Just one more

I got to thinking and doing the math and it was almost 35 years ago that I bought that SXS Ithaca 20 guage. As far as getting another firearm. I really do not want any more. Actually I want less and have been selling many fine firearms and have been enjoying doing so.

In the HT post about Classic riflles I mentioned a custom 35 Whelen, that will be gone next week. I bought a real fine spotting scope with what I got for it. I sold the other 1911 Colt 45 too. Happy to have it go into new hands, My hands got tired of holding it. I sold a pre WW2 Browning A5, a pre 64 30-06, and a long barreled model 94 in 30-30. More wil go, save for one.

I came out west 51 years ago. I had a fine new camper van and in it were two firearms. A lefever SXS 12 guage and my Safari grade Belgium Browning 30-06. I took a desert bighorn ram with that rifle.

Next fall I want to do trip around the west again, I have the newer camper van and I want three firearms in it. My Browning 30-06, that sweet SKB and a model 15 Smith and Wesson 38spl Combat Masterpiece.

Having too many guns reduces the sense of connection with each one.

I wil be 74 soon.
But take a backup for each one, lest your trip be threatened by a broken gun. At least that is how I do it.
Take 6 where three are needed. :)

We're here to help, brother. How can we get you into a classic lever gun today?
Oh my god. I have exactly what he needs. No, not me personally. I don't own Winchester multishooters, but this one is too good not to pass on to someone in need
pix646747784.jpg

Could be yours!

I used to shoot at pistol range where this old man who owned just one handgun simply amazed other shooters there. His one handgun was a 2 1/2 inch N frame Smith and Wesson 357 with adjustable sigths. He fired double action only too, and other shooters were just amazed at his small groups.

As a shooter ages the shorter sight radius makes it easier for old eyes to focus. We seniors just do not have the focal range we once did. Over the years I ended up with far too many firearms. I have got my handguns down quite admirably. It was hard, like going on a diet. All the autoloaderss were the first to go. Now I just have a set of S and W revolvers and each has a defined place of functiion. A small 5 shot j frame for comcealed carry, my model 15 combat masterpiece for fun and target shooting and a 4" 629 44 mag for when I lived and hiked in NW Wyoming. Stop there. More is just like fat.

Trimming the centerfire rifles down will was hard but I did it. Two 338's. really not needed, both gone. Same for the 300 win mag. They were fine rifles too. A Sako, another Belgium Safari grade and stainless New Haven Wincester. As mentioned earlier my 35 Whelen and a 30-30 and another pre 64, all gone to happy new hunter hands.

I sold a ever so clean Sako Vixen, a mint Savage 22/410 with a tennite stock. Also gone was my Savage .223 over 12 guage.

I met a fellow who lived in Alaska for decades and that was his only rifle.

Each one I sell feels like getting on the scale and happiiy seeing that I lost 5 pounds, and that my jeans are looser and more comfortable.

For each, well almost each firearm, I own I want a fitting functional place for it where I can enjoy it's use.

The "well almost" applies to my model 54 Wincheter Americas first bolt action rifle. It is an aperture sight only rifle, factory installed Lyman sights. When holding it, looking at it and taking it afield each subtlty of function, design and fine finish makes my hands still happy to hold it.

Anyway, I better get ready, in less than two hours a hearty lad of 39 is picking me up and we are going triple bird hunting for a potential mixed bag of quail, grouse and maybe even wild turkey.

That is where the SXS 3 inch Ithaca 20 guage does it all.

That hearty lad has no idea he willl be getting it as gift someday. It is really cool to see the look in a young hunetrs eyes, when I hand him a really fine firearm and say, "Here, this is yours now". Some things are better given away than sold.

The greatest hunter I ever was close friends with is long dead now. As a kid he was too young for WW! but worked closely with returning WW1 vets to help pass the Pittman Roberstson Federal aid to wildlife act.

As a gift they gave him a custom Springfield 30-06 with a rock maple stock. It was the only rifle he ever owed, With it he took every species of North American big game animals.

Less is more.

MR

As a gift they gave him a custom Springfield 30-06 with a rock maple stock. It was the only rifle he ever owed, With it he took every species of North American big game animals.

Less is more.

MR

Imagine a world where everyone was like this. Entire gun industries would be basically gone. Gunsmiths would be on welfare. Hunting would be boring, and Randy would be just another accountant with an uncontrollable fetish for Dairy Queens (blizzards, not state fair royalty).

HUNT TALK WOULD NOT EXIST - and we would not be here. OMG!

I don't want to live in a world like that!

Hunt one gun if you must, but own at least 4 or 5 dozen. Do your part to support the hunting economy (even if its the used guns).

:)

Oh my god. I have exactly what he needs. No, not me personally. I don't own Winchester multishooters, but this one is too good not to pass on to someone in need
pix646747784.jpg

Could be yours!
You sir, are an enabler. And that’s cool, but bluing looks a little unworn. I’m thinking something worn down to nickel steel. I could be persuaded that case hardening is needed however.

I've spent a hefty sum in the last 18 months so '22 may be a regroup year. I had 3 rifles rebarreled, 2 of which were also bedded and got new triggers, and one also got Cerekoted. I also picked up a new Viper HST for one of them. I picked up a Glock 20 10mm for a great price and another M&P 9mm, mostly because the box store it was loafing in incorrectly labeled it as a used Shield and priced it as such ($260!)
But........
I had a local smith rebarrel my 6.5/06 and I'm not real happy with it so it may go to Shaw for a do over.
My 338/06 shoots and handles so nice I'm considering getting a Z5 in place of the VX3 it currently wears.
I have a Rem 700 in 7-08HT with a bell and carlson stock that may end up with a mcmillan or Iota, not sure yet.
I do want to pick up a pair of 15x binos for glassing off a tripod. Leupolds are in the lead at the moment.
Also thinking about upgrading my SLC's to EL's.
When it comes to guns, every time I buy one, I discover 2 more that I want.
My short list at the moment includes
Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57
Christensen Arms Mesa - 6.5 creed
Bergara HMR also in Creed
I think I need a lever gun in a pistol cartridge
I want to find a really nice OU 28 gauge too.

Here's video of Brent packing up guns for a hunt:

If you had seen me last night... Down in the basement, packing for a 4-day squirrel, rabbit, poker-match trip. It was exactly like this only worse. I needed a rabbit rifle (.22 lowwall), a squirrel rifle (.22 Marlin 39A), an 1893 38-55 Marlin (rogue bunnies in the tall grass), and a vintage 1895 .45-70 Marlin - just in case. Then I had to decide which sights to match with which guns, and what ammo was needed.

And at least one shotgun is going and a pistol too. .45 Kimber 1911 or .22 Stevens M35? Decisions, decisions. but I'm sure all of you go through these problems every day.

If you had seen me last night... Down in the basement, packing for a 4-day squirrel, rabbit, poker-match trip. It was exactly like this only worse. I needed a rabbit rifle (.22 lowwall), a squirrel rifle (.22 Marlin 39A), an 1893 38-55 Marlin (rogue bunnies in the tall grass), and a vintage 1895 .45-70 Marlin - just in case. Then I had to decide which sights to match with which guns, and what ammo was needed.

And at least one shotgun is going and a pistol too. .45 Kimber 1911 or .22 Stevens M35? Decisions, decisions. but I'm sure all of you go through these problems every day.

I had one pronghorn hunt where I had two scoped bolt rifles, a drilling & a bpe double. Because you never knew what your wardrobe would call for once properly attired for the hunt.

:D

I just purchased a used model 70 Winchester In 300 win mag. Curiously I decided to find out the year of manufacture, it came back 1936. This struck me odd because the rifle is in new condition and the caliber was not available for another 30 years.So I contacted Winchester and they confirmed the date of manufacture. The stock is new and so is the barrel, just thinking that someone may have returned it to Winchester and had the action fitted to a modern caliber. Would this technically still be a pre 64?

All the cool stuff about a pre-64 is the action, right? Sounds like one to me. Could it be rechambered? If so, the old markings should be detectable I would think.

I'd just call it a .300 Win mag Model 70 and hunt with it. The elk won't care about the details.

Back