PEAX Equipment

Just one more

There a nice little 12 down the road for sale that may come home if it's still around in May. It needs some stock work though. Would be good for everything from early grouse to late roosters.

A few smith & Wesson's, 19, 629 & a 41 are on the wishlist.

Need to restore the 86 Winchester & might let a couple go that don't do anything but sit in the safe. Who knows.

If the right S&W Model 41 came along, at the right price, I might have to renege on my “no new to me guns in 2022” resolution. A local shop has a used Performance Center model but I want a 7” or 7 3/8” barrel.

Need to restore the 86 Winchester & might let a couple go that don't do anything but sit in the safe. Who knows.

I vote for the 86 restoration.

Why the 629? I have one of those and it may be the next thing down the road. Damn unfun gun.

I want a classic sxs or a light o/u that will last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I'm on a pump action budget.
If you’re looking to buy a double - I follow dogsanddoubles on a weekly basis. He posts a pretty wide range of double barred shotguns and it helped me learn what to keep an eye out for what going prices were.

I vote for the 86 restoration.

Why the 629? I have one of those and it may be the next thing down the road. Damn unfun gun.
You must not be shooting the right loads in your 629. I think 7.5 to 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 240 gr cast bullet makes a 629 pretty fun.

Edit - make that a 245 gr cast bullet.

Last edited:
My next rifle will be a super light mountain rig. Either a Weatherby Mountain Ti or a Nosler Mountain Carbon. I would have gotten it but I cant make a decision a cartridge. My heart wants a .257 WHY Mag. I would like it a little bigger for all around, but not sure why. I have a 270WSM, .28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 300WM, and .338 Marlin Express. Have .243 on small end. And of course I have all the others .308, 30-06 and I even got stuck with a 6.5CM. I don't need another gun, but I want one.

Trying to decide
.257 WHBY
6.5-300 WHBY
6.5 WHBY RPM
.27 Nosler

Then I dont own a OU shotgun and I want one.

I’ll be buying a .22 rifle this year. The bolt action Marlin .22 my dad bought for me when I was 10 has about a 27 lb trigger pull, and I’ve been itching to get something easier for my kids to shoot, when the time comes. Probably end up with a 10/22, as long as the markings are real crisp and clean…

You must not be shooting the right loads in your 629. I think 7.5 to 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 240 gr cast bullet makes a 629 pretty fun.

Edit - make that a 245 gr cast bullet.
This works well for a Ruger Redhawk too! 😉

I’ll be buying a .22 rifle this year. The bolt action Marlin .22 my dad bought for me when I was 10 has about a 27 lb trigger pull, and I’ve been itching to get something easier for my kids to shoot, when the time comes. Probably end up with a 10/22, as long as the markings are real crisp and clean…
There are some cheap and easy trigger fixes for Marlin bolt guns as well as some good aftermarket triggers too!

I should have just scrolled past this thread. I’ve already added to my list of guns I forgot I wanted from this post. Thank God there isn’t a gun shop here with a good selection of used stuff for sale.

Yes, there is. The biggest gunshop in the world is right at your fingertips right now and every day 24/7/365.

You are welcome! :)
It’s bad enough my browser history pops up when I open a new window. It’s all that I can do to not be on GB all weekend.

Thanks to the enablers here, I just spent the last half hour on GB. I want to let others know there is a nice Ruger No 1 in .25-06 AI and another one in .280 on GB right now. 🤦‍♂️ Someone should buy them cuz I won’t be.

Last edited:
No acquisitions planned. I'm putting together the next trip to Africa for lechwe, Barbary sheep, and whatever else that gets in the way. Plan to save my money for the trip and opening up the living room ceiling to hang more trophies. However, I will be upgrading my Dad's Springfield 30-06. Adding an optional rear leaf sight and reblueing the gun's metal. Also changing to quick detach rings. I had hoped to upgrade to a three-position Model 70 style safety but Ed LaPore sold his machinery to some guy who now is trying to peddle them for $475 ... in the white. Ugh! Guess I can live with the gun's present Buhler style two-position safety. The other improvements will be about $400 and I can do all the work but bluing. Adding a bit more of me to this future heirloom is a lot more satisfying than dumping another dust collector in the safe.

I have the money set aside and the green light from the wife on the 257 wby that I have long listed for. (This has been the case for two years now) I haven’t been able to bring myself to buy it, I’m afraid the magic is in the hunt!

I also have a couple of rifles that are getting some upgrades.

My dad has a 7400 in 270 that hasn’t seen the field for about 3 years dues to jamming issues. $300 and half a new gas system later we should be in business. Also getting rid of the awful see through rings for a solid Leupold base and standard rings. He has an affinity for Redfield scopes (I guess that was the scope when he was coming up) and I wasn’t able to find one of the old gloss models but I did locate a NIB revolution that will be an upgrade from the Chinese junk on there now!

No acquisitions planned. I'm putting together the next trip to Africa for lechwe, Barbary sheep, and whatever else that gets in the way. Plan to save my money for the trip and opening up the living room ceiling to hang more trophies. However, I will be upgrading my Dad's Springfield 30-06. Adding an optional rear leaf sight and reblueing the gun's metal. Also changing to quick detach rings. I had hoped to upgrade to a three-position Model 70 style safety but Ed LaPore sold his machinery to some guy who now is trying to peddle them for $475 ... in the white. Ugh! Guess I can live with the gun's present Buhler style two-position safety. The other improvements will be about $400 and I can do all the work but bluing. Adding a bit more of me to this future heirloom is a lot more satisfying than dumping another dust collector in the safe.
I feel like I’ve read a post about them before but what quick release rings are you running? I have a Remington 7600 that I was considering a set of the Leupolds for to still have the open sights

Thanks to the enablers here, I just spent the last half hour on GB. I want to let others know there is a nice Ruger No 1 in .25-06 AI and another one in .280 on GB right now. 🤦‍♂️ Someone should buy them cuz I won’t be.

I applaud your teamwork!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back