Just one more

BrentD

So, @VikingsGuy has gotten everyone to think about how miserable they would be if they had to give up all but one gun, albeit, in each of several categories.

But more realistically and enjoyably, what are you looking to add to your arsenal (bows, etc. included), for the coming fall? And then, what are you doing to make it happen?

I'm a bit torn. I don't have a scoped, bolt-action rifle. I could scope my Krag. Or, I might find a preWWII bolt rifle that already has a scope. I don't really want one, but I figure someday I'm going to be trapped into copper only bullets, so I need to do something, maybe.

But I also don't have a nice light (5.75# or less), 16-gauge, sidelock, Scottish double, preferably with a round bottom. So, that's kinda sorta on my list (and sorta maybe over my bank account).

I think this shotgun, or a close facsimile of it, is most likely to prevail over the rifle, but it's basically a first-come, first-satiated situation. I am perusing auction houses regularly and marshalling more funds by selling at least one shotgun so far.

Odds of happening? 50% (which is kinda high for this sort of thing).

8 months to go, the game is on. What are you looking for and how are you working to make it happen.

Similar to rwc101 - I want a sxs, but my budget is not built for it. My other issue is that I want a 20 gauge for grouse. This has made my search noticeably harder than expected especially considering I don't want any chokes tighter than MOD. My criteria of 20 gauge + the convenience of interchangeable chokes and a barrel safe for steel has led me towards the CZ Bobwhite G2. It will not scratch the classic sxs itch though. Still undecided, but I always scour the used racks at my local gun store for an oldie in the meantime.

My other main goal is a 44 magnum lever rifle. I was set on a Henry but after spending a lot of time considering different options, I'm leaning towards a new Winchester 1892. This gun would be mainly for still hunting and tracking so handling characteristics are more important to me than a scope. I spent some time looking at old Marlins, but I'm not willing to pay what people are asking for JM's nowadays - nothing against them though.

Neither of these are particularly pressing needs, but I would like to get one of these guns this year if I could. I'd say 40% chance I end the year with at least one.

Something old, something new as they say . . .

For next fall I look forward to finishing the build of my new shortish barrel (18") ultralight 7x57AI and associated handloads designed to run suppressed. Plus, I hope to have a classic light English double in 20, 16 or 12 depending on finding the right firearm at the right price - a move inspired by hunting with @Ben Lamb and @BrentD this last fall.

I want a classic sxs or a light o/u that will last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I'm on a pump action budget.
Google Rock Island Auction, check out their February auction and search for Ithaca SKB shotgun - I think there are three pairs of them. Buy one pair, sell one of the guns to recover 50-60% of your money and you are good to go. They have a high buyer's premium, but it may be doable on your budget.. (You can submit an off-site bid, and it can be conditional on having not won an earlier lot).

PS. I don't work from RIA, but I have bought from them once.

Bought three new rifles in 2021...Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308 Win., Winchester Model 70 Super Grade SS in .264 Win. mag, and a Browning X Bolt Medallion Maple in 6.5 Creedmoor (Manbun)...really quite happy with my rifle collection now. All set with shotguns, handguns, and rimfires too. If anything, I am tempted with the new 500+ fps crossbows...the Ravin R500 and the Tenpoint Nitro 505, though I need one like another "you know what", lol! Although it's rarely ever about need, right?

Google Rock Island Auction, check out their February auction and search for Ithaca SKB shotgun - I think there are three pairs of them. Buy one pair, sell one of the guns to recover 50-60% of your money and you are good to go. They have a high buyer's premium, but it may be doable on your budget.. (You can submit an off-site bid, and it can be conditional on having not won an earlier lot).

PS. I don't work from RIA, but I have bought from them once.
I had no idea the RI auctions had this much stuff. This is a dangerous place Brent

Yo @rwc101 You want a 12 gauge? Because the 20 in lot 2939 is exactly what I want and I might be dumb enough to bid for it. I figure it can't be that hard to resell that 12 anyways

New bow(s)- upgrade to my ‘09 Alphamax 35 (which I will keep because I love it), possibly go with a Ventum 33 but not certain what I’m going to go with.

I would love to add a longbow to the mix as well, looking at a few different Toelke bows.

I want the lightest possible 7mm rem mag but I don't really know where to start. Something manufactured or a custom build? Open to suggestions....

I think I’m out the new rifle game for 2022, especially with a caribou hunt scheduled, and a new CA Ridgeline .300 PRC from Santa.

But if miracles happened I’d probably look at something in an ultralight .308 like the Kimber Mountain Rifle.

Actually, now that I think about it, if I were to get something this year it would be a suppressor and threaded barrels for my 7RM and .308

My want-list is long and unfocused. Budget is low for such things right now too. But would love to stumble into a screaming deal for a lever gun, mostly Marlins but the right deal could get me wavering from that. Would love to find a Rem 760 or 7600 .30-06 carbine some day too.

There’s always a list of stuff to look for but this might be the year I just don’t spend much time looking.

Me and the wife just had this discussion last week. We're set on rifles, another turkey gun would be nice but not really needed. I bought a new muzzleloader and bow over the summer, so we're good there. What we don't have, is a s×s or over under shotgun. The next new gun will be one of those.

I'll probably bite when I find a S&W M&P in 10mm on the shelf. The thought that I could actually prevent a dangerous wild animal encounter is mostly fallacy. I've had black bear bluff charge twice. Both times, it happened so fast and was over before my mind even registered "bear".

The only time I would have a chance is when coming back to a meat cache on a return pack trip.

If I find a cool rifle at a reasonable price that talks to my soul, I'll buy it. I enjoy tinkering on them, finding a load it likes, and then talk myself into selling it when taking inventory of what I have. Redundant applications and unused firearms bother me.

I'd like to have my custom Marlin done, which should be soon.
Also going to be building an integrally suppressed bolt gun.
At some point I'll own a Winchester 1886 and a '71.

Can't think of anything in particular at the moment. I'm sure there'll be an impulse purchase or two that comes along. There always is. If anything I'd love to pickup another browning gold 10. I've been trying to pickup multiples of what I have and really like one for each boy. Plus I really love that gold 10 for geese.

I would have Grizzly Custom work over the Marlin Big Loop 45-70 but they aren't taking new orders til their backlog clears...their wording is none for the forseeable future.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back