Caribou Gear

Just got Starlink.

I have fast internet and cell service again. At home.
Middle of nowhere NM, sat. almost overhead.
Still have yet to see a Tesla car,or truck??

I just ordered Starlink for my home/shop I plan to retire to. I am currently on a DSL modem with 10mbs download and only 1mps upload.

The Starlink site says from 25mbs - 200mbs, which is screaming.

When my mom was alive I stayed at her place with 100mbs fiber, it was screaming.
Not sure how the waiting list works. We weren't on it for a year though. If it's any consolation, it works great. Hughes Net no more. mtmuley
I got lucky, I could order it for my retirement property today. I had to pay about $700, $600 was the hardware.

AFAICT, you can install with an iPhone or Android phone. EDIT: Also, best I can tell it's available across the entire USA.

Last edited:
It took a while to get it but well worth the wait.
So far it has only been down when power is out or a real heavy downpour with power on & off and it always comes right back on.

It took a while to get it but well worth the wait.
So far it has only been down when power is out or a real heavy downpour with power on & off and it always comes right back on.
I can't wait to get it.

How does that site address work in regard to using it in Roam mode? If I sign up for a specific address, can I still put Starlink into Roam mode and use it anywhere I go?

I guess what I'm asking is, can any Starlink us Roam mode and use it when you travel? Can I use Roam mode in San Jose even though I registered my Kelseyville address? Equipment is coming to San Jose and it would be nice to try it here, before I drop the $$$s on upgrading my sonic.net.

I can't wait to get it.

How does that site address work in regard to using it in Roam mode? If I sign up for a specific address, can I still put Starlink into Roam mode and use it anywhere I go?

I guess what I'm asking is, can any Starlink us Roam mode and use it when you travel? Can I use Roam mode in San Jose even though I registered my Kelseyville address? Equipment is coming to San Jose and it would be nice to try it here, before I drop the $$$s on upgrading my sonic.net.
There is a "mobile" version that is more expensive (150 vs 120), and has some other quirks.

There is a "mobile" version that is more expensive (150 vs 120), and has some other quirks.
But what about the standard non-mobile, can it be put into Roam and connect? Since it's Satellite, it seems you could in theory use it anywhere you want, but I see @mxracer317 mentions out of country, so they must be able to figure out where they're sending the signal to.

I guess what I'm wondering is if they can block the signal because it's not at the location registered to??? I saw the price for the mobile case, it was $250.:rolleyes:

But what about the standard non-mobile, can it be put into Roam and connect? Since it's Satellite, it seems you could in theory use it anywhere you want, but I see @mxracer317 mentions out of country, so they must be able to figure out where they're sending the signal to.

I guess what I'm wondering is if they can block the signal because it's not at the location registered to??? I saw the price for the mobile case, it was $250.:rolleyes:
Search Home Depot Starlink box. Save yourself $250. 😁

Too late, it's arriving tomorrow. :( Wait a sec, it's the same price at Home Depot, they charge $599.

Funny thing is that I see the ethernet adapter on Amazon for about twice what Starlink sells their for, seems Starlink sells it for $25 and Amazon sells it for $52.:unsure:
I’m talking about a DIY storage case

Short answer is no, you cannot just move the standard residential around at your pleasure, I'm sure it's all outlined in contract somewhere. They will certainly "know" where you are (it's 2-way communication) and they must limit the number of dishes sold per area, that's why there is, or was, a waiting list, depending on where you live. The mobile units have a downside in that they are deprioritzed relative to other users in times and places of heavy traffic. As more satellites are deployed this might be less of an issue, but it's offset with more users signing up.

Short answer is no, you cannot just move the standard residential around at your pleasure, I'm sure it's all outlined in contract somewhere. They will certainly "know" where you are (it's 2-way communication) and they must limit the number of dishes sold per area, that's why there is, or was, a waiting list, depending on where you live. The mobile units have a downside in that they are deprioritzed relative to other users in times and places of heavy traffic. As more satellites are deployed this might be less of an issue, but it's offset with more users signing up.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I will take it with me to the lake and set it up, was hoping to try it at home as it's arriving today. I guess that will need to wait until I get up to the lake. :(

One thing I will say is you guys have gotten me pretty excited about Starlink. Everything I read about it and what people have said here is remarkably good.

The one downside is the cost of the hardware up front, but it still seems fair. I have learned that we shouldn't expect anything for free in life, and some folks will look at leasing hardware for $20/mo as being a yearly cost of $240. I think we all need to make sense out of it for ourselves, but this is how I look at it...

Starlink doesn't provide a service contract, this is good and bad. Pro) it doesn't lock you in. Con) it can go up anytime. But in general it seems to leapfrog existing technology by using low orbit satellites, and currently faster than any of the competition. I do rely on my broadband when I'm working, although I am not currently working, I could work up in my shop with Starlink.

Starlink is certainly not the cheapest broadband, but I'm hoping it's the best.🤞

That is not my experience. I have starlink setup at my cabin which is 90 miles away from my house. I was able to bring the equipment home, changed my GPS coordinates in the Starlink app and had internet at the house in about 15 minutes. When I took the equipment back to my cabin i changed my GPS coordinates back to cabin location and had internet at the cabin. Starlink does compare dish gps location and where you say the dish is at and will not connect but I found it quite easy to change dish locations.

Edit - I think I had to change my GPS coordinates at starlink.com, not the app.

Last edited:
That is not my experience. I have starlink setup at my cabin which is 90 miles away from my house. I was able to bring the equipment home, changed my GPS coordinates in the Starlink app and had internet at the house in about 15 minutes. When I took the equipment back to my cabin i changed my GPS coordinates back to cabin location and had internet at the cabin. Starlink does compare dish gps location and where you say the dish is at and will not connect but I found it quite easy to change dish locations.
Good to know. Perhaps it was not an issue because you only moved 90 miles? Or they just don't care now that the number of satellites has increased substantially.

I recently installed a mini split at my hunting cabin. We have had both hot and cold weather in that span and it works absolutely fantastic for both heat and ac. The great thing about the minisplit is that it is Alexa enabled. I permanently mounted dishy on a post so I will now leave the internet permanently on and I can control the mini split from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. Will be great to turn on the heat/ac prior to me leaving the house to go to the cabin.

20231002_084153.jpg

20231002_084211.jpg

Screenshot_20231019_213514_Amazon Alexa.jpg

I recently installed a mini split at my hunting cabin. We have had both hot and cold weather in that span and it works absolutely fantastic for both heat and ac. The great thing about the minisplit is that it is Alexa enabled. I permanently mounted dishy on a post so I will now leave the internet permanently on and I can control the mini split from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection. Will be great to turn on the heat/ac prior to me leaving the house to go to the cabin.

View attachment 297922

View attachment 297923

View attachment 297924
Mini Splits are are awesome for that kind of application. mtmuley

Edit - I think I had to change my GPS coordinates at starlink.com, not the app.
Damn, I wish I would have known this, I left the dish up in Lake County. Mine wanted to scan for obstruction and said it had 6 more hours approx.

Just before I drove off, I tried a speed test in my truck just outside the shop and I was getting 27mbps-30mbps update. I get 1mbps upload in San Jose.... :rolleyes:
When I got home it said I had connected, but I didn't have enough time to play with it as it got dark and I don't have any lights in the shop...:(

Well we cut Elon's cordless cord. Fiber was ran in our county and it's faster & cheaper.

Starlink started throttling their data and they've increased their price 20% in just 2 years. Love the product but the management is turning into just another janky Internet company. It's a great service for those who are underserved for sure though.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back