Just got Starlink.

Well we cut Elon's cordless cord. Fiber was ran in our county and it's faster & cheaper.
That was my plan also, and in fact, there is fiber run in the subdivision my property is in. Unfortunately we're about 10 miles from town, and they ran the fiber over poles. At least that is what I'm told by a neighbor as his broadband was out for 3 weeks and his wife was unable to work at home, so he got satellite (HughesNet) and raved about how much better it was.
Starlink started throttling their data and they've increased their price 20% in just 2 years. Love the product but the management is turning into just another janky Internet company. It's a great service for those who are underserved for sure though.
Yeah, I guess I would be amongst the underserved. Even where I live in West San Jose, this is a very affluent area of Silicon Valley. Yet I get 1mbps on my upload stream...

You must have been downloading a lot of data if they were throttling you. :unsure:

After I can do more testing, I may upgrade to Starlink for my current home.

Went to the support page trying to buy the Ethernet Adapter for Starlink. It wouldn't let me add it to my cart, so I opened a ticket. Amazon has them for about $60, but Starlink sells them for $25.

The support person cut the chase and sent it to me, and charged my card. It was refreshing to have them take that initiative. Saved me $35.

Mine just died after a year or so.
Just ordered a business plan for ranch, not much choice here and it worked excellent.

I was going to make the jump to SL just for our county ran fiber directly to our house… hard to beat but I wish I had SL as an option 5 years ago when we had ViaSat.

Had Hughes Net many years ago and it was not as advertised for me.
When I had Hugh’s net I had the perfect amount of service to take 20 minutes to download a (page unable to download) screen. Quite the deal.

In laws just got starlink. They had satellite internet through Dishnetwork, I think. We aren’t scheduled to get fiber at our house until at least 2025. If it works out for the in laws we might getting star link to so my wife can work from home more.

Night and day difference. Hughs was useless.
I'm borrowing the pie shop link to double check my order and use the cell service.
I'm getting a Sat. Phone next, for back up.

Well we cut Elon's cordless cord. Fiber was ran in our county and it's faster & cheaper.

Starlink started throttling their data and they've increased their price 20% in just 2 years. Love the product but the management is turning into just another janky Internet company. It's a great service for those who are underserved for sure though.

6 months later and we're back to Elon's rocket train of night sky pollution.

The company that took $5 million in taxpayer dollars to perform "last mile" install of the fiber network has subbed out all work to what could generously be described as gypsy subcontractors. We've had multiple line breaks over the last few weeks, and this week we went down all day for 2 days. As someone running a small business from home, that's not acceptable.

When the fiber network is finally free from the crooks our county gave the funds too, we'll likely go back to fiber. But for now, 2nd Cousin twice removed Elon gets our filthy cash yet again.

6 months later and we're back to Elon's rocket train of night sky pollution.

The company that took $5 million in taxpayer dollars to perform "last mile" install of the fiber network has subbed out all work to what could generously be described as gypsy subcontractors. We've had multiple line breaks over the last few weeks, and this week we went down all day for 2 days. As someone running a small business from home, that's not acceptable.

When the fiber network is finally free from the crooks our county gave the funds too, we'll likely go back to fiber. But for now, 2nd Cousin twice removed Elon gets our filthy cash yet again.
Your cash is not filthy till after you give it to Elon….

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back