Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

JUST COULDN'T HOLD OUT!

My dear old man lived by two sayings and to me, it is the dichotomy of hunting:

1) If you wanna shoot big bucks, you gotta be able to pass up the little ones. (BTW- that’s not a little one)

2) If it’s good enough for the last day, maybe it oughta be good enough for the first day.

That’s a fine buck and you don’t need to justify him to anyone!

The trophy is in the experience... and the backstraps. Looks like a nice deer to me

Looks like a good one to me, definitely good to get one in the freezer! Trophy means something different everywhere you go, that would be the deer I’m passing others waiting for around here!

I get that!! Congrats on a nice deer! If I didn't have a son with an unfilled tag, I'd have shot a deer Saturday night. Decent buck at 12yds broadside and in the open. Hoping he shows up sometime when my son's in the stand.

I usually have one. It's getting a bit easier to pass em up but I still shoot whatever makes my socks go up and down at the time.

Every year it seems I tell myself the same thing. Quote: this year I'm going to hold out for that big one! The older I get the harder it becomes, and this guy Shorten my holding out again this year lol. Anyone else have that itch release finger like I do?
I told myself the same thing last year . . . even passed on a nice buck that I watched bed down, because he wasn't the boomer I'd seen trailcam pics of. As the day went on, I started kicking myself for passing up an easy shot. I ended up going back to where he was bedded, and when he stood up . . . BLAUKS! Good thing too, because the boomer never came back.

That's a wonderful buck! And he won't be, as my old hunting partner used to say, "so tough you have to cut the gravy with a knife".

Congrats! It’s absolutely about the hunt. I shot a young muley after a good long stalk and bumping a bigger deer. Doesn’t keep me up at night.

Congratulations! Here in the Hoosier state we are allowed 1 buck (unless hunting in a urban zone or reduction hunt) but are allowed almost unlimited number of does. I harvest does and don't drop a buck unless it is mature or has a very unusual rack aka "Big or Ugly". I never get on anyone shooting a buck that I would pass on because it is a personal matter when it comes to killing game. Again Congratulations on a fine animal and the delicious table fare.

I would not have passed that one up either. I consider him a great buck. Good job, and the main thing is that YOU are happy with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back