Just another Raghorn

Rat Fink

Not much of a story. My buddy and I explored a new spot yesterday. We walked 9.5 miles in generally wet and miserable conditions. About a 1/4 mile from the road headed back and just 20 minutes before legal shooting time ended, I ran into a couple of bulls. Nothing special just a couple raggies. I was carrying my new Montana Rifle Company .260 Remington and made my first kill with it.

Sorry about the terrible picture, something on my phone was messed up and screwed up all of the pictures. I fixed it now for the future.

Attachments

• 2015 Bull resize.jpg
    2015 Bull resize.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,129
Nice table fare, lead launcher, and enough horns for me, Well done! Even better that you didn't shoot him 4.5 miles from truck! What bullet are you using? I am just starting to work on a load with 140 grn partitions and 4831sc.

Nice table fare, lead launcher, and enough horns for me, Well done! Even better that you didn't shoot him 4.5 miles from truck! What bullet are you using? I am just starting to work on a load with 140 grn partitions and 4831sc.

Factory ammo for now. Nosler Accubonds, 130 grain. Shoots under .75 moa.

Nice. Always good when you can stumble onto one on the way back to the truck.

I'd give my left nut for that bull, especially 1/4 mile from the road. Congrats! It's always fun to take a first animal with a new rifle, too.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the definition of a raghorn?
Less than 5 points per side, non symmetrical, small bodied?
BTW, congrats on your Elk:D
Cheers
Richard

I'd give my left nut for that bull, especially 1/4 mile from the road. Congrats! It's always fun to take a first animal with a new rifle, too.

I have been fortunate enough to shoot quite a few elk, with some decent bulls among them. I am first, an elk hunter, not a trophy hunter, so I will usually shoot the first legal elk I see. I have never been able to tag an elk I didn't shoot.

I guess that is the long version of congratulations, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to shoot that bull...

I have been fortunate enough to shoot quite a few elk, with some decent bulls among them. I am first, an elk hunter, not a trophy hunter, so I will usually shoot the first legal elk I see. I have never been able to tag an elk I didn't shoot.

I guess that is the long version of congratulations, I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to shoot that bull...

I am the same way Shrapnel. I never pass a legal bull in a general unit. You would be proud, we loaded him whole after we drug him to the road. I love having a whole elk hanging in my garage for processing.

Nosler Customs? I have had really good luck with those out of my .260 as well.

Yes the Customs. Honestly it is about the only ammo for a .260 I can get around here. Thankfully it shoots well. I will start reloading for this rifle once I burn up enough brass.

Congrats on the bull Rat Fink!

Pardon my ignorance, what is the definition of a raghorn?
Less than 5 points per side, non symmetrical, small bodied?
BTW, congrats on your Elk:D
Cheers
Richard

To me a rag is a 2-3 year old bull that hasn't filled out yet. I've seen 6 point raghorns before. I've heard it said the name raghorn is due to the younger bulls retaining the velvet longer leaving what looks like rags hanging.

BTW I'll call immature muleys and whiteys raghorns too!

Good work
What did use to drag the elk btw? Curious - I was going to drag
A doe a couple weekends ago about a mile, mostly downhill after
300 yards I said piss on it and it went in the Mystery Ranch
Kudos and congrats man!!!

Back