Just another MT doe (w/ some video)

mtmiller

Well here is my last deer of the year. I picked up two mule deer depredation tags in this area. I took one last weekend and finished up yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, I crawled over the edge and spotted four does. At two hundred yards I picked out the one I wanted and flipped off the safety. Just as I was about to drop the hammer, I held up. I then pulled out my video camera and focused it on the doe.

The video turned out pretty good and the doe dropped in her tracks with a bullet through the neck. I always have to laugh when I see a hunting show and after the shot the deer runs 200 yards before it dies and the guide pats him on the back and yells "good shot".
rolleyes.gif

I tried to upload the video, but I don't think it worked (it is on the last page of "2003 big game folder), maybe it was too big.

Anyway, here is a picture. Anybody see anything strange in the photo? other than me, or the mix up on the crop job.
rolleyes.gif

MT_doe_3_1.sized.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-16-2003 16:03: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Geebus! How many freezers do you have?
wink.gif

Are those deer peeking over the hill at you? One looks like it might have some headgear.
confused.gif

Way to go, congratulations again. I just notice the shadow frame. I can't tell if those are deer at the top of the hill or not.

You got it 1-pt'er. My scanner is pretty poor, so they don't show up too well, but yes there are three does on the ridge.

Actually when I first decided to shoot I thought about trying for one of them. It would have been nearly twice the distance, but I thought it could be done. Common sense finally kicked in and I went for the sure thing.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Geebus! How many freezers do you have? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just have one chest freezer, but still plenty of room. I am down to one package from my WY deer. This doe will be jerky and my first attempts at sausage making.

congrats on the deer looks like a very nice doe. as far as the sausage go you can't beat mild italian mix in there
drool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Doesn't look like those deer in the background are very scared of you. Do the deer in this area get very much hunting pressure? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know if there is much pressure during the season, but I would assume there is since this is a Block Mgmt. Area with easy access.

This was not intended to be a hunt, but more of a mass harvest. The landowner is having problems with deer in the stacks already. The lack of forage and lots of deer is making things tough on landowners in this area.

Because of the early winter stress already, this is probably why these deer were not too spooked. They are spending most of their time within a 1/2 mile of hay yards.

I just finished stripping all the meat from this doe and there was zero body fat. As bad as we need moisture, I hope it comes in the form of spring rains.

MT,

I am just glad you don't hunt Elk, or our Elk populations would be suffering as badly as our deer populations...
wink.gif

Congrats, for the 20th time this year.....

Where is that attitude-infested dog???

Gunner-The flea bag was in the pickup and only joined me after I went back to get the sled.
biggrin.gif

As for elk, I have only hunted them a couple of times. I buy my OTC $16 tag every year and apply for limited areas around home. Pretty tough draws and if I don't get lucky then it just burns a hole in my wallet. Maybe I will get into it next year, but I will have to travel a couple hundred miles.

Gunner.. MAybe he didn't hear you the first time
smile.gif

MtMiller, You're welcome in My camp any time. Unlike Gunner, Maybe we could actually get off the roads and see some elk
wink.gif

Kudos on your Deer. I was wondering aobut your Flee bag too, It's almost like I enjoy seeing your gog more then you.. No offence I hope
eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>MtMiller, You're welcome in My camp any time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you should take the words "My camp" with a grain of salt. As he meant to say "My Portable Pleasure Palace".
wink.gif

Just make sure you take the single bunk, or otherwise he claims to get cold in the middle of the night and wants to do some snuggling.
hump.gif

Maybe you could get a Doberman for "personal" defense, instead of relying on Axl to ward off Moosie...
wink.gif

MTMiller...

Thats a great pic and beautiful scenery. How long have you been hunting and how many deer have you taken?

Way to go mtmiller, does that make 5 deer this year?? How do those depredation tags work?? Are they cheaper than regular tags or what?? I notice Idaho has them and once I move I wouldn't mind getting one so I could hold off for a good buck and still make sure I got meat in the freezer.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> How long have you been hunting and how many deer have you taken? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have been hunting since I was 12, so it has been 23 seasons. As for deer shot, I would guess around 40. I grew up in SD and was not really brought up with too much deer hunting (dad liked pheasant hunting though). I shot my first deer when I was 14 and was able to do more hunting as I got a drivers license and was able to take myself hunting.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Way to go mtmiller, does that make 5 deer this year?? How do those depredation tags work?? Are they cheaper than regular tags or what?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have shot six deer this year, three bucks and three does (actually 1 was a fawn). This is the most I have ever killed in one season. I still have a whitetail doe tag, but I would have to travel 150 miles and what is currently in the freezer will get me through the year. Depredation tags-these were extra tags that were issued because of too many deer for the amount of forage available this winter. The tags could only be used on private lands in specific hunt districts. The price was the same as a regular resident deer tag...$8 a piece.
eek.gif
Three hundered tags were issued on a first come, first served basis.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-16-2003 07:44: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Conrats (again!) mtmiller...looks like some good eats.

By the way- checked out the video clip...she went down like she'd been pole'axed
hump.gif

Good shootin!

MarvB

Back