Caribou Gear Tarp

Judge Rules in Favor of Corner Crossing Hunters

If the private property folks are mad,why don't they put up a fence blocking off their corner? I know that's what I'd do
This guy owns both opposite corners. Plus, if both private owners did it then it would block out the public. Big no-no.

The judge just needs to proclaim that the public is free to corner cross. No ifs, ands or buts! Private land owners cannot keep the public out of public land. Nor can they keep private landowners out of their landlocked holdings. This in no way infringes on the rights of private landowners.

The judge just needs to proclaim that the public is free to corner cross. No ifs, ands or buts! Private land owners cannot keep the public out of public land. Nor can they keep private landowners out of their landlocked holdings. This in no way infringes on the rights of private landowners.
That’s not how our legal system works. District court have limited authority.

Hard to see how a non WY hunter corner crossing in WY will face risk of millions now that this silly suggestion has been slammed by governing court.
I think a county attorney would be pretty crazy to pursue a case in Wyoming. Would be shocked if a Sheriff would scratch a ticket for it. Game and Fish hasn't written it for a long time.

Civil suit still possible, but even that seems very unlikely.

Even after listening to Randy's podcast 4, if I see a great animal and a hop is required, will likely be grim for the animal (in Wyoming).

I think a county attorney would be pretty crazy to pursue a case in Wyoming. Would be shocked if a Sheriff would scratch a ticket for it. Game and Fish hasn't written it for a long time.

Civil suit still possible, but even that seems very unlikely.

Even after listening to Randy's podcast 4, if I see a great animal and a hop is required, will likely be grim for the animal (in Wyoming).
Last year, in doing my research on two different units in WY, I spoke to two different wardens and was struck by how differently they answered the question about corner crossing and how they were handling it that season. I had one all but tell me to have at it and the other basically tell me not to be a dick and put him in that position, because it would make work for him and he'd probably cite me. I'd be curious to hear how his answer has changed, if at all (though I'd be shocked if he actually wrote a ticket, regardless).

Last year, in doing my research on two different units in WY, I spoke to two different wardens and was struck by how differently they answered the question about corner crossing and how they were handling it that season. I had one all but tell me to have at it and the other basically tell me not to be a dick and put him in that position, because it would make work for him and he'd probably cite me. I'd be curious to hear how his answer has changed, if at all (though I'd be shocked if he actually wrote a ticket, regardless).
If a warden cites you for corner crossing give me a call. It will get ripped up. That warden needs a talking to.

Hard to see how a non WY hunter corner crossing in WY will face risk of millions now that this silly suggestion has been slammed by governing court.
Whether you win or lose in court, you still have to pay for legal representation.
In Wyoming each party pays for their own representation regardless of who wins or loses.

At $250 to $350 an hour per lawyer it doesn't take long to get real expensive. More on a high orofile, high stakes case. Anybody that has ever used an attorney knows the costs don't stop when they walk out of the courtroom and they don't begin when they enter the courtroom.

They charge 20 minutes when their legal aid stamps an envelope, a half hour or more per phone call, etc.
Many cases are won or lost off the record just by bleeding the opponant financially.

Both sides of the issue have players that are fully charged and it would not be inconceiveable that the financial backing from interested parties will be there to fight this battle and to make an example of somebody. I doubt this issue has been laid to rest.

No doubt there are more and different charges an attorney can dream up to pay for the wife's next dream vacation. Win or lose, they make a nice paycheck.

Actually, why don't you and Buzz grab your ladders and give it a whirl this fall to test it and report back to us?

Last edited:
I did notice the judge was clear about them bot stepping foot on private. And I can see many people taking this to mean corner crossing is legal and then going out and crossing at fence corners without a ladder. I don't know how you could do that without setting foot on private.

Whether you win or lose in court, you still have to pay for legal representation.
In Wyoming each party pays for their own representation regardless of who wins or loses.

At $250 to $350 an hour per lawyer it doesn't take long to get real expensive. More on a high orofile, high stakes case. Anybody that has ever used an attorney knows the costs don't stop when they walk out of the courtroom and they don't begin when they enter the courtroom.

They charge 20 minutes when their legal aid stamps an envelope, a half hour or more per phone call, etc.
Many cases are won or lost off the record just by bleeding the opponant financially.

Both sides of the issue have players that are fully charged and it would not be inconceiveable that the financial backing from interested parties will be there to fight this battle and to make an example of somebody. I doubt this issue has been laid to rest.

No doubt there are more and different charges an attorney can dream up to pay for the wife's next dream vacation. Win or lose, they make a nice paycheck.

Actually, why don't you and Buzz grab your ladders and give it a whirl this fall to test it and report back to us?
I've crossed corners, stay on the porch.

If I had a tag this year I would do the same corner crossing I always have and not lose a minute of sleep. But of course each hunter needs to make their own choice, and as I have said many times on these threads there is a legal risk of over zealous (and land owner beholden) county attorneys. But your overstatements of “millions” by likely more than a factor of ten serve only one purpose - to scare people into an outcome the landowners failed to achieve on the merits in court. Fear, uncertainty and doubt - powerful tools of the bully. If all hunters corner crossed whenever necessary, this issue would get resolved quickly. There is no way thousands of cases are brought.

I did notice the judge was clear about them bot stepping foot on private. And I can see many people taking this to mean corner crossing is legal and then going out and crossing at fence corners without a ladder. I don't know how you could do that without setting foot on private.
The judge decided that if a land owner illegally blocks a corner in violation of the UIA that any non-destructive incidental trespass was excused. Makes sense - you shouldn’t be able to force someone into a violation to block a legal right.

Last edited:
It's always funny when someone that becomes a resident for a year or two is an instant expert on all things Wyoming. Corner crossing has been a common practice here for a long time.

I think Manitou1 has a stick up his ass because he can't figure out the Wyoming draw.

One would think a Wyoming expert could draw a pocket full of tags.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back