Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Jr. strikes again!!!!

nmtaxi

One of these days, this kid is going to have an unsuccessful hunt. Since passing hunter education last March, he's taken a turkey, an antelope and now a mule deer. He killed this deer on a NM youth hunt (forkies are still legal on youth hunts).
We set up camp on Friday about 3 pm, and went on a little drive just to get a feel for where the other hunters were and see if we could find some sign. In about an hour, we saw over 30 deer (4 bucks and the rest does and fawns). Saturday morning we decided just to hunt right from camp since there was a lot of fresh sign around. We went on a 2 and half hour hike, but the brush was really thick and we could never find a good spot to glass from. There was a lot of fresh sign, so I'm sure we were kicking out deer in front of us. When we got back to camp we decided to take a drive over to another mesa where we had seen most of the deer the night before. On our way up the mountain, we spotted this forkie about 50 yards from the road. My son had already decided that he would take any legal buck, so we got out of the truck and headed in the direction the buck had taken off. We didn't go far when I spotted the buck in some brush watching us about 75 yards off. In all the excitement I had forgotten to grab the shooting sticks, so I let my son shoot off my back. His first shot hit a tree next to the deer. It startled him, but he didn't run off. His next shot hit him right behind the shoulder. The deer ran off, but I knew he wouldn't go far. As we were walking to where the deer had been standing, we heard something thrashing around in the brush above us. I figured it was his deer, but wanted to track him from where the shot had taken place. We found the spot and the tracks, and after about 10 yards, found the blood. My boy sure thought it was cool following the blood trail "just like on the hunting shows". Of course the blood trail was only about 10 yards long before we found his buck. I don't think he or myself would have been any more excited if it had been a 30" buck. There is nothing more exciting or fulfilling than hunting with my son. Not bad for a 10 year old!!!
DSCF0480cr.jpg

DSCF0489cr.jpg

I remember being that age, and wanting nothing more than too shoot my first deer! Still had a 4 year wait... ;)

Awesome buck, congrats.

Congrats to the boy! He looks pretty pleased.

OSOK said:
I remember being that age, and wanting nothing more than too shoot my first deer! Still had a 4 year wait...
You and me both, OSOK.:rolleyes:

Oak

Awesome....great pics and story........brings back a ton of memories.

I am impressed, the youth end of RackAttack is putting us to shame this year and thats fantastic. Way to go Jr. your having a stellar year.

He is having a stellar year, and his ego is growing by the moment. I swear his head has swelled so much his ears scrape the walls when he walks down the hall. "Dad, I've already scored more fantasy points than you did last year, huh?" "Dad, I'm way younger than you were when you killed your first deer, huh?" "Dad, I'll bet you $10 you don't score more points than I do this year" (yeah, like I'm dumb enough to take that bet). He's due for a humbling experience. Maybe I'll but him in for all archery hunts next year ;) .

That is way cool. By the size of the deer's body I would have thought it would have been a bigger antlered buck ya know?????
Congradulations!!!!!!
Quick Draw

Still remember my boy's first one. Thanks for the pic, takes me back like it was yesterday.

Good looking lad btw, congrads.

It's a banner year for proud fathers! I know how you feel! I'm still on cloud nine from my son's first successful hunt! Way to go dad! Thanks for the story and the awesome pics!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back