Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Jeff Hagener, new FWP director

texrope

Bullock announced that Jeff Hagener will serve as the Director of the MT Department of Fish, Wildlife & Park..
What do you think?

As much as I might have had some differences with Jeff when he was the past director, he is so much better than our current guy, it is not even a comparison.

You Colorado guys shucked your past Director of Parks off to Montana. A guy who happened to be a college roomie of our past Governor. So, our Gov. appointed your former Parks Director, in spite of the fact that while in Colorado, he lead your Parks Department to the point of insolvency, requiring a bail out via combining Parks with your old Divisions of Wildlife.

I think this is a good appointment. I don't expect to agree with Jeff all the time, but he has a track record of letting his biologist and game managers do their jobs, rather than placing them in the political crosshairs and silencing them when they see something going amuck.

Hopefully our Governor will allow his FWP Director to "direct" rather than be "directed." Both the Director and the Governor are taking over a FWP department that is in shambles from a standpoint of morale and a department that is public enemy number one with this legislature.

Not going to be an easy job for Mr. Hagener. Who he ends up with replacement Commissioners will also make his life easier or more difficult.

Isn't he and the American Prairie Foundation anti-landowner and anti-cattle rancher? Something about buying up large tracts of land from ranchers and making tourist attraction bison farms?

Over under on what post # Eric Albus comes on here saying its the end of BMA's, hunter landowner relationships, and landowner trust of FWP. I am putting the line at post #35 and taking the over.

I think sportsmen will be well represented with this appointment. But I think landowners and outfitters will be pissed that a former MWF guy is now running FWP again.

Last edited:
What techinques are being used by the APF to force landowners to sell their property?

What right does anyone have to interfere in the legal transaction of a land purchase between a willing buyer and a willing seller?

Where is the law that says because you own property you have to graze cattle on it or mine it?

Anyone?

Over under on what post # Eric Albus comes on here saying its the end of BMA's, hunter landowner relationships, and landowner trust of FWP. I am putting the line at post #35 and taking the over.

I think sportsmen will be well represented with this appointment. But I think landowners and outfitters will be pissed that a former MWF guy is now running FWP again.

Jeff was only with the MWF a short time and currently is not.

What right does anyone have to interfere in the legal transaction of a land purchase between a willing buyer and a willing seller?

Where is the law that says because you own property you have to graze cattle on it or mine it?

Anyone?

Or allow public hunting/access on it.......Anyone?

Last edited:
Jeff was only with the MWF a short time and currently is not.

I understand that Tony. But you and I both know that's going to be to tool that the R legislators will be using to hit him over the head with all in the name of landowners and outfitters.

Which part? The part where he is/was on the National Council of the American Prairie Reserve? Or the other part?

The other part. Mostly what Buzz posted.

Edit note - I see Toad changed his comments while I was typing this one. I suspect people now think I am replying to a completely different thread. May as well remove my lengthy dissertation.

Last edited:
Edit note - I see Toad changed his comments while I was typing this one. I suspect people now think I am replying to a completely different thread. Oh well.

I see that I didn't really understand what I was responding to. Carry on without my ignorance.

Toad, you do realize that Hagener was first appointed Director by an "R".

BTW dude, a "D" won the Governer position. One would have expected a far more left leaning Director than Hagener. Maybe for your sake he should have picked one.

You wouldn't have been happy with anyone I suspect.

Last edited:
I understand that Tony. But you and I both know that's going to be to tool that the R legislators will be using to hit him over the head with all in the name of landowners and outfitters.

This may prove a little tougher for the R' s to get worked up over. Jeff was appointed by then Governor Judy Martz (R), removed by current Governor BS (D).

Toad, you do realize that Hagener was first appointed Director by an "R".

BTW dude, a "D" won the Governer position. One would have expected a far more left leaning Director than Hagener. Maybe for your sake he should have picked one.

You wouldn't have been happy with anyone I suspect.

You're right, that's why I edited my post. I guess my own ideological "hate anything democrat" got in the way of logical thinking.

Jeff is a great dude from my understanding. I say this as his daughter is one of my wife's best friends. A hunter and family man to the end for sure!

This may prove a little tougher for the R' s to get worked up over. Jeff was appointed by then Governor Judy Martz (R), removed by current Governor BS (D).

Very unceremoniously removed too. Jeff is a very good choice to rebuild the shambles of FWP.

I think Hagener is a good choice also. In fact, Gallatin Wildlife officially recommended him to Bullock. I'm sure we weren't the only ones. Surely not...!
Definitely some humor there. Maybe Otis Mule will make a video of Hagener moving back into the office he was abruptly evicted from previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back