Jarbidge Elk 2020

Oct 23rd - Pretty miserable night, everything froze, one of those nights where you put on most of the clothes you packed in and still struggle to stay warm. The alarm went off, I wasn't sleeping, and I jumped up, just wanting to get moving

That night we decided to get away from the crowd and try and hunt some elk we had glassed to the west of us. We thought a drainage 30 min south of camp would get us in the general direction but didn't want to go up it in the dark. We started walking at 6 with the idea we would be at the mouth of the drainage by first light. Warmed up during the hike down the trail and started to remove hoods, pack gloves, unzip jackets.

We came around a small bend and could start to see the mouth of the drainage, walking a little further I look up and see an elk coming from our left to right, moving from water up the drainage we were heading too. I drop my gloves, hiking sticks, and sat down right in the trail. The elk was really tan and I had a feeling it was a bull, threw up my rifle and confirmed that it was and said "I am shooting this bull"!

First shot hit him low thru the brisket which turned him around, he came down the hill about 10 yards and stopped, second shot hit him right in front of the shoulders and dropped him. Frustration from the opening day turned into elation, texting my family on the In Reach was a great way to share the information with them. At this point I honestly didn't care how big he was, I just shot a bull in Nevada.

Took a while to gather everything I had thrown down, I looked back up and no elk, what just happened. We gave it another 15 min but it wasn't needed, the bull dropped at the second shot, then rolled down the hillside a bit and got caught up on some trees.

View attachment 160959
View attachment 160960
View attachment 160961
View attachment 160962
View attachment 160963
View attachment 160964
View attachment 160965
View attachment 160966
View attachment 160967
View attachment 160968
View attachment 160969
Congrats’

This is an awesome story this will be my first year putting in for NV resident tags and I live in Elko. I’m praying for experience like this but I’m expecting just to eat humble pie if I do get a tag thanks for the story.

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing it and the pics. Beautiful country. Any elk, let alone a bull, taken out of Jarbidge tastes better

Congratulations, awesome story. We're headed out there on Sunday for my brother in law's late rifle bull tag. We're amped, and your story just added to the fire.
Hey turbobrick did you and your BIL get out to Jarbidge for his hunt? If so how did you guys do?

Hey turbobrick did you and your BIL get out to Jarbidge for his hunt? If so how did you guys do?
Yes we did. We had 4 days of zero visibility, with one day of clear sandwiched in. We spotted two bulls at first light on the clear day, dropped off the hill we were on, crossed the valley between, and climbed the ridge they were on. We had perfect wind, got to their level, and a small plane flew 100 feet up directly over them, and we couldn't relocate them. It was a heart breaker. My BIL has three little kids at home, and my sister is a teacher who is teaching from home, so those days were all we could have. But we had a great time, can't wait to get back at the elk again soon.

So I was extremely lucky and drew the unit 7 late season mule deer tag as a non resident with I think 3 points. I wasn't paying too much attention since I wasn't expecting to draw. My buddy is a back country nut who lives in Idaho. He as hunted the Jarbidge 3 times. Once for deer and twice for cow elk. I do have his experience, but am looking for any advice. I live in SD and have been very blessed to have harvested some nice deer, but this will be a very different hunt than what I am used to. This will be my first mountain hunt and will be looking for a mature animal. What is a realistic deer to hold out for there? I think our plan is to head into the Jarbidge first, but I know my buddy has a couple backup spots. Luckily, he is going to go down there and scout for me as well, but I know the deer move around there. Time to start getting in better shape!

Dang, I am glad this one came back around. Great story and great pics. If I had one Wilderness Area to trod the rest of my days, the Jarbidge would be in my Top 5. A special place, for sure. Congrats on a memorable adventure.

Very cool, congrats.
I’ve been fortunate to be a part of two 5-6 day backpack elk hunts in the Jarbidge in the last couple years. I agree with Randy, it’s an unbelievable place and I sure hope I can go back some day.

Congrats! Jarbidge is simply amazing. You will have a memorable hunt. Good luck!

Very cool, congrats.
I’ve been fortunate to be a part of two 5-6 day backpack elk hunts in the Jarbidge in the last couple years. I agree with Randy, it’s an unbelievable place and I sure hope I can go back some day.
May I ask if you saw deer in certain areas more than others when you were elk hunting?

Congrats! Jarbidge is simply amazing. You will have a memorable hunt. Good luck!
That's what I hear! My buddy says there are some nice elk in there so that will be fun to see along with the overall adventure in general. If I can bring home a mature deer, that will only be a bonus.

I saw a spring migration map. I am guessing the fall migration routes are the same. It appears most of the migration happens on the south end of 72, north end of 73. If I am lucky enough to get some weather, is that where you would focus your efforts if you were me? Thanks for any advice!

Sorry I’ve been traveling, graduating kids and generally off the internet for a while. Fall and spring migrations should be close to the same. Unless there is a ton of snow hunt as high as you can get. Good luck!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back