Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

James Swan on long distance hunting shots

I was just researching some target gong plans. Milk jugs are great and show a hit well, but steel is easier to set up. I'm gonna try to build the frame so it disassembles for easy transport. No matter how anyone feels about LR shots on game, getting out there and actually shooting LR will really help at shorter ranges. There's no better way to get to know your rifle than shooting the crap out of it. mtmuley

http://www.metaltargets.com/SpinningTargets.htm
These are pretty nice, I got the 12" large magnum gong. For the price it is hard to not just buy it instead. The hardened targets give out a much nicer audible ring VS the dull thud of thicker mild steel not to mention the hardend targets are a light lighter because they do not need to be nearly as thick

It seems to me that long range shooting is similar to going traditional archery equipment. Both increase the challenge and both can increase the risk of wounding animals. Practice practice practice and concur the challenge...that is a big part of hunting.

Just when you thought you have seen it all.....

This thread inspired me to pick up one of those new fangled magnums and give long range hunting a shot.
049-3.jpg

I don't recall the forum but I believe it was Pat who said:
"Some people know when and how to shoot, and some don't".
Sums it up.

I don't recall the forum but I believe it was Pat who said:
"Some people know when and how to shoot, and some don't".
Sums it up.
Amen!! Knowing how and when comes down to personal limitations......You need to know yours and only practice will teach you. Bowhunting I practice out to sixty yards but really would hesitate past forty, Rifle out to 600 but would prefer 400 if I can work it out. Patience and woodsmanship are the key, to me. ;)

Hey critter, I've shot 2 and 3/8 groups at 857 yards and I didn't have anyone build my gun. Factory Remmy, with a trigger job and my handloads. I'm not BS-ing. I don't have a picture, nextr time I will. The guy seemed to be exagerating to me. If he's not BS-ing, I apologize. mtmuley

That's some damn great shooting! I've got no reason to doubt you did it, especially with a factorty remmy......my factory remmy is a damn good shooter too, have never shot it over 500 yards so not sure how the longer grouping would be but it will shoot 1.5-2" all day at 200.

Someday I'll kill an antelope at 600 yrds. But I'll do my homework before attempting the test.

I'd also like to kill an elk with an arrowhead I've flint napped.

Back