Jack O'Connor

Brian in Montana

I am an avid reader, mostly fiction, but I've read most of Dwight Schue's work and some of Mike Lapinski. I was thinking today that it's been a very long time since I actually read anything hunting related that wasn't in a magazine (well, other than Pat McManus), and I've never read Jack O'Connor. Any recommendations? What's your favorite of his works?

I’ve been meaning to aquire a copy of Ruark’s Horn of the Hunter for the last decade.

...and yes, big fan of everything O’Conner.

Hunting in the Rockies
And the collection of 45 magazine articles in a book. I think it's just called 45 hunting adventures with jack o'Conner.

Thanks for the tip... Not heard of this author until now.
Goodreads is a great source for researching an author's books, chronology of authored series, ratings, publish dates, etc.

Elmer Keith has some good books as well. I am a big fan of Craig boddington too especially for anything Africa related. Death in the long grass is an excellent book as well. I can’t remember who wrote it tho

Grew up reading Jack O’Conner. Maybe why I have a couple .270’s. Lost Classics is a good one. Also, you may like Sheep @ Sheep Hunting. Sheep were his passion, I think some of his better writing is related to sheep hunting. Think he took his last Dall’s in his seventies.

My grandfather has three books by O'Conner that I have read several times, but they are not novels. The Big Game Animals of North America, The Hunting Rifle, The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America

Horn of the Hunter, by Robert Ruark and Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick are must reads I read over and over

Gordon Macquarrie has a trilogy of short stories, mostly about hunting ducks, deer, and grouse and fly fishing Wisconsin back in the 20s to 40s....Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, More Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, and Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters....great characters and I highly recommend those as well.

....and after I post I realize you're looking for Oconnor recommendations....whoops. Shoulda paid attention to the thread title.

I've not read his books so will keep an eye on this thread for recommendations as well!

crock239, actually some here, like myself, are always interested in good books to read, thank you

I had the opportunity to read a lot on those long plane rides and then when I took up sailing

O'conner, J Y Jones, Ruark, Boddington, Taylor, Capstick, Dinesen, Hemingway, Rosevelt ---so many good books about hunting . Besides O'Conner, JY Jones only wrote two books but I enjoyed them both. One Man, One Rifle, One land and Another Rifle, Another Land.

The Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway.. I had a close friend that lived in Angola in the late 40's and 50's he talked of the game in the central African highlands of the time.. Sounded like Hemingway's book..

Elmer Keith has some good books as well. I am a big fan of Craig boddington too especially for anything Africa related. Death in the long grass is an excellent book as well. I can’t remember who wrote it tho
Old Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor hated each other with a passion. Jack was all about the .270, Elmer called the .270 an damned adequate coyote rifle. Elmer was all about big, heavy bullets in magnum chamberings. I have most of their books, along with a lot of Jim Zumbo's offerings.

Check out John Barsness for some good modern hunting books. His gun back books are pretty good. For some other hunting authors, check out Steve Rinella, his American Buffalo book is outstanding.

Russell Annabel is another writer from that time period, excellent writings about Alaska hunting and fishing. Also wrote about the outdoors in Mexico.

Back