MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I've been living under a rock, caliber/rifle inquiry

While you've got the barreled action out of the stock, get some Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out. It's a foaming copper/fouling cleaner. Stuff is awesome. Make sure you oil the bore afterwards. Might as well start with a clean bore since you're going to do everything else to it. Check the crown, check the throat if you can.

Stress free bedding is worth the effort.

If you decide you don't like the box mag, BDL floorplates are easy to get. You can trim the ADL internal box to fit. Use the same follower and spring.

The Bix And Andy is really close to the triggertech…

I have a Triggertech Primary in my big horn I put together and honestly, it has just a slight edge over the bix and Andy.

The Bix And Andy is really close to the triggertech…

I have a Triggertech Primary in my big horn I put together and honestly, it has just a slight edge over the bix and Andy.
Good news, I have two other 700 that may benefit from an updated trigger. I've heard the x mark, or whatever it is, isn't much better than pre 2000s. I also don't know much and making it up as I go.

Good news, I have two other 700 that may benefit from an updated trigger. I've heard the x mark, or whatever it is, isn't much better than pre 2000s. I also don't know much and making it up as I go.
Timney, BixNAndy or triggertech would all be good options. I also use a Rifle Basix Sav-2 in my savage rifles.

Triggertech being my recommendation. One of those three should have a trigger for whatever system you have.

Timney, BixNAndy or triggertech would all be good options. I also use a Rifle Basix Sav-2 in my savage rifles.

Triggertech being my recommendation. One of those three should have a trigger for whatever system you have.
I appreciate the info.

Triggertech gets good reviews too.

So, I don't know what I don't know. Without testing each one, I'm relying on reviews. Anything I should be looking for in an aftermarket one?

I never owned a custom trigger until I installed a Timney in my WWII Springfield last year. Since I've never tried any of the other brands, I can't tell you if they are better, but I can tell you changing to that trigger made a huge difference at the range and in the field. Others may be "better" but Timney is certainly good enough ... and then some.

I appreciate the info.

Triggertech gets good reviews too.

So, I don't know what I don't know. Without testing each one, I'm relying on reviews. Anything I should be looking for in an aftermarket one?
Most of these triggers are “closed” units. Other than a set screw for adjusting pull weight, they are pretty much “user-proof”. You’ll destroy them trying to open them up is my take.

They all seem to have different sear designs and all are on par with someone who knows how to stone a sear and set a trigger.

I’m not saying I am that good, but I’ve be got an older stevens 200LA that I’ve been using to learn how to work a trigger and I won’t put a rifle basix into it because I think what I’ve done is better,…

I’d be hard pressed to spend that much effort on one again with the quality of bixNandy, triggertech, rifle basix or Timney.

With the option of finding others (geissle comes to mind) that offer single and double set triggers, what level of performance do you care to buy.

If you’ve never shot a single or double set, wow, you’re in for a treat. Standard 3 lb pull with the option of a 6 oz pull…

Personally if I was wanting to stay under 1k I would buy a Tikka. Put the money saved together with what you were going to spend on a really great scope.

Most of these triggers are “closed” units. Other than a set screw for adjusting pull weight, they are pretty much “user-proof”. You’ll destroy them trying to open them up is my take.

They all seem to have different sear designs and all are on par with someone who knows how to stone a sear and set a trigger.

I’m not saying I am that good, but I’ve be got an older stevens 200LA that I’ve been using to learn how to work a trigger and I won’t put a rifle basix into it because I think what I’ve done is better,…

I’d be hard pressed to spend that much effort on one again with the quality of bixNandy, triggertech, rifle basix or Timney.

With the option of finding others (geissle comes to mind) that offer single and double set triggers, what level of performance do you care to buy.

If you’ve never shot a single or double set, wow, you’re in for a treat. Standard 3 lb pull with the option of a 6 oz pull…
I've never used a two stage trigger, other than a TC renegade. I couldn't see a use for this rifle needing one, do they work the same as the old muzzleloaders?

I've never used a two stage trigger, other than a TC renegade. I couldn't see a use for this rifle needing one, do they work the same as the old muzzleloaders?
Pretty much. If you pull the main trigger, it’s a long, harsh and heavy pull. Kind of by design.

But pull that set trigger…

That primary is a shooters dream.

You are on the right track. Any 700 that isn't broken that is properly bedded and floated and properly assembled and torqued should shoot as well as you can.
I have an old Sportsman 78 that has a beautiful BDL Gloss Monte Carlo Stock and a Zeiss Conquest on it. Shoots 130gr TSX groups touching at 100yards. Just took a little work bedding and floating.

You are on the right track. Any 700 that isn't broken that is properly bedded and floated and properly assembled and torqued should shoot as well as you can.
I have an old Sportsman 78 that has a beautiful BDL Gloss Monte Carlo Stock and a Zeiss Conquest on it. Shoots 130gr TSX groups touching at 100yards. Just took a little work bedding and floating.
The B&C stock shows up tomorrow. The Magpul magazine showed up today. The trigger isn't due for another 1-3 weeks, unfortunately.

The gun was disassembled, cleaned (even though it was cleaned after the last range trip), reassembled, blue thread locker, made sure the scope rings/bases were tight and equal. I did notice both rings had uneven gaps. The crown looks good, inside of the barrel is shining like new, bolt moves smooth as butter. And laser bore sighted.

Probably won't get to the range until this weekend or next due to prior commitments. Before I start butchering the new stock to fit the Magpul stuff, I'm going to see what it'll group.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back