Caribou Gear

I've been living under a rock, caliber/rifle inquiry

If it were me...I'd try cleaning that 700 really well with some copper solvent.

Then I would remount the scope with quality rings/bases, float/bed, try a couple different brands and weights of ammo and see what happens before I bought another rifle.

In a worse case scenario I'd send my action to pacnor and have them install a new barrel.
I helped a friend with an inherited rifle that wouldn’t group worth a flip by doing this. Good advice.

Good advice so far. Copper solvent, rings, mounts, scope.

I have a bad feeling you're going to get a new rifle, put the same scope on it, and have the same problem.

Or just use one of your other rifles. I've shot deer with my .375, and, since I don't keep the ribs, no big deal.

I have a Rem 700 30-06 that’s doing the same damn thing! It’s always been a very accurate rifle…now 3” to 4” groups at 100 yards. I’ve tried so far, new synthetic stock, Timney trigger, new Leupold scope and base’s, cleaning it with copper solvent. Still the results are the same. I don’t reload so I’ve tried 8 different factory ammo loads and they all seem to be about the same. The gun has sentimental value to me I’ve had it for 31 years, so I’m looking for a gunsmith to see what he or she can do with it.
That being said…I bought a 300 win mag Browning Xbolt back in July from my brother!
I’ll fix the ‘06, but it was a good reason to buy another one!

Last edited:
Good advice so far. Copper solvent, rings, mounts, scope.

I have a bad feeling you're going to get a new rifle, put the same scope on it, and have the same problem.

Or just use one of your other rifles. I've shot deer with my .375, and, since I don't keep the ribs, no big deal.
I'm going to take it apart and make sure everything is tight and right, taking the comments into consideration. If that doesn't work, a friend of a friend is a gunsmith and I'll see what he says. I would rather get this one shooting straight, it's more sentimental than anything.

That 375 hasn't been shot in about 5 years. You, sir, have inspired me to take it shooting soon.

Fix the 30-06. That can be fun. My Springfield was inconsistent. Dad made it for me in 1962 so I wanted to make it work and finish out my career with it. I wound up doing a lot to it and now shoots very well. New scope, rebedded it (twice), changed mounts to steel rail, changed rings from Weaver extended to Warne QD, added Timney trigger, and eventually changed barrels. Never have tallied the cost so let's see what I spent: $99 for Nikon 3x9 BDC (on sale), JB Weld bedding material ($0 on hand), $85 Warne rings, $35 rail from SARRCO, $60 for used never installed Timney trigger, and $95 barrel off eBay, shipping included. I also bought a new front sight and ramp and a used like new rear sight from 1990s Model 70 but that didn't improve accuracy (just versatility). Recently had it reblued for $150 including shipping (purely cosmetic, did nothing to improve accuracy). That's a fair bit to spend on a gun that originally shot Japs but it now looks and shoots great ... and it's Dad's gun. Still cheaper than buying a new one ... and 1000% less clunky than some plastic stocked millennial special.

Fix the 30-06. That can be fun. My Springfield was inconsistent. Dad made it for me in 1962 so I wanted to make it work and finish out my career with it. I wound up doing a lot to it and now shoots very well. New scope, rebedded it (twice), changed mounts to steel rail, changed rings from Weaver extended to Warne QD, added Timney trigger, and eventually changed barrels. Never have tallied the cost so let's see what I spent: $99 for Nikon 3x9 BDC (on sale), JB Weld bedding material ($0 on hand), $85 Warne rings, $35 rail from SARRCO, $60 for used never installed Timney trigger, and $95 barrel off eBay, shipping included. I also bought a new front sight and ramp and a used like new rear sight from 1990s Model 70 but that didn't improve accuracy (just versatility). Recently had it reblued for $150 including shipping (purely cosmetic, did nothing to improve accuracy). That's a fair bit to spend on a gun that originally shot Japs but it now looks and shoots great ... and it's Dad's gun. Still cheaper than buying a new one ... and 1000% less clunky than some plastic stocked millennial special.
I'm already looking at replacement parts. Since it's an ADL, I want to convert to a drop mag. My understanding is there's just a box that needs to be unscrewed off the bottom of the action for the blind magazine.
Shooter or not, you're right. I can't find anything I like and I'd rather spend the money on good stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would just call this guy and buy this rifle for $978.00. It is way better than what you will find in your budget range, and it will outshoot most anything else you would get for the money...

SAKO FINNBEAR L61R - 1 of 3SAKO FINNBEAR L61R - 2 of 3SAKO FINNBEAR L61R - 3 of 3
Guns International #: 102098380
Seller's Inventory #: 635889
Category - Sako Rifles - Rifles - European Sporting

Seller's Information
When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com
Verified Seller

Seller: Guns Dot Com
State: Minnesota
Zip: 55337
Phone: (866) 582-4867
Platinum Seller
Active Listings:
Total Listings: 86384
Seller Type:FFL Dealer

I'm already looking at replacement parts. Since it's an ADL, I want to convert to a drop mag. My understanding is there's just a box that needs to be unscrewed off the bottom of the action for the blind magazine.
Shooter or not, you're right. I can't find anything I like and I'd rather spend the money on good stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Since yours is an ADL you'd have to either get a new stock or inlet the bottom of yours for the bottom metal

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back