Do you own a scout rifle? Is it worth getting one?

I used to think that they were a cool concept, but eventually cooled to the idea. Seemed very “purpose-driven” instead of “all-purpose.” Decided that I could get a little more flexibility for my use out if a low powered standard setup and compromise with a 20-22” barrel instead of the 16” (I hate the muzzle rise from a short barrel, not to mention the ballistics loss)

Last edited:
I have a Ruger Scout. I really don't use it much as its not really a hunting gun per se. Fun to shoot and i think if I truly had to have one gun for protection and hunting it would make the list. I see mostly lever guns on here. I really consider a true scout a bolt action as Jeff Cooper designed it, but If we consider just a gun with scope forward then they are very useful in close tight situations. I use a lever for bear in the thick crap. Thye are faster to target acquisition.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.jpg
    IMG_3562.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0924(1).jpg
    IMG_0924(1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I've got the steyr scout with a leupold 2.5 IER scope in leupold QR rings. It's a fast rifle on target. I'm really happy with mine. The forward mounted scope takes some getting used too though. With a scope and sling it comes in overweight from the original design parameters but it's not that heavy. All up i think mine is close to 8 or 8.5 lbs. With ammo. I don't think many of the current scout offerings from any of the manufacturers can make weight though. As a general purpose rifle I think it's a good setup. Short, accurate, not too heavy. mine has a built in bipod, two mags as well as pop up aperture sights and all work really well.. It's not a 500 yd hunting rig, at least not the way I have mine setup. Probably 300 at most. Some of the new scout scopes are variable with ranging ability that allow you to target at longer distances accurately. Depending on what you are looking for I think it could be a good option for some. I didn't buy mine as a hunting rifle per se. I have always just liked the concept and wanted to play around with it. Mine was pretty spendy though. All of others are cheaper.

Got a buddy from midland texas , he has a bus load from guns and lots of CVA scouts in various caliber, all are super accurate, his latest is a 35whelen that is legit Tack driving SOB .67 moa and legal as a primitive weapon in the state his folks live in, I will have a stainless CVA 35whelen by fall , 200gr ttsx @ 3000fps ( no clue why it’s primitive weapon? ) but it’s basically a beast 200-250gr and nilgai beware

Yes, the CVA line up of break actions is very popular here. Particularly the 35 Whelen. I went with the .35 Rem in the Scout because it is very compact and light weight and a lot of my hunting during the “ primitive” season is in very thick cover. I will probably end up with a .35 Whelen as well, because why not 😀

If the rifle is 35 caliber or larger, breech loading, and has an exposed hammer, it is classified as “primitive” and can be used in the “primitive” season. Kinda illogical…

Gave the scout rifle idea some thought, but I didn't much care for it in the end. If I think I need quick shooting, I go for irons on a conventional (if perhaps a bit shorter) hunting rifle.

I like the Savage Hog Hunter for the purposes many seem to associate with "scout rifles". When I did bear over hounds in 2020, I switched from my usual scoped 22" rifles to my 20" iron-sighted Hog Hunter.
Something I found out years ago is going to iron sights for speed is a waste of time. Go to low power scope's. My favorite hunting scope is a 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield. Much faster than iron sights for me and can aim well at a lot more range. That handgun scope I looked at attached to the barrel was even faster yet, of course it was a low power scope. But then again how much speed do you need and still shoot well?

I've got the steyr scout with a leupold 2.5 IER scope in leupold QR rings. It's a fast rifle on target. I'm really happy with mine. The forward mounted scope takes some getting used too though. With a scope and sling it comes in overweight from the original design parameters but it's not that heavy. All up i think mine is close to 8 or 8.5 lbs. With ammo. I don't think many of the current scout offerings from any of the manufacturers can make weight though. As a general purpose rifle I think it's a good setup. Short, accurate, not too heavy. mine has a built in bipod, two mags as well as pop up aperture sights and all work really well.. It's not a 500 yd hunting rig, at least not the way I have mine setup. Probably 300 at most. Some of the new scout scopes are variable with ranging ability that allow you to target at longer distances accurately. Depending on what you are looking for I think it could be a good option for some. I didn't buy mine as a hunting rifle per se. I have always just liked the concept and wanted to play around with it. Mine was pretty spendy though. All of others are cheaper.
How heavy 8 pounds is actually depends on how good of shape your in!

My grandfather gave me a TC Hawkin .50 cal percussion gun with a forward mounted pistol scope. Is that a scout rifle?

I've got one of those! Took a few deer with it before moving to CO.

I'm guessing that's a handgun scope? Saw one on a bolt action up in Alaska. Fastest getting on target I've ever seen. I think the trick is he eye relief!
It’s a Scout scope but a handgun scope would work. Handgun scopes are usually higher magnification so your field of view would be less.

Something I found out years ago is going to iron sights for speed is a waste of time. Go to low power scope's. My favorite hunting scope is a 2 3/4x Redfield Widefield. Much faster than iron sights for me and can aim well at a lot more range. That handgun scope I looked at attached to the barrel was even faster yet, of course it was a low power scope. But then again how much speed do you need and still shoot well?
I agree entirely. I'm in the process of adding QD rings and iron sights to my Springfield but not for fast acquisition. My scope took a couple of hits when hunting rough country for elk last year. Also two days the weather was absolutely horrible. Now I can take the scope off, slip it in the leather bag I made for it, drop it in my daypack, pop up the rear leaf sight, and I'm ready to go.

For forty years I did just fine with an old Weaver 3x. Only upgraded recently because I wanted clearer glass with better poor light properties. This Nikon's 9x is handy for a better look at a buck's horns but I usually keep it on four power. Buffalo hunting I ALWAYS keep the scope turned down to 3x. That gun has detachable Leopold mount/rings and iron sights but I stay with the scope. My PH backs me up with .458 Lott with a red dot holographic(?) rear open sight.

Last edited:
Agree here also. All of my scoped hunting rifles bottom out at 3x, and I can acquire a target with them as quickly as with irons. If I need more gain, I have it.

I think a scout rifle is a scoped, short, lightweight rifle, maybe also with iron sights. And since for the past 55+ years I've successsfully hunted most of the North American big game animals and dozens of other animals around the world, I guess that I don't need one.

They have always seemed like the perfect solution to a non-existing problem to me.

I've many times tried to think through a scenario where they would be preferable to anything else I already own. Considering now you can get a 1-4, 1-6, and even 1-8 variable scope, I just don't see the point of the EER setup, unless you own a Mosin and don't want to drill the receiver and adjust the bolt :)

I think a scout rifle is a scoped, short, lightweight rifle, maybe also with iron sights. And since for the past 55+ years I've successsfully hunted most of the North American big game animals and dozens of other animals around the world, I guess that I don't need one.
There are also requirements for integrated bipod,ching sling attachments, etc etc

My buddy has the steyr scout, it’s works for hunting the east… it’s definitely more for “combat” than hunting.

@noharleyyet’s is highly practical I’d go with that.

Last edited:
There are also requirements for integrated bipod,ching sling attachments, etc etc

My buddy has the steyr scout, it’s works for hunting the east… it’s definitely more for “combat” than hunting.

@noharleyyet’s is highly practical I’d go with that.
Woody Harrelson wants to buy it...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back