It’s not just corner hopping…

I don’t mean to change the subject but there’s a very similar situation in the Judith River WMA. Mining company owns a strip literally only 8-10 yards wide making 1700 acres of Wildlife Management Area completely inaccessible. Used to be kind of a grey area, but the new FWP map has it specifically labeled as “inaccessible WMA”
F*ck those f*cking f*cks. This kind of stuff pisses me off. It is so intentional to keep out the public. I'm taking up pole-vaulting....
 
To clarify, they can choose weather or not to allow you through their land to access a state section, but if they allow you on their land that is adjacent to a state parcel, they can't prohibit you from crossing the fence to state, can they?
Yes, they can. The permission granted for you to enter has stipulations attached. Violating the stipulations thereby renders the permission null and void and you are no longer lawfully there.
 
By statute, most state lands exist primarily for the purpose generating revenue for the state to support public education. NOT primarily for the public's recreation. Subtle, but important, difference from federal lands and their charters.

I hunt some state land parcels in MT that mostly are open to recreational use (including hunting) - except when there’s active logging going on and they close them for recreational use. The state has that authority, and I would assume a similar authority for closing them for other reasons. I don’t love it, but I get it.
 
I don't think state land should be allowed to be enrolled in BM, but remember that state land is not public land.
This cuts to the gist of it. State Land is by definition not public land. You can be excluded from hunting a state parcel of land enrolled in a BMA even if it’s legally accessible without signing into the BMA. You cannot be excluded from hunting a piece of BLM that is included in a BMA if it is otherwise legally accessible.

I’m generally okay with state land being enrolled in Block but on a case by case basis.
 
This cuts to the gist of it. State Land is by definition not public land. You can be excluded from hunting a state parcel of land enrolled in a BMA even if it’s legally accessible without signing into the BMA. You cannot be excluded from hunting a piece of BLM that is included in a BMA if it is otherwise legally accessible.

I’m generally okay with state land being enrolled in Block but on a case by case basis.
That is accurate.
 
Just another reason amongst the myriad of reasons why state land management sucks balls.

Back to the original post, I know of several similar sections of state land where the old railroad ROW across the state was sold to the private landowner and cut off access. The 60’ strips of land are now posted by the landowner. I had a buddy who was accessing across it that was ran out by the landowner. Great job DNRC, you fricken jackwagons
 
  • Like
Reactions: DFS
There is the also a landowner that got paid for a conservation easement but tends to be always shut down especially during archery season for fire danger. Back off track. A lot of abuse in the bma program imo.
 
Is it time to shift the discussion to NR hunters and Montana mule deer seasons?
More likely time to think about shifting wasted money to long term access. But if that’s the way you want to take things I’m here for it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,101
Messages
2,249,818
Members
39,093
Latest member
other_waters
Back
Top