It’s not just corner hopping…

Interesting - thats a powerline not a RR.

Ive got no idea, and only questions, why an easement through the state property (retains state ownership) wasnt done in lieu of it getting into private hands with the sole purpose of restricting access.
I know that spot well. It is an abandoned railway. The powrrline is parallel. The non-access from BMA to State is a Meagher County specialty. Townsend Ranch does the same shit
 
A lot of people put state land in block to control the access of it. I should have said I know of several in the previous post.
 
I assume the rail road ROW way reverted to the state once abandoned and the state sold that ROW to current landowner. Is that correct? Or did the landowner by the ROW before it could revert back to the state? This one seems really muddy on how they gained ownership.
 
I looked into this spot one time.. That is a portion of the old Milwaukee Road ROW that was originally part of the Jawbone Railway. I went to the courthouse and if I remember correctly it predates statehood, and is deeded land. An equally significant portion of the same ROW parallels Sixteen Mile Creek all the way to the old railroad town of Lombard above Toston Dam. If accessible it would provide astonishing access to Sixteen Mile Creek.
The ROw was sold to private landowners after the Milwaukee Road ceased operations in the mid-70’s. I often imagine how different things would be if the state had been at the table or purchased these lands, but as far as I know it was not and it did not.
Most railroad easements in Montana are perpetual easements that only revert - for practical purposes - never. They are essentially legally unassailable, legal creations from a time when railroads were the absolute kings of commerce. This particular ROW was not an easement but a grant.
 
A lot of people put state land in block to control the access of it. I should have said I know of several in the previous post.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they are allowed to do that. I used to live close to a piece that was accessible from the highway that would get enrolled in block management every year.
 
I can't for the life of me figure out why they are allowed to do that. I used to live close to a piece that was accessible from the highway that would get enrolled in block management every year.
Probably multiple reasons. Not to piss the neighborhood off. These ranchers live out there and have to deal with neighbors just like we do. Also we use to have a great price of block here in 5 that’s since sold it had the same rules the elk would leave their property and bed on the state. I get why you would do that to keep the elk around I personally don’t hunt elk in their bedroom I’ll wait and kill them in transition that afternoon most people don’t have that mentality. So by keeping people out of their bedroom you could actually kill more elk because they have some safety to retreat to.

As far as some of those other easements time use to be a lot different some of this stuff happened when the free world was being built. I asked a friend about it once and how their family had a bunch of slivers of private down thru a draw he said it was all done so they could move cattle from their ranch down to low ground. When a lot of that was happening those people could have cared less about recreation they just wanted to survive.
 
Probably multiple reasons. Not to piss the neighborhood off. These ranchers live out there and have to deal with neighbors just like we do. Also we use to have a great price of block here in 5 that’s since sold it had the same rules the elk would leave their property and bed on the state. I get why you would do that to keep the elk around I personally don’t hunt elk in their bedroom I’ll wait and kill them in transition that afternoon most people don’t have that mentality. So by keeping people out of their bedroom you could actually kill more elk because they have some safety to retreat to.

As far as some of those other easements time use to be a lot different some of this stuff happened when the free world was being built. I asked a friend about it once and how their family had a bunch of slivers of private down thru a draw he said it was all done so they could move cattle from their ranch down to low ground. When a lot of that was happening those people could have cared less about recreation they just wanted to survive.

The piece I'm talking about is accessible from a public road. You don't access it private property. A landowner gets to control access to an easily accessible piece of state through block management. That's wrong in my eyes
 
The piece I'm talking about is accessible from a public road. You don't access it private property. A landowner gets to control access to an easily accessible piece of state through block management. That's wrong in my eyes
Well I mean he could just pull block management then you don’t have shit?
 
You'd have access to the state land that he would no longer have enrolled in Block Management.
Think one of has some wires crossed I was under the assumption the state was only accessible from the bma. If it has a public access point such as a road that landowner can pound sand
 
So if I understand it correctly, a publicly accessible parcel of state ground, that I can access any other time, becomes inaccessible unless I have permission during hunting season because a landowner can formally enroll that parcel into their BMA.

Is that correct?
Can state land be enrolled in BMA?? That's a load of crap.
 
Last edited:
Can state land be enrolled in BMA?? That's a load of crap.
1790693848398.pngAn example. Section 36 off the Ingomar road is publicly accessible according to the DNRC Public Access Map. However, it is enrolled in this ranch BMA and the little box at the top of the map makes sure to call out that state lands are included. They can't limit access to accessible federal land, but they can to state.
 
Can state land be enrolled in BMA?? That's a load of crap.
View attachment 418300An example. Section 36 off the Ingomar road is publicly accessible according to the DNRC Public Access Map. However, it is enrolled in this ranch BMA and the little box at the top of the map makes sure to call out that state lands are included. They can't limit access to accessible federal land, but they can to state.
You can access any state piece with legal access (ie. county road, etc.) regardless of what that map says.

If it would have no other legal access than thru the BMA enrolled deeded land, then yes, they can control it.
 
I looked into this spot one time.. That is a portion of the old Milwaukee Road ROW that was originally part of the Jawbone Railway. I went to the courthouse and if I remember correctly it predates statehood, and is deeded land. An equally significant portion of the same ROW parallels Sixteen Mile Creek all the way to the old railroad town of Lombard above Toston Dam. If accessible it would provide astonishing access to Sixteen Mile Creek.
The ROw was sold to private landowners after the Milwaukee Road ceased operations in the mid-70’s. I often imagine how different things would be if the state had been at the table or purchased these lands, but as far as I know it was not and it did not.
Most railroad easements in Montana are perpetual easements that only revert - for practical purposes - never. They are essentially legally unassailable, legal creations from a time when railroads were the absolute kings of commerce. This particular ROW was not an easement but a grant.
Well done.
 
You can access any state piece with legal access (ie. county road, etc.) regardless of what that map says.

If it would have no other legal access than thru the BMA enrolled deeded land, then yes, they can control it.



"Some legally accessible tracts of Department of Natural Resource Land (State School Trust Land) are formally enrolled in the Block Management Program. Formally enrolled State Land must be posted with contact information for the method of obtaining permission. If a BMA contains formally enrolled State Land, it will be noted in the Access Guide and on the map. Please contact regional FWP staff to verify accessibility and use rules for accessing public lands contained within BMA boundaries."

This makes it seem like even if it does have public access, you still need permission if it is enrolled.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,099
Messages
2,249,677
Members
39,092
Latest member
jgarren
Back
Top