It Happens

Mostly just curious of average age. Assuming most hunters shoot "large" rams, I would think we could assume most are in the FC class +/-.

Lenght and base measurements are all over the board. Some areas are known for bigger aheep, but not necessarily will they all get big. Personally I thing age trumps all score, all animals.

But for an area like the Breaks, if the average age 9f ram killed is 7, an old sheep might be 9 years. Where as an area on the front could be 11. I don't know just curios to see stats.

Well Bambi,
Most Rams shot are "big" and in the last decade only one 13 YO ram was killed, 2@11, 7@10. 5-9 YOs were 24, 24, 35, 32, 28. So, most Rams are 5 1/2 to 9 1/2, with the 7-8 YOs making up 41% of all the Rams killed.

I too think age is a great way to judge a trophy... But if I figured out the 10 YOs age before I killed my Ram, I would have still killed my ram! ;0)

Thanks for sharing. I assumed those rams didn't live too long. And it lines up with that study. The study was on thin horn sheep.

I wouldn't have passed on your ram either, I really like the look.

I once heard that really infamous breaks sheep guide say that most of those breaks rams don't live past 8. They just seem to die off then.

What an awesome hunt, and ram. I like those really long, unbroomed guys.

Kudos to you for beating off the hoards of people that probably wanted to come along. Miller's right in that you just don't see that hunt done solo it seems.

Congrats on the beautiful ram, and thanks for sharing a great story and photos.

I once heard that really infamous breaks sheep guide say that most of those breaks rams don't live past 8. They just seem to die off then.

It would be interesting to know the average life expectancy for both rams and ewes for these sheep. Are the ewes also dying at an earlier age than the state wide average?

Great story! Sometimes it sucks to be out there alone, but like you said it sure feels good when you're all done! Congratulations on a nice ram!

Great story and very nice pictures. That's a great ram, looks to be 6 1/2, or am I missing a growth ring?

Great story - thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to write up a similar story in the coming days - just have to get permission from the shooter (he's not a member here).

Congrats on a great hunt and doing it solo. The Breaks are an awesome place to spend time in.

Im REALLY having a hard time deciding what to do with this ram... ugh... Full? Ped? Euro??

Aaaarrrgh!!!

And for those of you laughing, I LOVE Euro mounts...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back