Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

It ain't over till it's over

fmnjr

I'm a first time pronghorn hunter who got awarded a tag in unit 10 Nevada. Huge area and last couple weekends I've been all over it. Seen a lot of lopes and took a couple unsuccessful shots so I'm going back next weekend to take one last whack at it.

Sure is a lot of them buggers lolling about on them pivot fields!

I imagined the following conversation between two lopes: "Sure is sweet hanging out on these pivots during the season don't ya think? Yah, says the 2nd one, gotta love the private land where nobody can touch us that is surrounded by public land. Both comments followed by lots of knowing sniggering."

Seriously though, it's been a wonderful time so far. My wife and kid went with me this last weekend. We got on some early the first day, when we got going he said "This is so cool, I'm so exicited!!" and I knew he was hooked right then and there. With him feeling that way, there's no way my wife won't be there. Can't lose situation, right?

Sounds like you are having a fantastic family adventure.

Hope you get on them again, and trust that you'll pull it all together. Find a great rest, steady, breath control, squeeze, BOOM!

I was about to go on my first antelope hunt some years ago and asked my neighbor what I needed to know, as he’d gone several times before. He said, “bring lots of bullets”.

I took my last antelope in 102 just outside of a pivot field as they were working their way towards it. We also saw several decent bucks just outside the refuge border on the eastern edge. My son took his buck very near the gravel pit that is east of the Ruby Marsh road south of the Harrison Pass road. Every time we have hunted area 10 for antelope there was no shortage of bucks to look over.
Good luck to you.

Sounds like a good time hunting but you need to concentrate on doing whatever is necessary to make a perfect shot. Steady as she goes....

I took my last antelope in 102 just outside of a pivot field as they were working their way towards it. We also saw several decent bucks just outside the refuge border on the eastern edge. My son took his buck very near the gravel pit that is east of the Ruby Marsh road south of the Harrison Pass road. Every time we have hunted area 10 for antelope there was no shortage of bucks to look over.
Good luck to you.
Haven't gotten over to the east of the marshes yet thanks for pointing that out. I've got a couple places figured out involving pivots that I might use. We were more successful in Newark Valley and found one group at the south end near 50 that we might visit on our return trip. Thanks!

Sounds like a good time hunting but you need to concentrate on doing whatever is necessary to make a perfect shot. Steady as she goes....
My main problem this last visit was the bipod on my gun is too short for the conditions. I'll have a better one this time that gets over the top of the grass and shrub.

By the way, I wanted to ask for advice about using decoys? I see them being used in hunt vids but don't have direct experience and, if they work, would like to invest in one that works well.

So we kept at it and were ultimately successful in taking a lope. It was a great time, lots of ups and downs. At one point I was thinking about what it would be like to go home without one after spending three weekends trying to take one. About the time I was having those thoughts we were driving across the valley on a two track and....bam....the same buck we'd been following but had lost came across the track in front of us with two does flat out. Talk about stunned. But we got excited again and glassed them running until they settled about 600 yards out. The two track ran parallel to them so we slowly followed along and soon came up abreast of them about 400 yards out. Stopped the truck and saw there was a berm perfectly placed from which to shoot, got out, ranged him at 375, set up, shot him through the lungs and watched him expire after walking about 20 yards further. It was bittersweet because, though the boy and I were on adrenaline, my wife burst into tears. God bless her, she soon recovered and joined us in the field to quarter him and take care of the meat properly. So many folks helped along the way I don't really know where to start to say thanks except that the group on this site is just fantastic! I've been helped here in so many ways as a new hunter, thanks all.
IMG_0807.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back