Yeti GOBOX Collection

It ain't over till it's over

Put your belly in the dirt before you pull the trigger.
I had a buddy guide a famous US TV hunter once here in Alberta. He was walking down a cut line with him and a 200" plus WT came out on the line and stood broadside at around 200 yds. The hunter was adamant that he get on the ground to make the shot. Every time he went down to the ground he couldn't see the deer over the brush between them. My buddy insisted he get his ass up and make a freehand shot as he figured it was a done deal. In the end the deer walked into the bush never to be seen again! The guy said, "I'm not comfortable with that shot!" My buddy was upset as he can still close his eyes and picture that buck perfectly on the cutline.......always practice several shooting scenarios and you will be ready when it's game time!!

I had a buddy guide a famous US TV hunter once here in Alberta. He was walking down a cut line with him and a 200" plus WT came out on the line and stood broadside at around 200 yds. The hunter was adamant that he get on the ground to make the shot. Every time he went down to the ground he couldn't see the deer over the brush between them. My buddy insisted he get his ass up and make a freehand shot as he figured it was a done deal. In the end the deer walked into the bush never to be seen again! The guy said, "I'm not comfortable with that shot!" My buddy was upset as he can still close his eyes and picture that buck perfectly on the cutline.......always practice several shooting scenarios and you will be ready when it's game time!!
Kudos to the "Famous US TV hunter" For not taking a shot that is was uncomfortable with. Personally, I don't see many people at the range that have any business taking 200 yds, offhand shots at anything.

Heck yeah, that's what it's all about!! Way to stay after it and get it done. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

IMO if you cant make a 200yd freehand shot on a deer that's broadside, you better hand in your hunting stuff. I would like to see how some shooters would hunt the BIG Boreal Forrest with their bipods and sandbags. good luck!!

IMO if you cant make a 200yd freehand shot on a deer that's broadside, you better hand in your hunting stuff. I would like to see how some shooters would hunt the BIG Boreal Forrest with their bipods and sandbags. good luck!!
I would definitely like to shoot with you sometime.

Triggerstick or walking stick or shooting sticks or fence post or tree trunk can all provide a more steady platform for a 200 yard shot than offhand. They also make very tall bi-pods though I find them flimsy when fully extended.

Probably the wrong way to do things, but I was taught how to shoot freehand and when we were growing up there was no such thing as bipods and shooting sticks. Practice , practice, practice....the opposite of what Allan Iverson would say. My one buddy can't hit the side of a barn on a bench, but man can he shoot freehand, its a pleasure to watch! The speed and accuracy he has standing with that old pump action Remington 30-06 is magical to watch.

Probably the wrong way to do things, but I was taught how to shoot freehand and when we were growing up there was no such thing as bipods and shooting sticks. Practice , practice, practice....the opposite of what Allan Iverson would say. My one buddy can't hit the side of a barn on a bench, but man can he shoot freehand, its a pleasure to watch! The speed and accuracy he has standing with that old pump action Remington 30-06 is magical to watch.
Not long ago I attended something called a "Four day precision rifle class". The class is organized around the techniques of shoot offhand and from a rest, about equally I think. It's tough class to score high in due to the offhand stuff. After a couple of days shooting from a rest, most new people like me get it and start doing pretty well. Not so much with the offhand stuff, it's a whole other animal for sure. Some day I'll get the hang of it.

Because other hunters with rifles....I get it but where we were there were no other hunters in sight. Probably a better policy not to use them at all for rifles anyways for safety's sake.

This. You never know when some dude with a Gunwerks set up is gonna pull up on a side by side, take two steps off the road, declare he can't possibly get any closer, and start taking 1200 yard shots to show what a bad mofo he is when he actually connects on one.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back