Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Is the grass always greener?

Well, the freedom of decision making is there when single, but my concern would be moving to a real small community where there are fewer options to find a lady. Now I live in beautiful area with a relatively small community of 75k in town, which already is tough for single folks, especially as I'm no spring chicken at 49. Luckily we have the rest of the surrounding areas so if one is willing to drive an hour for a date then there are options.

While I think I'd likely relate to a higher percentage of ladies in a mountain town, the opportunity numbers make me hesitant. If I had a wife on board, I'd be totally comfortable going pretty remote with land for my horse and dogs.

For example, I love the mountains within an hour of Cody, WY, but it looks like a mighty small community.

Anyone have thoughts on options for the single folks out there?

Cheers,

Steve
During the last census my towns population was 310. Pretty sure I'd have had better odds anywhere in the west especially after factoring in that about half the women in my town are relatives.

Well, the freedom of decision making is there when single, but my concern would be moving to a real small community where there are fewer options to find a lady. Now I live in beautiful area with a relatively small community of 75k in town, which already is tough for single folks, especially as I'm no spring chicken at 49. Luckily we have the rest of the surrounding areas so if one is willing to drive an hour for a date then there are options.

While I think I'd likely relate to a higher percentage of ladies in a mountain town, the opportunity numbers make me hesitant. If I had a wife on board, I'd be totally comfortable going pretty remote with land for my horse and dogs.

For example, I love the mountains within an hour of Cody, WY, but it looks like a mighty small community.

Cheers,

Steve
Think of it this way
Per capita of ladies who’s families are land rich is much higher.

Think of it this way
Per capita of ladies who’s families are land rich is much higher.

That's funny, when hunting WY a local friend was listing off the 1 or 2 single ladies who came from big ranch owning families.

Suppose it's all relative. Coming from a bigger city 75k is definitely considered very small, yet in comparison to some of you and my relative's farm town Manitoba, Canada, where there's just 100 people and no traffic lights, 75k is pretty large.

If I moved to a smaller community, as an immigrant at least I wouldn't have to worry about my date being a second cousin. :)

is this Greener?

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...er-storm-closing-roads-causing-traffic-havoc/

https://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.TownResults?SelectedTown=Jackson

Cheers,

Steve
Quite a few of the single people I know here have used web based dating programs, some with success in finding a long term partner or spouse.

I Literally think about this every single minute of every day.
But how am I gonna pay for my cool shi* and cat food?

Move out to the mountains and something will probably eat your cats, problem solved. I had i think 6 cats at one point. Dont know where they are, but i still got plenty of lions, coyotes, bobs and wolves around. :unsure:

Move out to the mountains and something will probably eat your cats, problem solved. I had i think 6 cats at one point. Dont know where they are, but i still got plenty of lions, coyotes, bobs and wolves around. :unsure:
The audacity of those predators living where you moved to. ;) At least you understand the dynamic. Wiley Coyote is probably thanking you for introducing a new, tasty, treat.

I've also learned that a guy needs to make the best of things no matter where he is, he will be happier that way
This is what I’m striving to accept and do.

15 years ago I pushed hard to move to Bozeman, but my wife, who grew up in San Diego, worried about the winters. She also wanted to live somewhere more metropolitan. We settled on Portland. It was a good compromise at the time. We both make better money here than we would in the inter-mountain West—she’s an RN and I’m a public school teacher—and at the time we moved here, fishing was my priority, so Portland was a great option. As we’ve gotten older and had kids, my priorities have really changed, and I’ve come to really dislike living in a big city. Where I grew up, a two minute bike ride put me at the edge of a large tract of public land where I could knock around, build forts, and shoot my BB gun. My kids won’t have that here, and it bugs me. But we’re pretty well dug in here with jobs and a house and community. So as often as possible, we get in the truck and get out of town to mess around on public land. There’s plenty around, just takes some planning and effort to get to to make the most of things.

is this Greener?

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...er-storm-closing-roads-causing-traffic-havoc/

https://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.TownResults?SelectedTown=Jackson

Excellent! Definitely greener.

Interesting insights. We obviously hit on the big one - family obligations - as a mitigating factor, and some economic realities of moving from larger areas to smaller. Weather is a factor too, but coming from northern New England less so for me. All have various levels of influence on our "what if" thoughts.

Myself, I have thought the Dakotas (I enjoy my waterfowl) had appeal, particularly SD for no state income taxes. Montana/Idaho/Wyoming for the obvious reasons many here daydream about too. More recently Western Kentucky has entered the thoughts as well due to what they have and proximity to other states that offer a variety of hunting options, including but not limited to waterfowl and whitetail. The lack of a real winter there also has some appeal after getting snowed on all my life for about 6-7 months of the year.

Little update....my wife and I were talking to a local business owner and told them about possibly moving west. Well this person use to live in Loveland, CO and spoke highly of this town. So we went home and started digging. Loveland is hiring jobs in both our fields and now we are planning on visiting there to see if we could call it home. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this area or Fort Collins/Greeley?

Little update....my wife and I were talking to a local business owner and told them about possibly moving west. Well this person use to live in Loveland, CO and spoke highly of this town. So we went home and started digging. Loveland is hiring jobs in both our fields and now we are planning on visiting there to see if we could call it home. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this area or Fort Collins/Greeley?

That would be an area I'd consider in your shoes. Growing for sure, might be a little pricy but has services and proximity to recreation.

Here is a cool cost comparison site: https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/detroit-mi/loveland-co/50000

IMO the U.P. is an underrated destination. Different way of life and a much better pace to life. I'd consider moving there. That said, the mountains do have a draw to them!

The Front Range is a hot mess with the amount of growth, traffic is terrible and house prices are outrageous IMO. Despite the traffic and house prices, it's a place we frequently visited coming from Wyoming. It always seems to be warmer, less wind and always something going on. There's no denying the availability of jobs though. As you know, there's a lot of really good opportunities for hunting and fishing in Colorado.

On another note, If you're looking for green grass it's legal in Colorado!

Back