Caribou Gear

Is the grass always greener?

The Front Range is a hot mess with the amount of growth, traffic is terrible and house prices are outrageous IMO. Despite the traffic and house prices, it's a place we frequently visited coming from Wyoming. It always seems to be warmer, less wind and always something going on. There's no denying the availability of jobs though. As you know, there's a lot of really good opportunities for hunting and fishing in Colorado.

On another note, If you're looking for green grass it's legal in Colorado!
Thanks! Not looking for that type of grass though! Lol

I think "clannish" might be more appropriate

(of a group or their activities) tending to exclude others outside the group.
"they are a clannish lot with no time for foreigners"

Similar:
cliquey
cliquish
insular
exclusive
unfriendly
unwelcoming

Which is typical of remote areas and small towns in general

No. Clannish implies they might actually like each other. lol

A cult is another word for religion, and a clan is a word meaning extended family.

You would NEVER catch me moving to the UP. You would ALWAYS be an outsider.

I worked with a bunch of those guys up in Alaska. No thanks. Whatever "cult" they were from they didn't drink alcohol (at least in front of each other).

I do know this, they were damn hard workers and would work the pants off of any man I have been around bar none. They were very proud of being from the UP. Almost too proud in a weird kind of way. I guess I have never been proud to be from anywhere in my life. At least not on that level to act arrogant about it.

I am sure the place is pretty. lol

No. Clannish implies they might actually like each other. lol

A cult is another word for religion, and a clan is a word meaning extended family.

You would NEVER catch me moving to the UP. You would ALWAYS be an outsider.

I worked with a bunch of those guys up in Alaska. No thanks. Whatever "cult" they were from they didn't drink alcohol (at least in front of each other).

I do know this, they were damn hard workers and would work the pants off of any man I have been around bar none. They were very proud of being from the UP. Almost too proud in a weird kind of way. I guess I have never been proud to be from anywhere in my life. At least not on that level to act arrogant about it.

I am sure the place is pretty. lol

Ha! I actually know (and am related to) quite a few people in the group you are referring to, and the not drinking alcohol in front of each other is definitely true. Also, some like to keep the TV hidden in the basement closet. I think it is worse in some spots of the UP like the Keweenaw down towards Marquette. Definitely can be hard on some kids in certain schools if they are not part of the "cult". Pretty sure parts of the UP wouldn't have it too bad.

I would say the grass is always greener. Sure AK might be a really cool place. But do you want to live there? You get times when the sun never goes away, and times when the sun never comes up. Very high cost of living. No thanks. The mountains have always intrigued me, but I've never felt a drive to move there. It's one of those things where I don't want to leave family here, and I fish a lot and what's better than having 10,000+ lakes in your state? I fish new lakes all the time and couldn't imagine fishing the same lake or 2 over and over and over.

I can get to most western states in a day-long days drive. That's the beauty of it. As long as I make it a priority every fall, I can hunt out there every year without issues.

Back