Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is it too late to move stands?

Mainer207

So, I’m hunting a new piece of state land this year and got a bit of late summer scouting in. When I set the seats I was worried about the ease of access, but had trail camera intel and went for it.

Here I am, watching grouse hunters run their dogs under my stand and listening to hikers chat it up a hundred yards or so away. My fault for underestimating the draw to public land.

Is it too late to pull my hang ons and reset them? I’m hoping to move them and hunt them right away. Or should I just hope that the cold weather slows down the public land traffic? There’s new sign in the areas, but I’m worried it’s all nocturnal movement.

Thanks!

I agree. I wouldn't hunt near that many people. Check wind at your new location and go for it.

Taking a stab at this spot. The line denotes a peak where I think a buck may bed. I’m not a seasoned hunter by any means, but this looks like a nice funnel. My seat currently sits a half mile below this spot along a pond edge that’s full of sign. Hopefully, the deer funnel down from this high ground down to the pond.

Thoughts?

19A14265-8C3F-4D97-ABAA-79BEEA1FECB6.jpeg

I prefer a mobile set-up. Often, I have a general idea of where I'm going to hunt based on wind/etc., but wait until I find the best sign before climbing the tree. I have a few spots I'll hunt multiple times per season, but mostly it's go in, hunt it once, then move.

As you can tell, I have some time this morning while riding the train to work. I also lack hunting buddies, so y’all are getting my caffeine fueled brainstorm!

We're starting to get signs of the rut in Wisconsin. If you are getting doe sightings, and doe on camera in the area of your stand, then I would leave it there. All bets are off when the bucks get rutted up and being 300 yards off a trail should be far enough.

Taking a stab at this spot. The line denotes a peak where I think a buck may bed. I’m not a seasoned hunter by any means, but this looks like a nice funnel. My seat currently sits a half mile below this spot along a pond edge that’s full of sign. Hopefully, the deer funnel down from this high ground down to the pond.

Thoughts?

View attachment 118140

During the day the bucks will be cruising or bedding along the top 1/3 or so of those ridges to catch rising thermals or be in the thermal tunnel. You need to move up and be on the leeward side of the ridges. A mobile setup is the way to go.

Its never to late to move your stand and try something different. I've had some great sits just running and gunning and trying different areas - you also learn a lot about the area that way.

During the day the bucks will be cruising or bedding along the top 1/3 or so of those ridges to catch rising thermals or be in the thermal tunnel. You need to move up and be on the leeward side of the ridges. A mobile setup is the way to go.

Would you suggest setting up on the top of that knob?

I would leave those sets where you have them and just hunt them on the crappy weather days when the general public won't be out and about. if it's full of sign now deer are using it in the dark now but may switch to more daytime movement over the next month. Next I would buy a couple more small cheap hang-on stands and put them in the new area. Like mentioned above, never be afraid to move a set. I try to do it on windy days to cover some of my noise made when hanging them. But you can't kill em where they aint, so get where they is ! :sneaky:even if it costs you some time to move or set up new stands.

I like flats and anything that narrows down their movement on that flat. So maybe NE of your purple mark. On top but a narrow area if there is good sign there. You will also get more stable and predictable winds on top than you will in the valleys.

Hunt in a tree that you are confident in. Otherwise, the whole hunt you will be doubting your move. I try to hunt ridges and scout as I sit. I would try to use the public to your advantage, they often offer good drives!

I would leave those sets where you have them and just hunt them on the crappy weather days when the general public won't be out and about. if it's full of sign now deer are using it in the dark now but may switch to more daytime movement over the next month. Next I would buy a couple more small cheap hang-on stands and put them in the new area. Like mentioned above, never be afraid to move a set. I try to do it on windy days to cover some of my noise made when hanging them. But you can't kill em where they aint, so get where they is ! :sneaky:even if it costs you some time to move or set up new stands.
Everything he said. i have one spot near a walking trail that has a ton of sign but I have sat there multiple times and not seen a thing during daylight hours. You can also move them right before a rain to help minimize your leftover scent.

For reasons that take too long to explain I'm late getting any stands out this year....have hung a couple the past 3 days....each time had deer in range within an hour of hanging the stand, so, in my opinion not too late to move. This morning had a spike munching acorns 6 ft from my backpack at base of tree while I'm still situating the hang on.

Hunt near sign, I do like being up the ridge, more consistent winds on top or near top. Draws are tempting but tough w swirling winds especially if archery hunting.

After you've sat a time or two you may want to adjust stand position anyway based on how deer are traveling the area.

If the hikers are there consistently chances are decent it doesn't affect the deer hugely. Bigger bucks might be more nocturnal but during rut all bets are off. I've killed multiple mature bucks off public within sight and sound of hiking / walking trails. A lot of the deer (does and smaller bucks anyway) will just pick up their head and watch/listen as hikers pass by 100 yds off. Hunt during the week if you can you'll have less people about.

All that said sometimes it's nice to hunt without people all over so I do have spots way off the beaten path where I'll see nobody.

It's never too late to move a stand. During the season we will move or hang a new stand and hunt it right away.
What this guy stated. A few times I set up a new stand and hunted the next day and killed deer. There is a saying, "the best time to hunt a stand is the day that you set it up". I believe this :)

I have hunted blinds and stands. I would move them if you are getting interference from other hunters. I like it on base because other hunters can not approach my blind within 100 yards. By all means, move your tree stand and try other areas. I have moved both my tree stands and blinds when hunting pressure interfered with what I was trying to do. That type of hunting does not always do well with hunting pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back