Yeti GOBOX Collection

Is it too late to move stands?

Go hunt hunt , Quit worrying about your damm stands . I am 63 never was in a stand and bet I have killed more and bigger animals than 95 % of You guys that spend half your life on cams and stands. ....And I didn't waste my time to read this post , just the heading. Youal'll need to learn how to hunt. My DAD taught ME.......BOB

LMAO

Bob has gotten fired up like this before. Like someone else said, it's DIFFERENT, not better or worse or girly or manly. I doubt he could even climb some of the trees that we sit in, nor could he sit still for 4 plus hours at a crack. My NON-MANLY daughter can and does sit in a tree all day, dark to dark during the rut, 25-40 degrees, never even gets down. And no, it's not a heated box, it's a cold steel stand 20"x20" with a 8"x12" seat, 14-20' off the ground. So come on out east and we'll see who's the "manliest" 🤣

Yep, this. had more than one buck come in while setting up, and sometimes seems like the scraping of a climber going up brings them running.
I had this happen once. I used a climber to get to a limb and began to saw it off. I was about halfway through when a buck showed up.

Good luck getting that buck. I'd be damm proud to kill a big woods bruiser vs an IA buck that can be found in every wood lot on private ground.

Okay , cuiosity Killed the Cat ...Had to see the post .All Eastern Boys. I willl add sitting in a stand aint huntinting. C'mon out west .At 63 come Friday I am going in the Rockies of Colorado,Solo never been there and watch what I come Home with,. Only thing that will screw Me up is Bad weather or Private land. And I think I can work around the Private. Thats why when you guys come West ans shoot an Antelope in Wyoming You are proud. Thats like shooting a rabbit any where else. Or You shoot a 5x5 elk and call it a trophy. Its a rag horn by GOLLY. The west is what will make You a man if You can handle it. HUnting in a heated stand over a food plt is nothing to be proud of. .............BOB!
How'd you do Bob?

I hunted Colo. 3 days and left ,Was not feelling good , To cold for Me and to much Private with only dinks on Public. Could of shot fork horns at 200 yard for an hour on 3rd day. Others ended up blasting away later I was told and the forky made it to Private. Not my cup of tea hunting that checkerboard crap. # weeks ago I killed a nice Coues here in AZ. in 1 day+ . More like it . nice weather and no Private bullcrap to put up with. Heading out to Sisters for 2 days now will download and post picture when i get back home. THanks..............Merry Xmas All.................BOB!

Tree stand and blind hunting takes a bit more skill than people realize. You have to do your scouting and pick the routes they travel or set up on their feeding or watering areas. You can't just fling a stand up in the tree and be successful. You also have to pay attention to your line of fire. I don't know how many times I shot out of a blind and had an arrow deflected by a tree limb. Sometimes I had to pack a tree stand in a couple miles or a blind depending on what strategy I selected. You also have to pay attention to wind and especially to unnatural noise. I don't use bait and in Wyoming that is illegal unless you qualify for and get a special handicap permit for it. So you do have to work at it even with a stand or a blind. You don't want to find their bedding areas especially for the big bucks and ruin it by setting up downwind of where they typically enter it. So there is a lot of work even in setting up tree stands and blinds. Ton of patience too and I have trouble sitting still in my blind half the time.

Answer to the original question- it’s never too late to move stands. I will be hanging one on Friday and probably again on Saturday for the last hurrah with the bow for a snowy hunt here in Wisconsin (probably hung/hunted 25+ different times this fall).

My first sits in a new tree for the year are usually the best.

Heres the average Coues I got 3 weeks ago on Spot and Stock method. Why I like it so much more is You see more animals more trrain and can move to different areas or stay in one spot all day.Only hunted 1 hour opening day cause of a downpour. 2nd after noon a younger buddy helping me glass found this guy with a bunch of does. Was able to get him killed and hung in a tree. Hauled Him out the next Morning. thanks to My Buddy ,at 63 I would been all day getting him out. How it would be nice to be 41 again. Hey as I get older I might have to resort more to hunting an area and using cameras. Never have used a Camera. Just love glassing Mountains !..............BOB!

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 24
I get grougchy some times . Don't mean to give Ya guys a hard time back East ,I understsand You have to adapt and hunt different ways in different parts of this Country. Peace and Happy and healthy new Year all!.....................BOB!

Heres the average Coues I got 3 weeks ago on Spot and Stock method. Why I like it so much more is You see more animals more trrain and can move to different areas or stay in one spot all day.Only hunted 1 hour opening day cause of a downpour. 2nd after noon a younger buddy helping me glass found this guy with a bunch of does. Was able to get him killed and hung in a tree. Hauled Him out the next Morning. thanks to My Buddy ,at 63 I would been all day getting him out. How it would be nice to be 41 again. Hey as I get older I might have to resort more to hunting an area and using cameras. Never have used a Camera. Just love glassing Mountains !..............BOB!

Beautiful bucks. Nice work!

To the OP … I often hunt from a climbing stand that I set up each day after hiking in to previously scouted spots or areas that I know to be travel corridors. I have shot many whitetails shortly after making the move. It's never too late to move a stand. Sometimes I'll set up in one spot for a morning sit, then hike to a new area at mid day and set up for the evening sit.

Going to scout way more this year. Keeping cameras out for the full year and adding more as the year progresses. I plan on putting them higher in the trees to keep bears and people off them.

I’ll be picking up a lightweight stand and sticks to use as a mobile setup and put my other stands up in spots that are consistent feeding areas or travel corridors. Ideally, the seats I leave up will be quick and easy to get into for early morning sits.

Thanks for all the input

I hunted Colo. 3 days and left ,Was not feelling good , To cold for Me and to much Private with only dinks on Public. Could of shot fork horns at 200 yard for an hour on 3rd day. Others ended up blasting away later I was told and the forky made it to Private. Not my cup of tea hunting that checkerboard crap. # weeks ago I killed a nice Coues here in AZ. in 1 day+ . More like it . nice weather and no Private bullcrap to put up with. Heading out to Sisters for 2 days now will download and post picture when i get back home. THanks..............Merry Xmas All.................BOB!

Wow....for someone claiming he hunts the West like a man, but it's too cold???? Hahaha, don't come up to the northwoods where real men who can stand a little mother nature hunt. Sounds like a golf course in Arizona with other retired folks is best for you....:p

Northwoods, I grew up 21 in Erie Pa. then moved to Phoeonix in 1977. Went and worked in N. Dakota in oil field . 4 plus years in 2011. Weather absolutely Sucks. If You think Thats what makes a real man is living in that crap Your whole life Where there is no population for a reason , You need a brain check. We enjoy weather 365 a year down here. and know how to live. . AZ has more People than 5-6 of them cold States combined . I guess the 8 .million that live in AZ. are all Pussies. I'LL take that any day...................BOB!

Serious big Game hunting is 3 to 4 weeks a year in multiple States if You can get tags in the West. That is real Hunting. How many days do think RANDY Spends in a stand. . Not to many if any. He hunts AZ. as much as He can. .All the people that have $ in them 6-7 cold States all winter in AZ. too. Are you just jelious cause You can't..Not trying to start a war, We are are on the same side. Its just a lesson I learned living in N. Dakota . The home growns don't know any better and think that place is Heaven. I have been to 43 States and up there is the worst in America. Trust me. The Quality of life is with in reach! You just have to go get it....Amem.............No more arguments from Me. I know better at 63 Been there done it. Young guys think they know it all.Promise I won't respond. ,Cause it will be a waste of Breath.........................BOB!

Serious big Game hunting is 3 to 4 weeks a year in multiple States if You can get tags in the West. That is real Hunting. How many days do think RANDY Spends in a stand. . Not to many if any. He hunts AZ. as much as He can. .All the people that have $ in them 6-7 cold States all winter in AZ. too. Are you just jelious cause You can't..Not trying to start a war, We are are on the same side. Its just a lesson I learned living in N. Dakota . The home growns don't know any better and think that place is Heaven. I have been to 43 States and up there is the worst in America. Trust me. The Quality of life is with in reach! You just have to go get it....Amem.............No more arguments from Me. I know better at 63 Been there done it. Young guys think they know it all.Promise I won't respond. ,Cause it will be a waste of Breath.........................BOB!
You took the bait, Bob. At this point it's just entertainment value.

Back