PEAX Equipment

Is it irresponsible to NOT buy it?

TexAg09

Hey HT, I've been wanting a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag for a long time now, and I found a gun shop that has one of the brand new Ruger Marlins for a hair under $1k. I don't need the gun, but I want it and will eventually get one either way. I have the money, but this isn't the best time of year to drop $1k on a gun. Is it high now because they just started producing them again? Will it go down in price in a few years if I wait or maybe be even more expensive? I know no one has a crystal ball, but I'm slowly talking myself into buying it. However, it might be smarter to just wait. What would you do? (I'm already getting new waders for Christmas, so it wouldn't be a Christmas present.)

First of all - if you post to a hunting forum and ask if you should buy a new gun, the collective answer will always be YES, even if you tell them you just lost your job and had your car repossessed.

Now, more specifically, I love my 1894C in .357 as an all-around plinking and critter gun at our Northwoods cabin. Plink with .38 special, load with .357mag and it will take care of anything we have in our woods at the distances we have open to shoot. Buy, buy, buy, is my advice.

This is the rare instance when I'd say put the want on hold & use the funds for Christmas gifts above & beyond what you have.

The memory of a massive & unexpected Christmas will last far longer than the joy of a new rifle.

Last edited:
Definitely a buy situation, but then again with money in a hand and room in the safe it’s almost always a buy situation if you truly have the free cash. It’s not like you’ll lose all your money anyways, even if you decide you don’t like it in the next year or two you can get most of your $ back and chalk the difference up to “fun” expense.

Well I can't imagine them getting cheaper in the future. That's a quality gun for $1000.

Hey HT, I've been wanting a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag for a long time now, and I found a gun shop that has one of the brand new Ruger Marlins for a hair under $1k. I don't need the gun, but I want it and will eventually get one either way. I have the money, but this isn't the best time of year to drop $1k on a gun. Is it high now because they just started producing them again? Will it go down in price in a few years if I wait or maybe be even more expensive? I know no one has a crystal ball, but I'm slowly talking myself into buying it. However, it might be smarter to just wait. What would you do? (I'm already getting new waders for Christmas, so it wouldn't be a Christmas present.)
I like those guns too, where did you say it was being sold?

I've been disappointed in every Ruger I've ever owned except for the Single Six and the 77/22. M77 .270, Blackhawk .45 Long Colt, 10/22, and Mini 14 were all functional, but lacking in accuracy. And it took me 3 returns on the Single Six to get one that would eject fired rounds without hitting the ejector with a block of wood. Fortunately Furr's (the Texas guys will know) exchanged them after they documented the problem.

So, frankly, no, I wouldn't go for it. The fact it's in a pawn shop so soon after introduction means it likely doesn't shoot.

I'm with @Ben Lamb on this one, and, by association, a commie. Maybe Ruger is better now, but I need to see proof.

Have a special Christmas with your wife and kids.

I've been disappointed in every Ruger I've ever owned except for the Single Six and the 77/22. M77 .270, Blackhawk .45 Long Colt, 10/22, and Mini 14 were all functional, but lacking in accuracy. And it took me 3 returns on the Single Six to get one that would eject fired rounds without hitting the ejector with a block of wood. Fortunately Furr's (the Texas guys will know) exchanged them after they documented the problem.

So, frankly, no, I wouldn't go for it. The fact it's in a pawn shop so soon after introduction means it likely doesn't shoot.

I'm with @Ben Lamb on this one, and, by association, a commie. Maybe Ruger is better now, but I need to see proof.

Have a special Christmas with your wife and kids.
You're going to get crucified for being honest.
Kudos to you

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back