Is it irresponsible to NOT buy it?

No comment on whether you should or shouldn't, but MSRP on those is $1,239.

Ruger is doing a good job with Marlin.
Agree, i looked over a new Ruger Marlin a few weeks ago and was impressed. I should have bought it right then, but waited one week and it was gone.

I don’t see the prices coming down. I think a good quality firearm costs money, and a Ruger doesn’t seem like they’re interested in selling higher volumes at the expense of quality.

Neil

I've been disappointed in every Ruger I've ever owned except for the Single Six and the 77/22. M77 .270, Blackhawk .45 Long Colt, 10/22, and Mini 14 were all functional, but lacking in accuracy. And it took me 3 returns on the Single Six to get one that would eject fired rounds without hitting the ejector with a block of wood. Fortunately Furr's (the Texas guys will know) exchanged them after they documented the problem.

So, frankly, no, I wouldn't go for it. The fact it's in a pawn shop so soon after introduction means it likely doesn't shoot.

I'm with @Ben Lamb on this one, and, by association, a commie. Maybe Ruger is better now, but I need to see proof.

Have a special Christmas with your wife and kids.
Mini 14's are hot garbage. The m77s were hit or miss for a while, the new ones are pretty sloppy. Still a crap shoot if they'll shoot or not.

I will say, I've handled quite a few of the new Marlins. They're pretty dang good.

I don't see where you're getting the pawn shop from? OP mentioned it was a gun shop.

Mini 14's are hot garbage. The m77s were hit or miss for a while, the new ones are pretty sloppy. Still a crap shoot if they'll shoot or not.

I will say, I've handled quite a few of the new Marlins. They're pretty dang good.

I don't see where you're getting the pawn shop from? OP mentioned it was a gun shop.
Yeah, it's new in the box at a local gun shop. Definitely not a pawn shop.

As for Rugers all of mine have been tack drivers.

Do you even A Team? Sucka
Screenshot_20231206_205937.jpg

I've had a Ruger tang M77, a MKii M77 & a Hawkeye.

The Tang Safety Ruger had to be rebarreled, the Mkii is MOA with the factory bbl and the Hawkeye got traded for a pre-64 Winchester Model 100 because it wouldn't group with any bullet/powder combo I tried.

My Ruger #1 is MOA

My old Mini 14 was a fun blaster, but I never expected it to be a precision shooter. It was for the release of aggression and excessive awesomeness in my 20's, with a Simmons 3x9 scope on it that I'm not really sure I ever got zeroed.

I like Rugers, but they can be hit or miss.

The m77s were hit or miss for a while, the new ones are pretty sloppy. Still a crap shoot if they'll shoot or not.

What are you seeing on the new Hawkeyes for issues? Is it stuff that can generally be worked out?

What are you seeing on the new Hawkeyes for issues? Is it stuff that can generally be worked out?

I'm not @p_ham but my experience with the Hawkeye was this: Much worse quality of finishes and lower craftsmanship quaulity based on the tang & MKii. Cheaper wood, cheaper metal finishes, no real deburring and refinement. It was about 30% rougher than my Markii.

I'm not @p_ham but my experience with the Hawkeye was this: Much worse quality of finishes and lower craftsmanship quaulity based on the tang & MKii. Cheaper wood, cheaper metal finishes, no real deburring and refinement. It was about 30% rougher than my Markii.
Ben pretty much summed it up. Fit and finish is horrible, loose tolerances, accuracy issues.

Ben pretty much summed it up. Fit and finish is horrible, loose tolerances, accuracy issues.

That's really disappointing to hear. I would have hoped that with them making so few of them now they'd treat them more as a niche gun with higher standards, similar to the no.1 and new Marlins.

My 2000ish MKII is the best built gun I own, and I had been planning on adding a Hawkeye.

That's really disappointing to hear. I would have hoped that with them making so few of them now they'd treat them more as a niche gun with higher standards, similar to the no.1 and new Marlins.

My 2000ish MKII is the best built gun I own, and I had been planning on adding a Hawkeye.

Get another MKii.

Fwiw, I have an early production Hawkeye in 375 Roger. No issues with it since I got it and accuracy has been excellent. No experience with the newer ones. I have a few MKII’s and all have been decent.

My knee jerk reaction to the thread title was ‘Yes’ and remains so. Ive lusted over a Ruger No. 1 International for years and when I found the one I wanted, I passed even though I had the money and since then they‘ve doubled in price. Buy now if you can.

I've had a Ruger tang M77, a MKii M77 & a Hawkeye.

The Tang Safety Ruger had to be rebarreled, the Mkii is MOA with the factory bbl and the Hawkeye got traded for a pre-64 Winchester Model 100 because it wouldn't group with any bullet/powder combo I tried.

My Ruger #1 is MOA

My old Mini 14 was a fun blaster, but I never expected it to be a precision shooter. It was for the release of aggression and excessive awesomeness in my 20's, with a Simmons 3x9 scope on it that I'm not really sure I ever got zeroed.

I like Rugers, but they can be hit or miss.
The fit and finish of my new old tang M77 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Hawkeyes I’ve handled. The old trigger wasn’t bad either and is pretty adjustable. It shoots pretty well too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back