Internet Advice

I shot the .308 for years and chose that caliber because had a slightly less intense recoil than the 30.06 and there was lots of ballistics info for wind drift, etc, for the .308.

The 30.06 does offer a wider variety of bullet weights and about anywhere you go you are likely to encounter 30.06 ammo at more places than .308, or so I was told when researching Africa trips.

As for the Answer in the OP, all Greek to me. A properly placed .308 round will drop most game animals in North America and the ones it might be a stretch for would lead me to reach for a gun bigger than a 30.06 anyway. I use a .338 Win Mag for most hunts now.

If I could only use one rifle to hunt in North America, I would pick the 30.06 before the .308. Most of us have more than one rifle, though, so accuracy of a particular rifle set-up including the scope gets my motor running.

I shot the .308 for years and chose that caliber because had a slightly less intense recoil than the 30.06 and there was lots of ballistics info for wind drift, etc, for the .308.

The 30.06 does offer a wider variety of bullet weights and about anywhere you go you are likely to encounter 30.06 ammo at more places than .308, or so I was told when researching Africa trips.

As for the Answer in the OP, all Greek to me. A properly placed .308 round will drop most game animals in North America and the ones it might be a stretch for would lead me to reach for a gun bigger than a 30.06 anyway. I use a .338 Win Mag for most hunts now.

If I could only use one rifle to hunt in North America, I would pick the 30.06 before the .308. Most of us have more than one rifle, though, so accuracy of a particular rifle set-up including the scope gets my motor running.

You missed it

That guy has it figured out. I would have completely missed the "less bullet in contact with the barrel" part.

All in good fun Lopehunter

All in good fun Lopehunter

All you need is John Madden narrating your visual.

"the point is right here and BOOM it just went right over his head" (cue up replay 40x until you're seasick).

That guy has it figured out. I would have completely missed the "less bullet in contact with the barrel" part.

Spot on. Shoot a shorter barrel and faster round = life is mo' betta.

Can you all please use your John Madden voices with flapping jowls and "Booms!" If anyone wants to play Pat Summerall just don't operate a motor vehicle since DUI is a serious crime.

Back