Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Interesting......

This site has a western hunting/"smelling your own farts about how far you packed out an animal on your expensive trip to Alaska" bias. I did a new version for all of us who grew up in the south.

New rifle w/ scope: $450 (only if diddy's 06' was destroyed when trying a Dukes of Hazard stunt)
Spotter (Let's go mid-range) $lol
Bino's: $50
Fancy Camo: $75
ATV: $3,000
Camper: $0
3/4 Ton Truck (let's be generous & say used) $7,000
Useless Upgrades to Truck: $15,000
Affliction T-shirts & Jeans: $0
Premium bonded bullets: $35/box of 50

This site has a western hunting/"smelling your own farts about how far you packed out an animal on your expensive trip to Alaska" bias. I did a new version for all of us who grew up in the south.

New rifle w/ scope: $450 (only if diddy's 06' was destroyed when trying a Dukes of Hazard stunt)
Spotter (Let's go mid-range) $lol
Bino's: $50
Fancy Camo: $75
ATV: $3,000
Camper: $0
3/4 Ton Truck (let's be generous & say used) $7,000
Useless Upgrades to Truck: $15,000
Affliction T-shirts & Jeans: $0
Premium bonded bullets: $35/box of 50

Point of order: affliction wear can be substituted for such classic truck stickers as Chasin' Tail, Helping Single Moms $1 at a time and a Southern by the Grace of God license plate holder.

Sir John Franklin; lead poisoning before it was cool!

b504d03a-1419-4bf4-ab27-00b5e8cc89a0.jpg

This picture reminds me that Americans don't make the best choices regardless of the negative consequences. Surgeon General's report on the harm of tobacco came out while Kennedy was in office and the final ban on smoking on an airplane was in 2000. In this discussion, the harmful consequences (visible at least) are borne by birds. The ban on lead pellets for waterfowl was only because of the international migratory bird treaty and politicians could blame Canada.

I'm not sure why this keeps devolving into kids eating lead fragments. I have seen birds die of lead poisoning. It is a terrible way to go. Ask a golden eagle if he wants to get clobbered by a truck or flop around on the ground for a week or so till he starves to death, I think we all know the choice he'd make. Hunters with ethics brag about being concerned that the deer they harvest die as humanely as possible ... but then patently don't give a shit if raptors suffer horribly and unnecessarily? Hard to wrap my head around that twisted code of outdoors ethics.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why this keeps devolving into kids eating lead fragments. I have seen birds die of lead poisoning. It is a terrible way to go. Ask a golden eagle if he wants to get clobbered by a truck or flop around on the ground for a week or so till he starves to death, I think we all know the choice he'd make. Hunters with ethics brag about being concerned that the deer they harvest die as humanely as possible ... but then patently don't give a shit if raptos suffer horribly and unnecessarily? Hard to wrap my head around that twisted code of outdoors ethics.
Some things are more tangible and relatable than others.

It's the same reason people on one hand argue for more control of firearms only to turn around and argue to repeal prohibition of narcotics. They can relate to kids being shot in schools but they can't as easily relate to people overdosing of heroin

In a effort to rid the would of evil lead bullets I returned 150 22lr, 75ish .223, and 15 .308 rounds to the earth today. Only one unlucky coyote was harmed. He has hit in the head so his stomach contents should be safe to eat.🙄

Related... does anyone have personal experience or know of nontoxic buckshot? Thinking of using 3in 00 for deer next year.

California Condors like to take chunks out of the comp shingles on a good friend's cabin in the Sierras. I watched with wonder thinking wth is wrong with these birds? I don't know if shingles have lead in them, but any bird that will chew up comp shingles is not long for this world. Maybe eagles are smarter.....who knows.

California Condors like to take chunks out of the comp shingles on a good friend's cabin in the Sierras. I watched with wonder thinking wth is wrong with these birds? I don't know if shingles have lead in them, but any bird that will chew up comp shingles is not long for this world. Maybe eagles are smarter.....who knows.
Nice job, now they are going to demand everyone use eco friendly shingles now.

Back