Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Interesting new law in Utah

MarvB

I just wonder if this will now also turn dead-beat dads into poachers?

Beginning July 1, HB 197 will prohibit the DWR from issuing a fishing or hunting license — or any type of hunting permit — to anyone who is more than $2,500 behind on child support, unless the individual has obtained a judicial order staying enforcement of the past-due payments.

Individuals in arrears will be identified by the Office of Recovery Services, which will be implementing the law, and a block will be placed on the DWR accounts for those individuals. To remove the block, they will need to contact the Office of Recovery Services to either pay the amount in full, or enter into a payment plan for at least 12 consecutive months. Anyone who currently has a valid license or permit will not be affected until their license expires.

All for it- if they can't support their kids financially, they shouldn't be buying licenses or tags.
A lot of states, Montana included, can/will suspend Driving Privileges' for those not paying Child Support. Unless you live in Billings, a lot of agencies will arrest for driving suspended/revoked, so those non-payments turn into actionable enforcement to get the point across. Even without an arrest, they'll be cited and released and required to appear in court to answer to a Judge who then can level the fines be directed into paying on the Child Support.

I guess I see it differently. I do think deadbeat dads are trash. We help raise our grandson.
I see this as a couple bad issues. More government intrusion into our lives. For the good of all as always. Kinda like smoking laws to me.
It also divides sportsfolks. And there's too much already. It may seem like it doesn't effect you but it is another grain of sand. And less people hunting n fishing including their kids. And less money to the fish n game fund. And all the money spent buying supplies n everything else involved.
Hey kinda sorry about that. I just can't see how more government helps anything !

I guess I see it differently. I do think deadbeat dads are trash. We help raise our grandson.
I see this as a couple bad issues. More government intrusion into our lives. For the good of all as always. Kinda like smoking laws to me.
It also divides sportsfolks. And there's too much already. It may seem like it doesn't effect you but it is another grain of sand. And less people hunting n fishing including their kids. And less money to the fish n game fund. And all the money spent buying supplies n everything else involved.
Hey kinda sorry about that. I just can't see how more government helps anything !
Nothing personal at all, but this reasoning is baloney.

So it's ok with you that a deadbeat dad spend those $$ on supporting F&G and buying supplies and everything else involved as opposed to supporting his kids?
The big bad gubmint right?

gubmint-gubmint-errywhere.jpg

When I got out of the Army and on to unemployment I was in court immediately to modify my child support from the difference in income. A couple weeks after my court date I went to get my fishing license and was denied due to being $500 in arrears. NY doesn't #*^@#* around. The problem was my new support order that was backdated to me getting out of the Army wasn't registered with support enforcement yet and they had my support going by my old order, so I was in arrears according to my former order. My attorney got it straightened out.

My experience with child custody/access in Montana is quite dated (like almost forty years) but back then it was very one-sided. And I look on legislation like this as entirely gender biased.

I think if mothers who refused to comply with access orders were denied welfare benefits, it would eliminate half the problems with child support. Here in Ontario the agencies are very strict about that, in fact if anything they lean more towards access enforcement. You don't comply with access orders you ain't gonna get paid ... by anybody. Montana courts got tired of answering complaints every year about custodial interference so they simply changed the order and took away my access. That didn't fly with the enforcement agency here.

When I got out of the Army and on to unemployment I was in court immediately to modify my child support from the difference in income. A couple weeks after my court date I went to get my fishing license and was denied due to being $500 in arrears. NY doesn't #*^@#* around. The problem was my new support order that was backdated to me getting out of the Army wasn't registered with support enforcement yet and they had my support going by my old order, so I was in arrears according to my former order. My attorney got it straightened out.
No need for F bombs.
Glad you had your issues straightened out though.

Back