Interesting day

RobG

Pretty crazy that I can get up at 6am, get some work done on my first job before doing a little on my second job, spend some time griping about David Allen, superglue my fingers together trying to tie up some elk hair caddis, put on some shorts and go wet wading a couple miles back in a wilderness area. Wait out a wicked thunderstorm, catch a fish or two, have the most gorgeous light emerge through a thunderstorm EXACTLY as I'm landing a bigass brown. F'up the photos anyway (iPhone anyone?). Come home and see an email with a job offer from a startup company managed by a guy who sold his last company for $100 million. See another email where my partner sent the matlab to me and not my client like he was supposed to. Find out RMEF is sticking by their letter. And I still have an hour and a half left.

Attachments

• s IMG_2740.jpg
    s IMG_2740.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 345
  • s IMG_2743.jpg
    s IMG_2743.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Cracking fish and a great day!
What is the super glue for?
A drop on the threads securing the head?
That fly is in my top 6 for catching trout on the dry.

Cheers
Richard

I viewed Festus' post about being thankful. A major part of gratitude is action. From my perspective, Rob G spent part of the day giving back to the very things he spent the other part of the day enjoying. Doesn't get much more thankful than that. Echoing What Map, "well played". Gotta love big browns........

Wednesday's word - beautiful picture. I could take pictures like that if I had a better camera and knew how to use it :D

Devon - With my close-in vision declining with age fly tying is frustrating, perhaps because I have been doing it for more than forty years and suddenly it is challenging. Anyway, I hadn't tied anything since last summer so I sat down at the bench to tie some EHCs, then I remembered I had to go get my reading glasses so I can see. Then I had to figure out where my kids put my elk hair. Finally I had things in order enough to tie the body on. Reading glasses aren't working but I can see if I take off my real glasses and get about five inches from fly. I dub the body, but now with my glasses off I can't find my damn scissors. I find them. F*#@! MY KIDS HAVE ALREADY RUINED MY FLY TYING SCISSORS AND I'VE ONLY USED THEM ONCE!. I got over it and finished the body. Then I found out my cement had dried (I like to put some cement on the wing so it doesn't spin). My wife found some superglue gel on our daughter's desk, so I squeezed the tube to get a drop on my bodkin. Nothing came out. Took off cap to see the seal hadn't been pierced so I pierce it with the bodkin. Here is the good part. Immediately an inch-long bead erupts from the tube because I squeezed the tube before I pierced the seal. Now super glue is all over and my fingers are glued together. I get them apart but now everything I touch sticks to them so they are soon covered with everything from the dubbing I'm trying to use to some pink marabou-looking sh*@ my son left laying on the table, but the superglue crust on the fingertips is rock hard so you can't actually grip the crap you are trying to tie to the hook. But eventually I got my four EHCs done and left for the river.

This morning I had my conference call with Uzi; Uzi is from Isreal. This afternoon I have a call with Jesus. Jesus moved to Texas from Mexico, and yes, he has heard every one of those comments already but smiles when you say them anyway.

Oh, and here is a trout sticking its head out of the water to pick caddis off of a rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40EMDJ5KCco&feature=youtu.be

I can't make this stuff up.

I think you should spend more time fishing

Yeah, that was only the second day this year and only for a couple hours. I had three simultaneous contracts going but now I only have two at the moment. If I take the real job with the startup I may never have time to do anything but waste it here.

Thanks Rob, now i understand and can relate to the problem!
I had near perfect eye sight until i was 50, now i struggle, so i use clip on magnifiers for my fishing and cheap magnifier glasses for my fly tying.
My wife keeps telling me to buy a proper pair of specs, but of course my reply is 'i don't need them'

I like the video, crafty fish hiding there and finding some easy pickings.

Cheers

Richard

Back