Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Info on field dressing/quartering elk

nhwaterfowler

I'm interested in doing some OYO elk hunting in the next couple years but one thing that I have no experience in is field dressing and hauling out an elk. More specifically what you need to do to cut them up and pack the meat/antlers out. Can anyone point me towards some good books, websites, videos etc so I can educate myself over the next few years and maybe practice on some deer. Out here in New Hampshire I just gut and drag the rest of the deer out of the woods and into the back of my truck then its off to the butcher, there's no packing the animal out. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know of any books or dvds, but I would suggest that you start butchering your own deer starting this year. Cutting up an elk is exactly the same. You can probably find plenty of stuff on youtube.

Check out the Gutless video under the link Brentster posted. I've used it for elk, moose, and deer and in my opinion, it's the only way to go.

I almost always drag mine out like you do with a deer. Hunt up and drag down. Sometimes I have to make smaller pieces and sometimes I call in help but generally I just get to work.

A good friend of mine uses a method following this "gutless" action and enjoys the heck out of it!
I have always been a "fisherman" style of field dressing... Gut it out! However, TBH, this is simply due to my lack of knowledge on the different locations of meat... I'll quarter it, etc. for packing out though never tried a method as presented in the video's or as my friend does it.

Thanks for the video link to Elk101.com! I hoppe to try this method this year. It simply appears a lot more productive method of getting the job done. I am sure to fubar it a bit - though from now until season, I'll be reading up a bit more on the butchering / field dressing. learning locations, etc.

Fantastic link! Thanks again!

Thanks for the link. Very useful information as this was something I was looking into as well. One question I have is are you able to just leave the bones/guts in the field or is there anything special you have to do with them?

I am used to whitetail hunting on a family farm where we can just pick them up with a truck and take them back home and process them there so definately something different to learn.

Amand said:
One question I have is are you able to just leave the bones/guts in the field or is there anything special you have to do with them?

Hunters, or persons in possession of a
game animal or game animal parts, are
prohibited from wasting or rendering
unfit for human consumption, any part
of a game animal that is defined as
“suitable for food.”
• For big game animals (excluding
mountain lions) all of the four quarters
above the hock, including loin and
backstrap are considered suitable for
food.

I would imagine this is typical in other states - though this is from Montana:
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42204

Here are a few videos from www.elk101.com if your interested in keeping your hands a little less dirty.

http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

I think Cory did a good job on that video. That was last year when Dave, Cory and Donnie all ran the Y-not-TRI and all killed Elk. Heck, Cory was death sick and still killed 2 that year.

That's a good way to get started but hands on is a must. When I tackle a bigger critter I always work on one piece at a time. Don't get yourself too tiered by moving it a bunch. I'd also recomend cutting it off the bone in the field if you have any distance at all to cover. It doesn't take much longer and why back ot leg bones you are jsut gunna throw away anyways.

The only thing I'd do different then in the video is get a better or Sharper knife. :p

Definatly quarter and debone in the field. I killed a 4 by last year and me and a buddy carried the quaters and straps out in one trip. Hardest 2.2 miles that I have ever walked but we go it off the moutnain. I use the gutless method as well. Trying to drag an animal that big takes about 4 guys. Snow helps some. I am going to try taking a heavy duty tarp this year and debone the elk and put it into canvas game bags and try to drag it out on the tarp if possible. May work maybe not but we will see. That is alot of weight on your back to try to get out. We drew 1st season colorado tags so we should have sevaral elk to get out with 7 of us going. We will see in about 6 weeks.

Don't get yourself too tiered by moving it a bunch. I'd also recomend cutting it off the bone in the field if you have any distance at all to cover. It doesn't take much longer and why back ot leg bones you are jsut gunna throw away anyways.

The only thing I'd do different then in the video is get a better or Sharper knife. :p

X2 on the sharp knife. I like to keep the leg bones and the shoulder bone in for a couple reasons

1) it gives some stiffness to the load when you lash it to a packboard or pack horse. It is not a BLOB that shifts all around. you can throw it over your shoulder rather than carry it in your arms.
2) If the meat is on the bone when it goes into and out of rigor, then the muscle returns to it's original length, and seems to be tenderer from the folks I talked to. My elks loins definately were shorter 2 days later when it came out of the cooler to cut.

Granted, leg bones do have weight. On this years tule elk I got back 115# of cut and wrapped steaks and ground, plus 45# reserved for sausage (160), out of the 218 pounds I weighed in. I'd say with moisture loss in the cooler, and trim waste taken into account, each leg weighed between 8-10 pounds extra with bone in.

I almost always drag mine out like you do with a deer. Hunt up and drag down. Sometimes I have to make smaller pieces and sometimes I call in help but generally I just get to work.

Hunt up, drag down? We did that with my brother's last cow elk whole on a slide. Luckily we had scouted the area well before hand and were able to get his short, narrow box 4X4 to an old road in the bottom of the canyon. Of course getting her into the truck was another story in itself. We did get smart and quarter to hang up.

I've always been amazed at how much extra work folks are willing to do sometimes to get an elk into the truck in as few pieces as possible. I've been just as guilty at times. :)

THat's amazing.. I've been doing it that way for years, but never knew there was a video that showed it.. Crap! Now everyone will know how.. I don't feel special anymore..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back