Podcast on Elk Biology

Ok. But 15 deer?
So members of our local Hook and bullet org. were in favor of this as long as the numbers weren't to high. We also wished to see the kill monitored to see the age class of those "inferior" deer. 15 was/is a safe number for right now as most of those deer killed have actually been of the old age class. MOST, but some young deer have also been shot before they ever developed into what they might have been. I'd have to look over the data again this year to see if I'd support any increase. Last thing we need are a bunch of up and coming 2 year olds shot out of the pool of bucks.

Last edited:
So members of our local Hook and bullet org. where in favor of this as long as the numbers weren't to high. We also wished to see the kill monitored to see the age class of those "inferior" deer. 15 was/is a safe number for right now as most of those deer killed have actually been of the old age class. MOST, but some young deer have also been shot before they ever developed into what they might have been. I'd have to look over the data again this year to see if I'd support any increase. Last thing we need are a bunch of up and coming 2 year olds shot out of the pool of bucks.
The statement I posted in original justification said they were not trying to cull genetically inferior deer, but that kind sounds like what they are doing, no?

I mean, here is the justification for 2022-23. you pointed out most of the harvest have been older age class, so scratch that. Also, the statement on killing does to improve recruitment makes it sound like FWP thinks the area is at carrying capacity. Can you confirm?

Mule Deer: This limits mule deer buck harvest to maintain and recruit older-aged bucks, while managing CWD risk, as in the past. Allowing limited antlerless harvest is a strategy to improve fawn recruitment.

Their trying to give more opportunity while attempting to keep the same number of full racked 4 x 4 and bigger bucks on the ground.

IMO the mule deer populations are not even close to reaching saturation.

The powers that be want mule deer bucks to stay away from residential houses and getting into trouble. extra tags usually gets those deer dead.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back