Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Inflation

The Hedgehog

What’s the rate of inflation over the last 25 years?

I’m curious to how it compares to the increase in nonresident hunting licenses. In 1995 I paid $270 total for a WY “special” antelope license plus conservation & archery license. Ha. I know what I paid this year for the very same thing. Ouch. Will still be a great time but wow prices have changed.

C2883969-7617-43E4-AA5D-03333813A1DB.jpeg

The inflation rate for the past 20 years overall would predict an item costing $100 20 years ago would cost $165 now.

Another factor for F&G and non-residents is cost of more years passing until will expect to draw a tag. Time is money. When NM whacked the self-guided NR pool from 16% down to 6% in 2011 that effectively almost tripled the wait between drawing tags. Same effect as a price increase.

it boggles my mind that anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for twenty pounds of meat. I just payed thirty for my doe antigoat tag and still have to question wether it is really worth the money.

have pretty much concluded that no, it really isn't

it boggles my mind that anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for twenty pounds of meat. I just payed thirty for my doe antigoat tag and still have to question wether it is really worth the money.

People also pay thousands to hit a small white ball into a hole or slide down a snowy hill only to ride a chair back up the hill. We all decide how to use and enjoy our disposable income.

My grandpa was an old-fashioned farmer whose only occupation and only hobby in his lifetime was farming profitably.

I remember being 13 years old and showing him a picture of my first whitetail buck at family Christmas and beaming with pride at my accomplishment.

He looked at the picture, smiled, and asked me how much I got paid to go deer hunting. It was one of the more deflating feelings I’ve ever felt, and it’s probably the most vivid memory I have of him 20 years later.

I work a job to make money. I hunt because it’s fun.

Last edited:

It's like I tell my wife, I'm either paying for the meat and the experience is free, or I'm paying for the experience and the meat is free. It's all about perspective and the adventure.

Well, if you assume an annual rate of inflation of 2.5% a year compounded over the last 25 years, that should run you $500.56 today.

If you assume 3.9% annually that puts today’s cost at $702.67, which puts you in the ballpark of the actual cost today if I’m thinking of the correct licenses and costs.

And we still haven’t brought the unit and preference points into the equation . . .

Last edited:
FWIW - areas of the economy heavily managed, led, subsidized or regulated by governments has far exceeded free market inflation. So while general consumer inflation over the last 25 years as risen costs by 65%, some areas far outstrip that rate. But economics aside, I will trade money for outdoor opportunities every time. I am not paying by the pound for meat, I am buying priceless peace and memories.

My first Montana elk and deer tags, that I still have from 1979...were $2 each. Conservation was also $2. So for the sum of $6 I could hunt elk, deer, upland birds, and fish. I drew a cow permit in 1980 and it was also a whopping $2.

My last Resident licenses I bought in Montana, in 2000 were I believe $16 for a deer tag, and $20 for an elk tag.

If you can fly first-class and you don’t, your heirs most certainly will. You can’t take it with you...
(y) true enough.
though the other side of that coin is, if you blow your money on foolish things , you will likely never fly first class.

no matter how high tag fees go , there will always be some willing to pay. heck I know several idiots willing to pay 15-20 grand to hunt a bull elk, just so they can brag on the bone on the wall.

more power to em ,if that's their passion but I am more impressed with the guy who does it on his own and kills a cow.

tag fee increases haven't kept up with inflation for one reason. if it did demand would drop because only the rich could afford to do it.

Last edited:
tag fee increases haven't kept up with inflation for one reason. if it did demand would drop because only the rich could afford to do it.

I think somebody is confused here - A 260% increase in the the antelope licenses is LESS than inflation over 25 years? I hope I’m not the confused one here because if so - I’m going to quit whimpering about the price increase in nonresident hunting licenses..

I think somebody is confused here - A 260% increase in the the antelope licenses is LESS than inflation over 25 years? I hope I’m not the confused one here because if so - I’m going to quit whimpering about the price increase in nonresident hunting licenses..

Demand has what? Doubled? Tripled? Quadrupled?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back