Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Inflation

Demand has what? Doubled? Tripled? Quadrupled?
I guess I am confused because I haven't noticed an extreme rise in tag fees in Idaho. I can't speak to nonresident tags. I simply will not but a nonresident tag , for any state, or any animal. it is cheaper to just go to the grocery store and get beef , which tastes better anyhow.

people say demand has tripled????????
maybe it has but that sure isn't what I am seeing in Idaho. at least not the units I hunt

it seems here , that demand has dropped. thirty years ago during deer season there was a hunting camp pretty much anywhere there was a decent campsite. not seeing that anymore. compared to 30 years ago the woods are empty.

I also don't see many kids continuing to hunt once they get out on their own and their parents stop footing the bills.

why do you suppose that is ????? they can't afford it so demand is dropping

Supply v demand.
With the various State hunts, we've not reached that tipping point where the States pull back on the non res fees...

Usually a brief ruckus forms such as the MT non res $280+ hike thread(s), States may lose a few though the higher fee seems to cover and... all's well, until the next fee hike.

I bought a brand new f150 STX 4x4 in March 2013 for $27,800.

A 2019 is over 40k today.

Montana resident elk tag is still almost free.

In all seriousness, it seems like it cost more every year to apply in the various states.
Whether that be outright price increases, or more prerequisite license requirements you have to hold. The exception being Colorado, which has drastically lowered the price it costs to get in the game. Actual cost of drawn I think is about the same but price to apply is almost free. (Too low and ruining draw odds in my opinion).

The exception being Colorado, which has drastically lowered the price it costs to get in the game.

This is inaccurate, there was a wonky year, 2017, when they were making huge changes to the tag structure, but that was anomalous. NR tag price is tied to the CPI, and starting in ‘14? You have to buy a small game license to apply. $541 for a bull tag in 2010, $661 in 2019.

The cheapest elk tags in the country are PA followed by WA, NM, and then ID.

Exponential increases in application, licensing, and permit fees in all states equates to less competition for the limited licenses and permits.

Like it or not, we are all gradually moving to a "European" model in this country where only the ultra-wealthy can hunt, private land or public land.

You gotta pay, to play!

Exponential increases in application, licensing, and permit fees in all states equates to less competition for the limited licenses and permits.

Like it or not, we are all gradually moving to a "European" model in this country where only the ultra-wealthy can hunt, private land or public land.

You gotta pay, to play!

Maybe, but have you ever googled hunting in Europe... costs and logistics are nutty in comparison to an elk hunt.

Part of the issue I think is population growth in the US, hunting participation my be decreasing, but we have twice as many people in the US as 100 years ago and that just means more big pieces of land are getting chopped up. Also, the US has a ever increasing wealth gap, and last there is a growing differential between rural and urban salaries. A “middle” class person in Denver paying $3800 a month for a 3 bed 2 bath probably doesn’t think an elk tag is as expensive as someone in Meeker CO paying $600 for the same size house.

Last edited:
This is inaccurate, there was a wonky year, 2017, when they were making huge changes to the tag structure, but that was anomalous. NR tag price is tied to the CPI, and starting in ‘14? You have to buy a small game license to apply. $541 for a bull tag in 2010, $661 in 2019.

I’m pretty sure I can recall cutting several thousand dollar checks and putting them in the mail for the big 3 to CPW a few years ago.

Now I can apply for everything in the state for a couple hundred.

The actual cost of licenses may have ticked up slightly but I’m not giving a several thousand dollar loan to CPW for a few months.
Or at I imagining this and that was actually just Idaho?

I’m pretty sure I can recall cutting several thousand dollar checks and putting them in the mail for the big 3 to CPW a few years ago.

Now I can apply for everything in the state for a couple hundred.

The actual cost of licenses may have ticked up slightly but I’m not giving a several thousand dollar loan to CPW for a few months.
Or at I imagining this and that was actually just Idaho?

You are correct they did get rid of the pay up front in 2017.

Although... you got that money back... so it’s not cheaper... per say.

Some random stats on the differences with regard to supply and demand and costs.

ID
1945: 163,000 licenses (unclear if that includes deer), 9,800 harvested elk.
1953-1962: Avg of 14,700 elk harvested.
1957: unknown hunters, 16,000 harvested elk.
1976: unknown hunters, 4,100 harvested elk.
2001: 46,502 general elk hunters. 8,589 harvested elk.
2018: 81,142 general elk hunters, 13,473 harvested elk.

Mountain goat:
1943: Tag $10
2019: Tag $166.75 / $2,101.75 (R/NR; plus $12.75/$154.75)

I see no reduction in hunters where I am,NM. Non residents included. Maybe even an uptick in general public land use folks than usual.
Very low cost,IMHO, for residents to hunt. Even NR tags are cheaper than most states. There is no lack of high rollers & options.
I personally believe the resident fees should go up. Compared to the increases in generally everything else it just makes sense.
I sure don't apply in 6 states anymore. Only here. The elk meat in my freezer pencils out in my mind. The price of the peace & quiet. Limitless.

What’s the rate of inflation over the last 25 years?

I’m curious to how it compares to the increase in nonresident hunting licenses. In 1995 I paid $270 total for a WY “special” antelope license plus conservation & archery license. Ha. I know what I paid this year for the very same thing. Ouch. Will still be a great time but wow prices have changed.

View attachment 109297
I bought a "lifetime" conservation stamp when they were $75. Back in 1995 specials were an extra Ben, today $288 more.

The "allure" of an elk tag in PA aint the same as it is for WY or MT.

Supply v demand.
With the various State hunts, we've not reached that tipping point where the States pull back on the non res fees...

Usually a brief ruckus forms such as the MT non res $280+ hike thread(s), States may lose a few though the higher fee seems to cover and... all's well, until the next fee hike.

They could increase the allocation of NR tags.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back