Illinois deer drawing

I can't remember the last time I put in the draw Dave they print so many tags now I just go buy em the week before season.

Back when they actually cared about our deer heard it was a big deal to get into the 1st lottery.

I can't remember the last time I put in the draw Dave they print so many tags now I just go buy em the week before season.

Back when they actually cared about our deer heard it was a big deal to get into the 1st lottery.
I put in so I know that I have the best chance. One year I was given a 2nd season only permit and around here that sucks.

I hear ya just griping that's all. I remember back in the day only drawing 2nd season in the 1st lottery long before otc tags.

I get landowner tags so not much excitement surrounding that but I did put in and received a muzzleloader tag this year. I haven't put in for that tag since around 2000, grew frustrated with my muzzleloader back then and stopped applying. I got a wild hair and bought a new muzzleloader this spring and going to give it a shot again.

I drew my first choice for both full season firearm & muzzleloader. Turned up a hidden gem of a public property as a result of annual January scouting. Included five new properties this year. Four were bad to so-so. But hit a home run on #5, then to my relief, drew the gun tag for it. Used my toy boat to check some of these out. Also last December was the first time I located a late season big buck refuge on public. Previously all the public I’ve hunted has been devoid of bucks by late season. No more. Seen no less than four 130”+ last day of my 2022 season 12/18. Had to use my boat, & break ice, but that’s why they were there. 95% of my hunting has always been archery, but decided I need to get serious about the 7-10 IL firearm days available.

I’m so curious about this gun hunt I keep forgetting I got WY elk & NM mule deer hunts to get through first.
IMG_7325.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6792.jpeg
    IMG_6792.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6775.jpeg
    IMG_6775.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6364.jpeg
    IMG_6364.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
BTW - Was fortunate to buy the last LL sold by Illinois in August 2006. Didn’t need it for 13 years but after moving to NW Indiana in 2019 so glad I made the $190 investment. IN public is brutal. 16 day peak rut gun season, 32 total gun days, full crossgun inclusion, no limit on NR’s, no gun hunter quota on public = exploited herd & poor buck quality 🙁……..No Thanks!

Last edited:
Very nice! What is the make of your boat? I had a 17 .5 Triton duck boat with 25 hp tiller but sold it because the lakes I cross can get deep and rough. I have Purchased a 20ft Seaark cc that makes me feel really safe but I do miss a smaller boat sometimes. My hand always got frost bit feeling with a tiller.

Very nice! What is the make of your boat? I had a 17 .5 Triton duck boat with 25 hp tiller but sold it because the lakes I cross can get deep and rough. I have Purchased a 20ft Seaark cc that makes me feel really safe but I do miss a smaller boat sometimes. My hand always got frost bit feeling with a tiller.
You wanna sell the sea ark?

IMG_8926.jpeg

wow… how did you find this boat?
I bought it used on FB Marketplace $500. Then paired with a very dependable used 6 HP Mercury kicker motor from a local dealer $900. Obviously I only use it on small bodies of water, but I mostly just hunt Illinois public land backwaters, marshes, shallow feeder streams. I often get out and walk it through some spots. I’ve found that gets rid of my competition.

BTW-I saw way more of these for sale in Boat Trader than FB Marketplace. Like 50 to 2. But the closest seller to me was on FB in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:
I can see your a thinking man…..😃 I I like it!
Well I’m learning as I go. Had the boat four years. I’ve figured out all water access is not created equal. Many are as easily accessed as a highway. And all the locals got boats. It takes the right combination to get away from the crowd.

Thought Sanganois F&W would be good across the Illinois River. Wrong. Found treestands everywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back