Caribou Gear Tarp

If you were to pick one week for rifle antelope hunting in WY?

Depends: for a fun relaxing hunt 2nd week or later. For a trophy i would scout for 3/4 days before opener and focus on 1 or 2 big bucks and hunt till i ran out of time or killed him.

Added: this only applies to type 1 tags not type 2 or zones with tons of early doe tags.

Which week would it be? Might burn my points for my first antelope hunt this year and am trying to see what fits in my schedule.
My preference is special archery season. I got a cross-bow due to my shoulder surgery and where I hunt, I am able to get within 50 yards of them most of the time and the cross bow don't seem to alert them to danger. I did rifle in 2020 but adding archery to 2021 for some scouting and archery hunting prior to rifle hunt. Got some HTers wanting to join me on my antelope hunt so making sure I get my t's crossed and my i's dotted.

For rifle for bucks, I prefer from opening day to the next 3 days. After that, they are so spooky it's hard to close in on them.

For does, I prefer middle of November. Rut is pretty much done with. They still do some breeding but not a lot but bucks are starting to drop their horns and they are starting to gather in larger herds around middle of October and become a whole lot harder to hunt but didn't seem to be near as spooky in my experience.

In November though, my experience where I hunt is they have massed into even larger herds, probably for protection from predators like coyotes. They seemed to not be near as spooky towards people as they were in early to mid October. I have been able to get close to large herds this year and picked off my does within 1-3 hours of hunting on the weekends. A lot of the bucks have dropped their horns where I hunted this year.

A hint: I found the HMA I hunted on to be underwhelming so I went north to an area someone told me about and hit pay dirt. I used to tag out quickly on Nimmo and in other HMAs but seems they are letting way too many people hunt them and not only is the crowd irritating, the HMAs are typically surrounded by private that is hard to get permission from. I am sticking to the areas I hunted this year now.

The first day you can hunt with a rifle. Don't want to knock the bow hunters but antelope are troublesome quarry for that weapon.

Hunted 4 days last season last 2 days Sept first 2 days Oct in 8 point
unit and never seen another hunter. Could not find a real good buck
but what a great time with unit to ourselves.

In a higher point unit with low quota and high public? Opening day.

In a low point unit with high quota and low public? Second week and avoid weekends.

I hunted a high quota unit days 4-9. It was swamped every day except Monday. If I did it again I’d hunt the very end of the season, or else arrive before opener and scout, then try to tag out the first morning.

A week of antelope hunting is a lot unless you have a primo tag and are searching for a Booner. I think I would just do a weekend. I usually look over a bunch of bucks to see where trophy quality is in that year or if it is a new unit in that unit...then I shoot one.

I have done the opening day or weekend thing before, and it can be frustrating. I prefer going later in the season because there are less people.

Its all different depending on the unit. Easy to draw, go late

Also depends on access, how much can be driven vs need to walk.

2 units I've done in WY have convinced me to go fishing opening week next year

This season I hunted the last few days of October and I’ve never seen more bucks in one area in my life. It was fun but challenging at the same time.

I didn’t even start this thread but I appreciate the info on here a lot!

IMO earlier in the season is better. In the earlier dates of rifle, bucks are trying to keep their herds together and you can use that to your advantage. As the season progresses, they end up getting shot at for 4-6 weeks and they get kinda wary. They will take off as soon as they see anything unusual on the horizon. Once it gets late in October, they can herd up into much larger groups. More eyes, more difficult.

There's no antelope in Wyoming
This.

Seriously, Since I am (was) one of those accountant types, I usually haven't gone until after October 15th. I like going later in the year. It's cooler, there's no one there, and ranchers are more likely to give you cheap or free access to keep them from eating all their winter wheat. Since I'm slowing down, I can go earlier. But I still plan to go in early October. The caveat is that I'm not after an 80" goat. 79.5" will do just fine thank you...ok. 70" will be good also....wait, is that a doe?

Really depends alot on the unit. My sons and brother drew a mid points unit with minimal public land and we hunted the first 2 days of season and never saw another hunter. That being said, I've hunted units where the first few days can be a zoo. Really hard to go wrong though when hunting antelope in Wyoming. Good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back