Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

If you were going on a non-hunting/fishing backcountry trip, where would you go?

What you describe to me sounds like Trail Exploration...See country and keep moving...

Pacific Crest and Continental Divide trails go through some neat country. Always another section to check off...

Tahoe Rim Trail

John Muir Trail and summit Whitney.

Applegate trail from Lovelock NV, through Fandango pass near Cedarville, CA (you could do this in a SXS)

So many great ideas here! Thanks. Gonna take me a long while to stare at all these places listed on maps and google. I posted this for a couple reasons... 1) sometimes I'm dreaming over hunting pictures and knowing getting tags there is near impossible, and need to remind myself that, for the most part, I can still go there if I choose to make it happen. 2) sometimes I have an opportunity to travel outside of prime hunting season and its good to have a wish list of places to go then.

My short list before reading this post would have been S. Utah, some of that insanely rugged Idaho country, and Brooks Range, AK. Now I have many more ideas!

Sossusvlei Namibia
Nepal
Patagonia
Japan (skiing)
Alaska skiing/rafting
Borneo Diving
Fiji
Tasmania
New Zealand
on and on…

Off this list I've done Tasmania in the Cradle Mountain area.... super cool.

Backpack between rifugios in the Italian Dolomites.
Just read a book "And No Birds Sang" by Farley Mowat about Canadians fighting in Italy during WW2, and not sure if it described these areas exactly but needless to say there was a lot of miserable hiking for them under wartime conditions around Italy. I'd recommend it, and it made me want to see that countryside.

full

I'll keep going back to the Alaska range indefinitely, even though I've technically crossed climbing there off the bucket list a couple of times already...
Patagonia has also been checked off but remains on the list, I have unfinished business in the mountains there as well...
the Karakorum and Nepal are on the long-term list...
This pic the Alaska Range?

I can't imagine going into the backcountry without at lease carrying a fishing rod. I have thought about taking a week in late august going to Flatt tops in Colorado and fishing some of the small lakes and ponds that abound there. I did similar around Trapper lake, north of Gunnison a few years back and that was a fun, low impact trip.
I've also entertained a camping trip into the Superstition's just to poke around.
Hiking Kilimanjaro would be interesting and I have heard its possible to hike Aconcagua which would be pretty extreme given the altitude.

Appalachian Trail. I’ve done two sections already in ME. My bucket list plan is to hit the whole thing quick with bare necessities GA-ME.

Not exactly hiking, but along the same lines . . .
I do a lot of road biking in the summer on the 1.65 mile loop road in a park by my house - boring. We Went to see the Tetons with the family last summer and noticed a nicely paved bike path all along a big portion of their length. Coming back with my bike has been added to the bucket list. 4AC6A169-42B3-4421-B175-2F7A6C5D83F5.jpeg

North Fork of the Sun River in the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana is somewhere I would recommend to anyone. Absolutely beautiful area with adventures for anyone. You can take a trail ride over to famous Chinese Wall (part of the continental divide). I would definitely get a fishing license though. The Sun River has incredible rainbow and cutthroat fishing!!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back