Yeti GOBOX Collection

If you were going on a non-hunting/fishing backcountry trip, where would you go?

nastynate

If you were going on a backcountry or road camping/hiking trip with no tags or hunting/fishing goals, where would you go?

There are a lot of cool landscapes out there to get lost in. Which are your favorites or on your bucket list?

Pictures and stories welcome! This post largely inspired by the Wilderness Area Montage thread.... It always gets me dreaming.

colorado trail is on the bucket list

still hoping to do conundrum hot springs

long backpacking trip in the wind rivers

chicago basin

the grenadiers in the san juans

i have a very long list for this question

John Muir trail in Sierra Nevada mtns CA
Boundary waters canoe tripping MN
Titcomb traverse wind river mtn WY
Great northern canoe route new england
Hayduke trail UT

That’s off top of my head in USA there’s dozens more abroad New Zealand, Alps, Camino de Santiago, Maccu Picu, Thailand by boat,

Europe Alps. Hike from France to other countries. Spend nights in huts on the trail.
You beat me by seconds! haha

There is a wonderful trail system called Alpe Adria that begins near Trieste, goes thru Slovenia, and ends in Australia. Ive walked parts of it, mostly in Slovenia, and can say it is dog danged gorgeous. Youll never eat as good food in the mountain villages anywhere in Merka either.

Fishing is good, too!

Always though the Annapurna circuit in Nepal would be cool. Though I understand they’ve built roads through some major portions of the route which is kind of a bummer.

Other than places my wife and kids want to go, I am alarmed (but not really) by how little I am interested in non-hunting/fishing destinations. I would be happy to just visit the American west with a gun or rod in hand every year until I die. Still couldn’t see 10% of it probably.

A buddy and myself went on some atv trips which I enjoyed. Several in Colorado and one in the Black Hills. Most of the places we went were on forest service roads so jeeps could work. I think a pickup or full size suv might be doable but pretty tight in some places. I stopped going because my buddy got too many of his family going and then their friends. They wanted to run too many miles in a day and Im more of a drive to a nice stream or lookout and sitting around having a beer. I‘m not into group vacations and listening to general family squabbles . I had a lot of fun in the beginning.

Most of the places you hunt and fish are super enjoyable to check out with no agenda. For myself its more gratifying spending time with my wife and kids on a camping trip than a hunting trip. As an added bonus those trips usually don't involve 3am hikes through deadfall with a headlamp and you can eat supper in the daylight!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back