If you only wanted one animal mounted, what would you choose?

Gosh that is a tough one. Historically I'd say a Roosevelt Elk - but now I'm thinking other stuff.
I want a Dall's Sheep really bad - and I think the more unique the Horns the Better. I am still in pursuit of my first but they are amazing. I generally dislike Euro Mounts but Sheep Actually look good in Euros.
A Caribou, Pronghorn, Big Horn or Mountain Goat would be the other thoughts to.

Ive got elk, mule deer, whitetail, bobcats, antelope, and a full body mountain lion and I would get rid of them all for a shoulder mount bison. Not being from the west I don't have the ram or goat bug as bad as many here so that isn't huge on my list.

Agree with everyone saying goat - I prefer euros, but that goat cape...

Interestingly, goat are the only shoulder/full body mounts I like, but I have no plans to even try to get a tag. Something about a goat on a rocky precipice, hair swaying in the wind - I don't want to shoot one.

Marco Polo

Stone Sheep

Ibex

My grandfather told me that Weatherby had a 12 ft Polar Bear in their store in California. That would certainly get someones attention when they walked into a room

This thread is about 80 mounts and 50 years too late for me. Ever since I hung the spike antlers of my first mule deer on my college bedroom wall, I've been having my best or unique animals mounted. Each one has a story and brings back memories that I relive almost every day when I walk around my house.

My only euro mounts are a Pronghorn antelope that I just gave the cape to my taxidermist and a few months later, he gave me a euro mount of the horns and skull. The other is a euro mount of my American buffalo that he put fake horns on as the real horns are on the shoulder mount that he did for me and I look eye to eye at him every time I go out of my back door. I don't count those euro mounts in my taxidermy total. I couldn't pick a single one that I would want to get rid of, let alone pick only one to keep.

The only one that I have any regrets on is the end of season Mountain goat billy that I shot back in 1978 and I didn't have enough space for a full mount so I had a half mount done. I've kicked myself ever since.

Now that I'm older and can better afford them, I've been having more full mounts done. My taxidermist still has 8 animals of mine to be mounted, and every day I'm hoping to get a phone call that my Sitka blacktail shoulder mount or my full mount Toklat Grizzly are done and ready to be picked up.

And my bucket is not anyway near empty. If Canada drops their covid restrictions, I have a northern Alberta moose hunt scheduled for this fall, and ...

Last edited:
This thread is about 80 mounts and 50 years too late for me. Ever since I hung the spike antlers of my first mule deer on my college bedroom wall, I've been having my best or unique animals mounted. Each one has a story and brings back memories that I relive almost every day when I walk around my house.

My only euro mounts are a Pronghorn antelope that I just gave the cape to my taxidermist and a few months later, he gave me a euro mount of the horns and skull. The other is a euro mount of my American buffalo that he put fake horns on as the real horns are on the shoulder mount that he did for me and I look eye to eye at him every time I go out of my back door. I don't count those euro mounts in my taxidermy total. I couldn't pick a single one that I would want to get rid of, let alone pick only one to keep.

The only one that I have any regrets on is the end of season Mountain goat billy that I shot back in 1978 and I didn't have enough space for a full mount so I had a half mount done. I've kicked myself ever since.

Now that I'm older and can better afford them, I've been having more full mounts done. My taxidermist still has 8 animals of mine to be mounted, and every day I'm hoping to get a phone call that my Sitka blacktail shoulder mount or my full mount Toklat Grizzly are done and ready to be picked up.

And my bucket is not anyway near empty. If Canada drops their covid restrictions, I have a northern BC moose hunt scheduled for this fall, and ...
I’m with you. I have a taxidermy addiction ha ha. I don’t have 50 yet but I have a lot and more coming. Wouldn’t part with any of the mounts. Good memories and I just like having them around

When we went to Africa in 2012, I got a really nice zebra stallion. I had them cape it so I could do a pedestal mount and kept the back skin of the cape to get tanned. I realized when we got home that I really don’t have room for a zebra pedestal and never got it mounted. The tanned back skin looks great draped over the electric fireplace. I always regret not getting the whole thing tanned or a flat skin like you mentioned.
On my first hunt in Africa I shot all of the animals on my "list" plus a few more, and the last day I just rode around with one of the other hunters in our group as he was looking for a Zebra. After seeing how spooky they were and when you see a zebra mount or rug they just shout Africa.

So on my second African hunt, a zebra was high on my wish list. I have pedestal mounts of a bunch of animals and I make my own pedestals. I had seen pedestals with pieces of of backskin incorporated in the pedestal. I shot a zebra on that trip and that's how I mounted him. I think that it makes a stunning mount, and I've since mounted a couple more animals that way.
rrwxk61l.jpg

Last edited:
This one uses up surprisingly little space for a full body mount. Daughter did it as a class project. I didn't shoot it.View attachment 219577
Ok hear me out.. full lion all pissed
so something like this one...
1650459826899.png

But then have it laying flat on the ground so you can slide it under the bed...

Scare the chit out of your friends

Bighorn! Only shoulder mount I currently have is a pronghorn, and I think it looks pretty good. I think most deer look better as euro mounts and elk/moose are just too damn big unless you have the right sort of house.

On my first hunt in Africa I shot all of the animals on my "list" plus a few more, and the last day Ijust rode around with one of the other lhunters in our group as he was looking for a Zebra. After seeing how spooky they were and when you see a zebra mount or rug they just shout Africa.

So on my second African hunt, a zebra was high on my wish list. I have pedestal mounts of a bunch of animals and I make my own pedestals. I had seen pedestals with pieces of of backskin incorporated in the pedestal. I shot a zebra on that trip and that's how I mounted him. I think that it makes a stunning mount, and I've since mounted a couple more animals that way.
rrwxk61l.jpg
Cool...

My wife and family have always coaxed me to have a foam and fur shoulder mount of elk or whitetail...but I'm in the euro camp for presentation and space preference.

We were in Canton TX for First Monday a couple years ago & came across a very well taxi'd turned Elk shoulder. It had beautiful white tips...a symmetrical 330'ish six by, and the price was better than ok. My wife could not understand why I wouldn't buy it. Doubt I'd have to explain it to anyone here . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back