If you only wanted one animal mounted, what would you choose?

We were in Canton TX for First Monday a couple years ago & came across a very well taxi'd turned Elk shoulder. It had beautiful white tips...a symmetrical 330'ish six by, and the price was better than ok. My wife could not understand why I wouldn't buy it. Doubt I'd have to explain it to anyone here . . .

You're supposed to buy it and hang it over the fireplace in your ski 'cabin' (~5,000sf, 6 bed/6 bath) at Breckendridge. Then after a long day of skidding mediocre blue runs you down a few local brews, cap it with a strong Old Fashioned, and weave a great yarn about how you killed it. That's what all the other Texans do...or so I've heard ;)

Only thing I have a real hankering to see mounted is a big ol muley in full sneak pose to go in between two, right and left turns.

Full body mountain lion. As a houndsmen, they represent a lot of work and effort and also memorialize the dogs that caught him at the same time. Euros don't do a lion justice...and I like euros.

But it has to be done by someone who specializes in cats...walk around the Hunt Expo and you'll see 40 lion mounts, 3 of which look like someone other than Ray Charles mounted them.

It would not even need to be a shoulder mount. The head on a pike would do.
Now that’s a conversation piece!

There I was watching the sunrise over the Kremlin… Mist rising… the energy in the air was radioactive… I knew the elusive Putin may show himself on the grey concrete plain following the skin tone wave.

I had escouted utilizing Star Link, and spent hours researching on Wannabestrongmantalk.

Suddenly, a horse carrying a bare chested Putin appeared sniffing for Ukrainians. His beady close eyes scanning the horizon… I eased my bazooka to my shoulder praying ground shrinkage would be as drastic as I anticipated…..

Too many choices... I'd say the animal with the most memorable hunt - the animal itself and who I'm hunting with. The good news and bad news is this can change... so...

Full body mountain lion. As a houndsmen, they represent a lot of work and effort and also memorialize the dogs that caught him at the same time. Euros don't do a lion justice...and I like euros.

But it has to be done by someone who specializes in cats...walk around the Hunt Expo and you'll see 40 lion mounts, 3 of which look like someone other than Ray Charles mounted them.

Pronghorn. Though so common in some areas and considered "easier" to get, they are just so uniquely gorgeous!
Almost 50 years ago I had to get my first pronghorn mounted just because he was "so uniquely gorgeous."

Then after I moved to Montana and shot 1 or 2 antelope almost every year I began to only mount the bucks over 14", again because they were "so uniquely gorgeous" until I got 7 of them on my wall and finally had to say "enough !"

I still like hunting them, but now I'm just happy to shoot a small buck for the freezer.

I honestly just want all my money back from my taxidermy. I could go on a handful of hunts.

I have a couple sheep and a deer at the taxi that I regret dropping off. I think I'm done with taxi work. Euros out of the turkey cooker and call it good from here on out.
That would be neat. I've got many of the 'wants' mentioned in this thread, soI'd be a very wealthy retired outdoor writer, which is a rare condition. :ROFLMAO:

For me, this critter makes for one of the prettiest mounts...

TonyMtahr10b.jpg

That would be neat. I've got many of the 'wants' mentioned in this thread, soI'd be a very wealthy retired outdoor writer, which is a rare condition. :ROFLMAO:

For me, this critter makes for one of the prettiest mounts...

View attachment 221839
Didn't have room for a life-size mount.
I have a life-size skin in the freezer but think I'll make it a rug to hang from the ceiling, that way it won't take up wall space and gravity will make the mane look awesome.
20220507_131854.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back