Caribou Gear Tarp

If you only wanted one animal mounted, what would you choose?

OntarioHunter

Though my daughter and I are in the taxidermy business, I've never been much into the fur and glass eyes scene. They take up too much room, high maintenance, very often have a short shelf life, not very portable, and difficult to harmonize with other decor. Consequently, I'm not interested in having more than one or two shoulder/pedestal mounts. Not at all interested in full body mounts (though my daughter's very nice cougar is presently hogging precious wall space) or bird mounts (very high maintenance and short shelf life before they fade out).

For North America the only animal I like for shoulder mount is pronghorn. The rest are boring. International I would probably have to go with kudu. Spectacular horns and coloration. If space is a limitation, I'd go with springbok or bushbuck with the latter in the lead by a slim margin. I'm still hopeful for Eurasian ibex but only euro mount.

Pronghorn. Most striking animal you can hunt in North America. Usually are easy to hunt so may not be much of a story if someone inquires. Mountain Goat with long winter hair usually will have the best story to tell as personal injury tends to go hand in hand whether is a few lost toenails or broken bits. I find elk, deer, moose and sheep rather muted due to lack of striking coloration and short hair though if a freaky atypical then there is a place in my world to put that above the fireplace. Bear, cougar and wolf are mostly snarling teeth but a skull on the desk in the den is a nice touch. As for turkey, geese, ducks, quail, pheasant, grouse, etc, a pair of wood ducks is striking. Never much into stuffed fish and the best mounts are just air-brushed representations on fiberglass. Good thing is in your house is your rules so can do whatever blows a gust up your skirt.

I think it’s hard to beat a big old mule deer, heavy horned, and strong forks. Just a bad ass looking critter. Maybe one day!

I’ve got a mule deer, javelina and a pronghorn right now. I like the javelina the most by a long shot and kinda regret the other two. Decent chance I never get another mount

Back