Caribou Gear

If you hunt elk in MT, look here!

One thing I learned today watching the EQC meeting, you certainly don't want to heckle Ben Lamb. Toby and crew learned that also. :)

I was recording the whole meeting. Just after Ben whirled at (Red Faced, and scary) Toby, and his entourage of morons, my program froze. I lost the video of him. It was a classic. I hope someone has it saved. All I have now, is the woman in white crying that her children are going to get tape worms from sleeping with their puppy.

This is all I could save of the event.

233292-hulk_hogan___flex_american_super.jpg

As confusing as its been for me trying to figure out regulations in other states now, I've realized that Montana is probably the most confusing state of all. It really cracks me up right now how Elk, Deer, Turkey applications are due by the middle of March, but none of the reg books will be out until April. Could they make the process any more difficult, I feel like I'm chasing my tail doing research.

I was recording the whole meeting. Just after Ben whirled at (Red Faced, and scary) Toby, and his entourage of morons, my program froze. I lost the video of him. It was a classic. I hope someone has it saved. All I have now, is the woman in white crying that her children are going to get tape worms from sleeping with their puppy.

This is all I could save of the event.

233292-hulk_hogan___flex_american_super.jpg

Yep, thats how it went down and this was the last I saw of Tobey

little_girl_crying.jpg

Last edited:
Naw, that was the Oregon dude. Ben owned them.

He said he wasnt going to bring his bear dogs here, because he didn't want to lose one to a wolf. If he went to chasing bears with his hounds my guess is he would have more problems then just wolves.

Last edited:
Well for throwback Thursday I will bring this back up. Anything in the works for HB 42?

Houndy - don't give up the ship. We are not going to let the problems with the Elk Management Plan just fade away. Every time elk numbers are argued in the meetings, the EMP and HB 42 have to be brought up, as it was today.

Today some legislators talked to the Montana Sportsmen Alliance as being willing to carry language that would amend the stupidness of HB42. I think we are building support for changing the objectives and other problems found in the EMP..

At the meeting today were many people who bear some responsibility for HB 42 ad the crazy low objectives in the EMP. They came to complain about wolves and low elk numbers. Yet, in other meetings they complaini about too many elk. Which is it - too many wolves in those units, or too many elk.

Maybe I misread the looks on some faces, but I got a feeling that most everyone in the room knew they can't have it both ways. And since most hate wolves more than they hate elk, we have an opening to go after the EMP and HB 42.

When that happens, every hunter needs to be ready to weigh in on both. The last time those two items came up, we were outnumbered at every meeting, even though we are a much larger group by number. The next year is going to be the time to act.

The wolf fervor is going to be addressed with more wolf management tools in the coming year. Then, if we are really concerned about elk abundance, people will have no choice but to look at the bigger part of the equation.

I hope your chance comes to comment on the EMP objectives for your area and they get set to 350+. And when that is changed, I hope we have wolf numbers down low enough that it can happen.

We are just trying not to lose anymore ground.

The big thing is people across the state need to hold the department, and landowners to the EMP. Especially the wording on Page 55.

People point to the plan when it suits them, but ignore it when it doesn't. We can't let them get away from cherry picking what parts they like out of it.

I think HF had a new map posted in their magazine this month. Now I assume that the objectives are so low that it doesn't take much to say it's over objective.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back