Idaho sheep,goat,moose apps

I have filled my Goat and Rocky Mt.Sheep, but my 11 year old (12 in July) is in for Goat and I'm in for Ca. Bighorn. No results, but odds for 2011 are out and look good.

Well I can tell from the drawing odds that I didn't draw my goat tag.

I applied for Unit 50 and there were no nonresidents drawn for that unit.

Odds were right around what I expected with 26 folks applying for 2 tags, but looks like I just wasn't very lucky so far this year.

Oh well, I'm down to under 1% draw odds on the 2 other goat tags I've still got outstanding. Maybe I'll get really lucky on one of them.

Last edited:
No love here! I am going to china for the next several months, can I hunt Marco Polo sheep over there?

So, I tell Bugler that this year I am doing deer and elk, hell with moose. Given that no NRs applied for his recommended unit, it appears my odds were pretty good. Bad decision, Fin. Oh well, maybe I will suck it up and do moose again next year.

Good luck to all who drew. Saving my Idaho luck for a late season deer tag.

no luck for me but a buddy of mine did draw cali sheep though! same guy who tagged an Idaho goat two years ago too. at least someone has some or a lot of luck. pics will be posted this fall.

No love for me. Waiting on my wife's license number. Hopefully she took all the luck this year.

No Goat tag for me, but on the bright side, my best friend drew a sheep tag. And I'm going with him. Ain't leaving without one this time....

No love here! I am going to china for the next several months, can I hunt Marco Polo sheep over there?
I'm not sure if China opened back up for hunting. IIRC they closed hunting there for a time to foreigners. If you can hunt while there, a blue sheep would be near the top of my list!

Going back over the posted odds on the mountain goat tags and it turns out that my odds were actually much lower than I thought. Actually right at about 1/2 of what I thought.

Nonresidents are limited to 10% of the tags given out which was just 5 tags for 2011. Not sure exactly how they get to that point, but 19.4% of the applications were by nonresidents so somehow they have to get that down to 10% of the tags.

While the total number of applicants for the unit I applied for was 26 for 2 available tags which would seem to indicate drawing odds of just under 8%, by the time you factor in the cap on nonresident tags that drops down to right around 4%.

Anyone know how they limit the nonresident permits to the 10%? Do they draw everything like normal then count up the nonresidents that drew and then put them in a separate drawing to pick the 5 ultimate winners out or what?

If they did it that way they would have to then go back to the resident pool and draw again for the units that had a nonresident win then not make it in the 2nd step.

5 nonresident permits awarded out of 158 applicants is just over 3% drawing odds overall compared to 7% for residents. Pretty expensive proposistion to buy a $150 license for 3% odds.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it is still better than most raffles.

In hunts with 10 or fewer permits, nonresidents are allowed up to 1 permit. In hunts with 11-20 permits, they are allowed 2 and so on. They are ALLOWED, not ALLOTTED. This is a maximum number. The draw goes like this, (assume a draw for 10 permits with a max of 1 going to nonresident) all names go in the same draw and a name is drawn-and found to be a nonresident. The state continues to draw numbers at random-discarding any subsequent nonresident apps. The draw continues until 9 residents are drawn and then the draw is over. So, every individual entered has exactly the same odds of winning until the maximum number of nonresidents is reached, then the nonresident odds crash to zero while the resident odds increase slightly-very slightly. At least, that is my understanding of the system.

I guess they randomly decide the order that they draw the units in?

As nikster said, they don't draw by unit. They draw applications and give the person their first choice if that tag is still available. If not, they draw the next applicant.

Back