Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Fires 2021

Dixie Fire is closing in on 14K. Right now finger running down to the Salmon River.
Campbells Ferry down to Mackey Bar are all under close watch to evacuations. Fire peeps figure it will jump the Salmon River some where and head into the Payette Forest.
It's so dry in the state of Idaho right now even old burn scares will re-burn this summer.

People get all nervous about fire. You live on a Volcano you're probably going to see Lava. Live in the mountains, you're going to see smoke. It's as natural as snow in the winter, or rain in the spring. What we should be getting nervous about is things like Cheat grass that makes these fires less normal.

This fire seasons started a long time ago. It's just now showing up.

People get all nervous about fire. You live on a Volcano you're probably going to see Lava. Live in the mountains, you're going to see smoke. It's as natural as snow in the winter, or rain in the spring. What we should be getting nervous about is things like Cheat grass that makes these fires less normal.

I am one of those people who gets all nervous.

My brother sent me a photo from the Snake River the other day. That fire is reported at about 40,000 acres (mostly grass/scrub). So far, his cabin has been spared.

View attachment 187954
The size of that fire will be mind boggling before it is contained. Did they wrap the cabin?

50,000 plus now. It will probably burn all the river breaks around the snake and salmon confluence. Only hope is to keep it out of the timber on top but it has already topped out in a few spots. I was in the area a month ago and was surprised how bad some of the existing roads and fire breaks that were put in a few years ago already were

A bunch of backcountry fires as well with limited info due to lack of staff on them.

Dixie fire has a spot fire just above the Jim Moore place at Campbells ferry. It's slowly headed to Mackey Bar.
Trail Creek can be seen on the Lost Trail Pass webcam looking SE.
Mud Lick is growing and they are prepping private houses along Panther Creek. Even heard they expect it to make a run towards Salmon. Don't know about that but anything is possible right now.

I agree. Knap weed, spurge etc. scares me alot more than fire

My brother sent me a photo from the Snake River the other day. That fire is reported at about 40,000 acres (mostly grass/scrub). So far, his cabin has been spared.

View attachment 187954
I went past that place a couple of weeks ago, and about all I could think throughout the Canyon is "I'll be this place burns frequently." Dry as a bone.

Mud Lick most of the roads are closed into the area. Can't get to the Craig's now.
Midnight the smoke was coming into the house so bad the other half looked out the door to make sure there wasn't a fire close by.
Haven't seen clear skies or the mountains for a week now.
It isn't a good time to be in central Idaho right now.
Most of the Forest in Idaho have went into Stage 1 fire restrictions and they will probably will go to Stage 2 by August.
Head/read this smoke will probably be here until Sept/October.

Mud Lick most of the roads are closed into the area. Can't get to the Craig's now.
Midnight the smoke was coming into the house so bad the other half looked out the door to make sure there wasn't a fire close by.
Haven't seen clear skies or the mountains for a week now.
It isn't a good time to be in central Idaho right now.
Most of the Forest in Idaho have went into Stage 1 fire restrictions and they will probably will go to Stage 2 by August.
Head/read this smoke will probably be here until Sept/October.

Was talking with the in-laws last night (Hayden Lake), they mentioned a forecast for dry lightning in the area Sunday night. That's not helpful.

Mud Lick fire, the Black Bird and Cobalt mines and all along Panther creek to the Salmon river have been told to evacuate the area. Idaho Power has shut down the power line from Leesburg in to that area. On top of all of this we have more storm coming in on Monday with some moisture and lightning.
Now I know why I was adamant about not living inside the forest boundary.

Mud Lick fire, the Black Bird and Cobalt mines and all along Panther creek to the Salmon river have been told to evacuate the area. Idaho Power has shut down the power line from Leesburg in to that area. On top of all of this we have more storm coming in on Monday with some moisture and lightning.
Now I know why I was adamant about not living inside the forest boundary.
I passed on many places looking for the end of the rainbow.
All it took was a couple memories of raging wildfire with no stopping it cover or a stream bottom with option of no way out.Flood or fire option.
I sold my cabin in Sierras with local fire dept.,FS all over the place and some ways out.
Last year most cabins around it burned down and the trees are gone now. It survived.
Place will never be the same without that old growth forest.

Mud Lick fire, the Black Bird and Cobalt mines and all along Panther creek to the Salmon river have been told to evacuate the area. Idaho Power has shut down the power line from Leesburg in to that area.

Damn😣

Bootleg still blazing over this way as well, over 377 square miles and mostly uncontained. The fire has destroyed 67 homes and 117 outbuildings so far and they’re now saying it will likely be burning into the fall of unless we get a weather event to help knock it back. Tearing through some very good antelope country near Summer Lake right now.

I’m kinda disappointed some of the northern Idaho backcountry ones aren’t having more growth as they had a chance to do some serious good for elk habitat. We still have ways to go on fire season though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back