Idaho 2023 Big Game Regs.

bpeay4

Idaho has released the 2023 big game regulations. Definitely some significant changes from last years regs. Most notably a substantial cut in Controlled Deer and Elk hunts. Approximately 1,000 less deer and 4,000 less Elk.

A few general Elk season opportunities were further limited however some capped seasons saw an increase in tag quota so maybe not all is bad.

Haven't looked too much into them yet myself. How are you feeling about this years season structure and tag quotas???

Quick look, looks like most those cuts are anterless tags. Really need to compare them SxS to old regs to verify #s but i dont see anything drastic yet in tags i am familiar with. Thanks for heads up!

I voiced my opinion on a few things and they still split the unit 14 CWD hunt dates. I can live with picking rut and pre rut but the one that loses out is my son. If we had the full hunt dates he would be able to hunt it without missing so much school. Overall the direction is not bad and I won’t argue with the direction of the biologists. Excited to put in and see what comes out of the hat.

Quick look, looks like most those cuts are anterless tags. Really need to compare them SxS to old regs to verify #s but i dont see anything drastic yet in tags i am familiar with. Thanks for heads up!

I was gonna say, 4000 cut bull elk controlled tags?? Misleading post scared the chit out of me…

We had been overharvesting cow elk in the Bennett and pioneer zones for sure.
It's good to see the change but some of it was offset by some antlerless controlled hunts.

Interesting they published the population objective status maps by zone.(Page 34) I don't remember seeing that in there before.

I’ll probably put on my clown hat and join the circus! I’m curious if crowds go up or if every deer hunter just buys an elk tag too now.

My guess is that NR hunters with both tags are everywhere (meaning the worst zoo in ID hunting history) 10/27-11/2, then they go home. I think that middle weekend could be a good time to hunt bulls.

My guess is that NR hunters with both tags are everywhere (meaning the worst zoo in ID hunting history) 10/27-11/2, then they go home. I think that middle weekend could be a good time to hunt bulls.
I have seen a significant reduction in my little area of NRs during elk season since the 10% quota has been implemented. They may have moved elsewhere in the unit.

NR deer and elk tags have been capped at the same number for decades. Only increase is in resident hunters.

Unit 39 is big and steep, lots of roadless areas to get away from the circus.

NR deer and elk tags have been capped at the same number for decades. Only increase is in resident hunters.

Unit 39 is big and steep, lots of roadless areas to get away from the circus.
They changed the regs two or three years ago to limit the amount of NRs to 10% of each unit.

It became a unit cap combined with the overall cap on NRs tags. Big change for some competitive units.

Same number of tags - Just made NR deer hunters chose 1 unit.

Not sure how that changed hunting pressure a lot.

It does seem like more NR and resident hunters are now retired and can hunt the entire season.

Same number of tags - Just made NR deer hunters chose 1 unit.

Not sure how that changed hunting pressure a lot.

It does seem like more NR and resident hunters are now retired and can hunt the entire season.
It changed hunting pressure as some units had more than 10% NR hunters in the unit before the change. This units now have less NR hunters. There are units that were under 10% NR hunters that now have more NR hunters.

IDFG made the unit restriction as the NR hunters were denied popular units and had to switch to less popular units. It’s part of the reason for the system crash on December first when the tags go on sale now.

Incidentally I have seen less NRs since the change. They may be hunting different areas of the unit but I’m no longer pulling into trailheads and being the only resident rig.

Interesting they published the population objective status maps by zone.(Page 34) I don't remember seeing that in there before.
Don’t worry our area doesn’t technically have a branch antlered bull objective so even one is over objective

I have joked for many years that one needs a hunting and fishing attorney in order to understand everything ya' need to know.

The Idaho regs have gone from bad to worse in recent years. Even more so for the NRs.

Back