Yeti GOBOX Collection

FIRE!

I'm relatively resigned to losing our house at some point. It's just sorta the nature of the beast. I know how hot it gets and how hard the wind can blow, and with the right combination, I couldn't keep the house safe with a mile wide moat.

I'm relatively resigned to losing our house at some point. It's just sorta the nature of the beast. I know how hot it gets and how hard the wind can blow, and with the right combination, I couldn't keep the house safe with a mile wide moat.
We were told to evacuate and did not. We stayed and fought and fortunately we won.

I live in town right next to the city limits. Right next to us is 60 acres of county owned land we refer to as "The Feilds" It is nothing but tall grass, brush and weeds. The county tells private landowners to keep that sort of stuff mowed down because of the fire danger but says it is too expensive to keep "The Felids" mowed. So, over the years there have been a few fires out there. This morning I was awakened at 4:00 AM by a text from my daughter, saying that "The Feilds" was on fire. It turned out that the fire was on an adjacent property in a small patch of timber referred to as Sherwood Forest by the sheriff's department, because of all the illegal activity that goes on there.

Now, we are less than three years removed from our own Maui experience and with all the news about Maui along with the constant warnings about how bad the fire danger is right now, people in the neighborhood got a bit excited. Not quite a panic but close. I told the wife that it was cool, the humidity was around 55%, no wind and crews were already on the line. Nothing to worry about. The fire is out now, but she is still out there running around getting all worked up about it, with all the neighbors.

"The fields" has burned in its entirety three times in the last 40 years and each time everyone gathered to enjoy the show. A little community entertainment on a hot summer's day. Now everyone is put into an emotional state of fear and dread by a little 5-acre burn. Funny how that works. I guess that is what happens to a person's perspective three years after your house along half the town burns down.
Just don't fart with metal mesh underwear on and you'll be less of a fire hazard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back