Caribou Gear

Not-Karen incident while bike riding.

44hunter45

Had to choose between dumping the bike or eating a Ford Explorer yesterday.

MRS45 had some business in town and I told her I would ride my bike in and take care of it. Road the 4 miles to town and was coming into the office parking lot when an Explorer starting backing out right in front of me. I turned a hard right and dumped it. The 50ish woman driver finished backing out and drove off without even seeing me. This in spite of me challenging the legitimacy of her marriage and children at the top of my lungs.

I had seen that the rig was there with the engine running, but it looked like there was no one in the vehicle. There was no one in the space to her right, so I had somewhere to land. I guess I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. It's a small town and I know who she is, but I kinda feel like I contributed to the incident. I'm just gonna leave it there.

Came away with a sore wrist and a scraped knee.

Paid the bill and started home. Tough ride uphill back home with the adrenaline dumping.

The elbow surgery…is she having Tommy John surgery done?
Surgeon did not say that name. She needs to have the interior (closest to ribs) knob of her humerus screwed back onto the low end of the humerus, which is also fractured across its full width. Surgery involves plates screwed on the inside and outside of the base of the humerus. Big incision on forearm, around elbow, up toward triceps. Surgeon has to move ulnar nerve out of the way. He considered full replacement but that would have less range of motion. She is likely to lose some range of motion, probably won't be able to straighten elbow past 20 degrees. He does all that in day surgery, nerve block in shoulder, we go home after the 2 hourish surgery. She goes under the knife @ 6 am, surgery center is 60 miles from our house. We'll start hunting-early on Tuesday.

Isnt being a karen involve some kind of rediculous confrontation? Sounds like she was clueless on what happened.
Technically true but my definition includes middle aged women in SUVs they should not be driving.
Just like riding on a motorcycle, you need the mindset that you are invisible. As my motorcycle instructor said 20 years ago, 'Having the right of way doesn't make you any less dead.'
Years ago my motorcycle instructor told me to watch out for middle aged women in expensive cars. He said they are the ones that will hit you and say they didn't you.
I hope the wrist and knee are functional. Last week Mrs. Duds got a yoga injury. We'll be enjoying elbow surgery on Tuesday.
Only my pride and my zen were injured to any degree. Felt that post crash achiness today. I think that was more from the adrenaline dump. Ironic that is the knee I just got a clean MRI on.

I hope Mrs Duds surgery goes good.

I’m glad you are OK 44. I must be honest… it’s January and I’m not really looking for a bicyclist. Windows in the vehicle are up, maybe heater and radio on. When backing out of a parking place , mirrors and vigilance don’t cover every angle.

Had to choose between dumping the bike or eating a Ford Explorer yesterday.

MRS45 had some business in town and I told her I would ride my bike in and take care of it. Road the 4 miles to town and was coming into the office parking lot when an Explorer starting backing out right in front of me. I turned a hard right and dumped it. The 50ish woman driver finished backing out and drove off without even seeing me. This in spite of me challenging the legitimacy of her marriage and children at the top of my lungs.

I had seen that the rig was there with the engine running, but it looked like there was no one in the vehicle. There was no one in the space to her right, so I had somewhere to land. I guess I couldn't see her and she couldn't see me. It's a small town and I know who she is, but I kinda feel like I contributed to the incident. I'm just gonna leave it there.

Came away with a sore wrist and a scraped knee.

Paid the bill and started home. Tough ride uphill back home with the adrenaline dumping.
It sounds like it could have been worse had you not seen it a few seconds later. I have seen to many bike/car accidents and the biker usually looses the most! Glad you’re ok ish!

Who's the Karen?

Heh, just messing around - though asking for a friend. 🤣

As a young buck, CBR's, XT350, and eventually graduated to a fatboy... Vehicle drivers accurate stereotype fits, common quick check are mostly car size +. Cyclists and motorbikes often overlooked.

Cyclists, on the other hand, take stop signs as right of way, pedal on through. Kids... Okay, still learning though adults? Simply a head shaker. *Not saying 44/45 is one of those clowns - merely another common stereotype for cyclists.

Meh, maybe just me. Need to turn off my own inner Karen. 🤣

Who's the Karen?

Heh, just messing around - though asking for a friend. 🤣

As a young buck, CBR's, XT350, and eventually graduated to a fatboy... Vehicle drivers accurate stereotype fits, common quick check are mostly car size +. Cyclists and motorbikes often overlooked.

Cyclists, on the other hand, take stop signs as right of way, pedal on through. Kids... Okay, still learning though adults? Simply a head shaker. *Not saying 44/45 is one of those clowns - merely another common stereotype for cyclists.

Meh, maybe just me. Need to turn off my own inner Karen. 🤣
A common expression used by myself and scooter buds about cage operators was, "watch em closely and be ready, if they ain't on the phone, they ain't breathing."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back