Yeti GOBOX Collection

Central Idaho Unit 20 (Deer)

cc93cruiser

Hello all. Just recently signed up in the forum and I have to say there is a wealth of knowledge here with all our fellow forum members! Glad to be part of it. As the title states, was wondering if anyone out there wants to share any experiences, advice, knowledge on unit. I am not looking for specifics or someone's honey hole, just something to work with. I have hunted Idaho in the past with my father back in early to mid 00s, but he is now 80 years old and really has a hard time getting around. My 18 year old son is my go to partner now. He's young and strong as an ox and definitely excited to hit the Idaho wilderness with his old man (I'm not as old as he thinks/says-42). I am looking at putting my son on his 1st buck. Never been a trophy hunter, as long as its a nice mature buck, it will be meat on the table for family. Anyways, was wondering what the general consensus was on the unit ( deer herd population, terrain, habitat..) I will be contacting a game biologist from area later on the year, just wanted to see what peeps on here have to say about unit. I searched and there are very few posts/threads on area. I see there are 2 hubs/entrances to wilderness area. Darby, MT on the eastern end of zone and Dixie ID on southwestern.. Are these good places to start? I will be traveling from California so leaning towards the Dixie side.. Thanks guys in advance. I can give advice on just any D zone in California, but I am sure most hunters have no intentions on coming California to hunt.. Oh yeah, I love Land Cruisers! I know, random right?

Expect to spend a lot of time glassing without seeing much. There’s a lot of gravel driving from either direction.

Most of these gravel roads have washboard so make sure you are not taking a truck you care about. Buy a wolf and bear tag while you are there. Lots of outfitter horse camps along the roads. Bring rain gear.

PS welcome to hunt talk

Most of these gravel roads have washboard so make sure you are not taking a truck you care about. Buy a wolf and bear tag while you are there. Lots of outfitter horse camps along the roads. Bring rain gear.

PS welcome to hunt talk
Thanks for input! Our non-resi regular deer tags are good for Black Bear, Lion or Wolf. If we don't see any mature bucks, we will help out the local deer herd pop and try and take one of these predators!

Thanks for input! Our non-resi regular deer tags are good for Black Bear, Lion or Wolf. If we don't see any mature bucks, we will help out the local deer herd pop and try and take one of these predators!
You can pick up wolf and reduced price mt lion and bear tags cheap. I would recommend getting one of each instead of relying on the $351+ deer tag.

Weather could get bad in a hurry so be prepared to deal with it and have a good exit strategy. The road you’re most likely looking at has serious rough spots but was/is seeing some work being done for improvements. I’ve also heard it can get narrow and congested with horse trailers at times

Each of those tags are like 30 bucks for a non resident. There are only two roads into the unit. The trailheads from going in there are very remote and time consuming to get to. You better have a saw/ax in your truck for clearing fallen trees and maybe tow straps and chains depending on the time of year. There is a reason so many people float in or fly into these remote units.

PS welcome to hunt talk
Weather could get bad in a hurry so be prepared to deal with it and have a good exit strategy. The road you’re most likely looking at has serious rough spots but was/is seeing some work being done for improvements. I’ve also heard it can get narrow and congested with horse trailers at times
Well, I have a number of cruisers built for overland/offroad traverse (winches/oversize offroad tires etc) so this shouldn't be an issue, we'll too much. I did want to take my cummins with a cabover to have a hotel on wheels, but might become an issue if weather strikes.. It does also have oversize tires winch etc... We see, my son seems to love the idea of flying in.. Either rig will do on the drive up there

Attachments

• 20220303_103141.jpg
    20220303_103141.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210612_055127.jpg
    20210612_055127.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210611_194605.jpg
    20210611_194605.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
You could hike the 3.5 miles in along the river from corn creek bar. Plenty of trails shoot off the river trail to work up drainages and glass. Anyway you go about it this is going to be a tough hunt just how I like it! Go get em!

Well, I have a number of cruisers built for overland/offroad traverse (winches/oversize offroad tires etc) so this shouldn't be an issue, we'll too much. I did want to take my cummins with a cabover to have a hotel on wheels, but might become an issue if weather strikes.. It does also have oversize tires winch etc... We see, my son seems to love the idea of flying in.. Either rig will do on the drive up there
People have done the Dixie-Darby in campers. YMMV. High summer vs later fall are a lot different. In October, it can 70°F one day and have a foot of snow the next. Like @TheTone said, you have to have an exit plan.
I have never flown in, but hear it is not as expensive as you would think. There are some cool vids of guys that have flown in and rafted out to Riggins. I've always wanted to put in at Corn Creek and make the raft run. The odds are actually pretty good you can see a shooter in that run. Some hunt sheep that way too.

Make sure those tires are 6 or ten ply. These are not gravel roads. Most have tire killing sharp rocks that will find the weakest link. I sacrificed a set of 4 ply to the mountains two year ago.

Make sure those tires are 6 or ten ply. These are not gravel roads. Most have tire killing sharp rocks that will find the weakest link. I sacrificed a set of 4 ply to the mountains two year ago.
I run same tire size on both these rigs, 37x12.5 patagonias, which are 8 ply on this size... should be good to go.. We do a lot of wheelin on rocky terrain out here in California, so I've always tried to buy tires with good sidewall protection (even though I've heard of guys ripping thru the sidewalls on these patagonia mts) I also have a spare tire and a tire repair kit).

I've been back there a few times. Only have hunted it early. Had a unit 20 sheep tag in '91 after the big die off. Saw no rams.

Deer Season Sept 15 - Nov 18.

Driving in would be fine until about Oct 15th, usually. Bring lots of gear. Dixie to Darby is a slow great view drive.

A late hunt on the main Salmon with a river outfitter dropping you off for 7 - 10 days would be fun. Fishing too. Could bring friends.

Last edited:
Hello all. Just recently signed up in the forum and I have to say there is a wealth of knowledge here with all our fellow forum members! Glad to be part of it. As the title states, was wondering if anyone out there wants to share any experiences, advice, knowledge on unit. I am not looking for specifics or someone's honey hole, just something to work with. I have hunted Idaho in the past with my father back in early to mid 00s, but he is now 80 years old and really has a hard time getting around. My 18 year old son is my go to partner now. He's young and strong as an ox and definitely excited to hit the Idaho wilderness with his old man (I'm not as old as he thinks/says-42). I am looking at putting my son on his 1st buck. Never been a trophy hunter, as long as its a nice mature buck, it will be meat on the table for family. Anyways, was wondering what the general consensus was on the unit ( deer herd population, terrain, habitat..) I will be contacting a game biologist from area later on the year, just wanted to see what peeps on here have to say about unit. I searched and there are very few posts/threads on area. I see there are 2 hubs/entrances to wilderness area. Darby, MT on the eastern end of zone and Dixie ID on southwestern.. Are these good places to start? I will be traveling from California so leaning towards the Dixie side.. Thanks guys in advance. I can give advice on just any D zone in California, but I am sure most hunters have no intentions on coming California to hunt.. Oh yeah, I love Land Cruisers! I know, random right?
Were you and your son able to get on some bucks? I live in Missoula MT now but grew up in Quincy CA and hunted deer in D3-5 and drove an old beat up 80 series crusier haha!

Anyways I’m really interested in what you saw/experienced if you are willing to share! I’m looking at getting a selway zone elk tag and hunting off the river for the November season with that tag, in unit 20. Put in a corn creek and take out at vinegar creek. I know that’s risky with the ice weather but I think it would be an awesome adventure.

Hope you were able to get your son a beautiful idaho wilderness buck! If you ever want more hunting spots in D3 I can gladly help you there too!

Cheers and happy thanksgiving!

Between working a full-time job, raising a couple teenagers and now a 7 month old, I thought I would have more time to hunt this area, but with everything going on as mentioned I was only able to hunt about a week in mid Oct.

We decided to enter through the northern part of the zone via Elk City. We hunted the trailheads that were off Magruder Rd, it borders the 16A zone. 2 things, we hiked our butts off to see absolutely no deer (Well, one White-Tail Doe), as a matter of fact hardly any signs of life! The whole area had recently been burned, I would say within a yr or 2. We decided to stick to area since the new vegetation might attract some animals, well the week we were there we seen no Deer.

We did however see a small herd of Elk. My son and I packed in to Boston Mtn. Hike in to Boston Mtn was around 5 miles and not too bad, once you summit the Mtn, you have a view for days and the country gets steep! I wanted to stick to a zone so I could learn the country well, but won't be hunting this zone again this year. I am sure the unit produces, I just did not hunt long enough.. Back to the Challis area and Lemhi Mtns this upcoming year. Will be the 1st time hunting the eastern part highway 93..

Last edited:
Couple pics...

Attachments

• 20231004_074038.jpg
    20231004_074038.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20231004_074042.jpg
    20231004_074042.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231005_145246.jpg
    20231005_145246.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12